L5p Love hate relationship - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

L5p Love hate relationship

2019 3500 Duramax with 5538 miles going back to dealership on Wednesday. Purchased new with 7 miles on it. I live 17 miles out of town so it gets 30-40 miles of freeway when I drive it.
Love- comfort and power for pulling car trailer with no effort!
Here’s my hate- I’m on my 4th tank of DEF. Maybe the first one from dealer wasn’t full but wow 3 tanks at 5,000 miles..
regen mode- I think this truck is constantly in regen mode! The bad part that sparked this post. Friday I get home and about 4’ from my garage door (still in drive, foot on the brake) waiting for the garage door to open so I can pull in. The truck kicks into regen and jumps forward with the higher idle (500 rpms to 850-900 rpm). Sunday I was going to hook a trailer up and slowly backing up.. about 16” from the trailer the truck surged into higher rpm and hits the trailer... not a happy surprise!
Really hope gm can get this wild horse under control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavilion450 View Post
2019 3500 Duramax with 5538 miles going back to dealership on Wednesday. Purchased new with 7 miles on it. I live 17 miles out of town so it gets 30-40 miles of freeway when I drive it.
Love- comfort and power for pulling car trailer with no effort!
Here’s my hate- I’m on my 4th tank of DEF. Maybe the first one from dealer wasn’t full but wow 3 tanks at 5,000 miles..
regen mode- I think this truck is constantly in regen mode! The bad part that sparked this post. Friday I get home and about 4’ from my garage door (still in drive, foot on the brake) waiting for the garage door to open so I can pull in. The truck kicks into regen and jumps forward with the higher idle (500 rpms to 850-900 rpm). Sunday I was going to hook a trailer up and slowly backing up.. about 16” from the trailer the truck surged into higher rpm and hits the trailer... not a happy surprise!
Really hope gm can get this wild horse under control.

i dont have an L5P, but i cant imagine they are THAT different from the LML. That amount of DEF is ridiculously high. If memory serves its supposed to be closer to either a gallon or a tank every 5K (cant remember which) either way your way past that. Ive used less than 5 gallons in 10k miles so far. The exact amount is unknown since i dont know how full the tank was from the dealer, but its at the absolute most 2 tanks.

I also have never experienced the truck jump forwards (or backwards) when regen starts, unless you were just barely touching the brake or something.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Allison Transmission (stock)

Last edited by J83; 04-08-2019 at 02:53 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 PM

Garage
So far over the two years I've owned my '17 L5P, I have filled my DEF tank probably 3-4 times per year driving 70 miles round trip to work. Roughly factors to about 5-6K miles per tank. At 5,000 miles you should be just about ready to re-fill it for the first time.

I see regens about once a week or If I had to guess... about every 350 miles. Hope that helps.

Stock '17 L5P Chevy, Midnight Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:33 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Mines only got about 13,500 miles.

So far, have only added def once.
It was sometime after the 1000 mile warning, which iirc, occured with about 22% on def gauge (the math on those don't work, but I think that's what it was.)

Currently it's at about 250 miles to empty. Since it's below the '300 mile to empty' warning, so gives a reminder each time it is started. I

When it gets to empty, the next warning is 500 miles to 65 mph speed limit'. Still debating if I will want to see that message.

(after 65 mph limit, it's another 75 miles to 55mph limit, then another 75 miles to 5 mph limit)

I'm not using the truck much over the winter. My decision may depend on when longer runs or higher usage enter the picture.

DEF consumption is related to the amount of fuel used. For comparison, lifetime this one is somewhere around 18 mpg.

Pavillion450, how much def are you adding each time?

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:52 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Usage is typically 1-1.5% of fuel usage...... so a full DEF tank (7 gal) should last about 700 gal of fuel.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

I’ve added 4-5 gallons each time the 1000 mile message comes on.
I set up an appointment to take the truck into the dealership. On my way home yesterday I wanted to see if I could get it to kick out of regen mode. About 60 miles later and almost 1/4 tank of fuel it did... now when I take it in tomorrow “there’s nothing wrong”.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:48 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

My 18 sips DEF, A full tank will EASILY last me 10-12K KM (7500 Miles)
reneg likes this.

2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain
275/65/20 Goodyear Wrangler
Kryptonite Stage II Level
Banks iDash 1.8

Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:19 PM

I have the same issue with my truck when hauling. On my 1500 mile trip from Massachusetts->Florida hauling my 5th wheel (11mpg average on the trip), I got a low DEF warning about 200-300 miles in. Filled it with 4 gallons DEF (I was used to my LML with a 5 gallon tank). 1k miles later in Georgia I get a warning at 30 %, I ignore it figuring I could make it to florida, 5 miles later it comes on I have less than 50 miles until it goes into limp mode. I filled it with another 4 gallons there. Then I took it to a dealer my 2nd day in florida.

Chevy dealer told me this was normal behavior. Then they supposedly did a software update when I pressured them that is definitely not normal consumption to need over 4 gallons of DEF for 1000 miles, even when hauling.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:53 AM

I wanted to add here, after they reprogrammed my computer, my DEF consumption seems to have gone down. I haven't refilled my DEF for 2500 miles and I haven't received any warning of low DEF from the truck, that was with me only putting in 4 gallons last time in Georgia.
drzoo2 likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:35 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I'm not using much DEF in my 18'. Regens are in the 300-350 mile range, but I do a lot of stop and go diving in traffic. I recently installed an Edge CTS2 and after using it for a bit I think it's pretty useful add-on, especially if you have to do stop and go driving mixed with longer freeway routes. I'm still getting used to monitoring the soot levels so I can trigger the mobile regen but it's handy to trigger it when it's getting close to needing a regen in the event you need to do a lot of short stops. IMO GM should have this functionality built into the truck. I know the GM party line is that a regen is supposed to be a "non event', but if the truck needs to go into a regen and you are doing lots of short stops it just needlessly burns diesel and does a piss-poor job of cleaning out the DPF.
Now, if it were really smart it would learn your driving patterns and anticipate when it thought you were going to be on a longer run and trigger a regen then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in