Vibration in truck/Steering wheel under acceleration only - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Vibration in truck/Steering wheel under acceleration only

Hello,

I have a 2019 3500HD L5P Dually.

I have been chasing down a shake in the truck since I bought it. Had tires balanced/Road force balanced by the dealers so that is taken out of the equation for me at this point. This definitely made the shakes in the truck quite a bit better but there is still a lingering issue that the dealer is saying "that's just what the truck does".

When I'm accelerating from 65-72, especially with a load, the whole truck will start to shake. When it's cold it's minor and just a nuisance. Once the truck warms up after 15-20 miles of highway it continues to get's worse until it get's to just a stable shake through the truck while maintaining in the 65-72 speed range. It seems to be tied to engine revs to a certain degree as I can feel it shaking at bit when accelerating at lower RPMS from 45 to 55 as well, but it's not as pronounced as 65-72. When towing it gets especially bad going up a hill/accelerating up a hill.

Once I let go of the fuel the shake completely disappears. This goes doubly so towing and going down a hill after a climb. If I accelerate faster than 65/72 and let off the throttle, there is no shake in this speed range, it smooths out completely as it decelerates. I don't need to put it in neutral/take it out of gear either.

I duplicated it for the tech and service manager and they acknowledged the truck is doing it and explained it as being "economy mode" to try and save fuel or some weird explanation so it causes some shaking, but it's a constant shake, so I'm not convinced. It went through 3 techs at the dealer apparently and they all think there is nothing wrong. They said they checked the mounts for cracking or any issues and didn't see anything that would cause this kind of engine feedback, they rechecked tire balancing and they did some checks to the transmission.

I'm kind of at a loss here as to what the issue is that could cause this vibration from the engine and give this info to get GM to actually fix it. I owned an LML before this that definitely didn't have this issue so I know it's not something the "truck just does".

Any insight is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:00 PM

I donít know, but do you have a cts2 or something to monitor lockup of torque converter. It may be locking unlocking rapidly under acceleration.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Is a CTS2 a tuner like the Banks? I don't have a tuner so I don't have access to this information. I was contemplating adding a banks Ram air intake+ banks derringer but since the truck shakes I hesitate to drop 1k to tune the truck if it's already having some form of drivetrain issue. Would a banks have Torque converter information as well?

I wanted to add, I also feel some feedback in the steering wheel with the shake that completely goes away when I remove the throttle. The best way I could describe the shake is that it feels like the truck is driving on a rocky/gravel surface while on smooth highway roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:20 PM

No, itís not a tuner, just a monitor. I have mine setup to monitor which gear and wether the converter is locked or not.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Is the Derringer able to monitor Torque converter lockup?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:22 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I'm always suspicious when someone joins and immediately posts two 'difficult to resolve' issues on two different threads, but anyway....

Is this the same dealer feeding you the nonsense about the DEF usage?

Time to give up on the service adviser and move up the chain at the dealership.

Service manager, then GM, then the contacts listed in the back of the owners manual.

The def consumption and the vibration under load or NOT normal, no matter what the service adviser is saying.

Keep your cool.
As they say, "you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY

Last edited by redwngr; 04-10-2019 at 05:25 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

In terms of the def issue I was sharing my similar problem to the op. That wasn't something inoriginally posted about. They reprogrammed it as I said and my DEF consumption seems to have leveled out. I have 2500 miles since the reprogram and I haven't gotten a warning light for def low since. I was just saying I've encountered the same issue. I am also not going to that dealer anymore since it took them 3 days to road force balance 2 tires. I'll post that in the other thread.

The service advisor rode with the director today, the director was the one that made up the story about the economy mode and told the adviser to tell me. The adviser seems to believe me and told me to bring it one day when its warmed up and the issue is really rearing its head. The problem is I'd need my trailer hooked up to make it so obvious they can't just disregard it. Its hard for me to do this as its also the trailer im living in as I fulltime rv right now so I cant just hook it up and bring it to them with the trailer attached.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 AM

How many miles on the truck and when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? I had this happen not on my truck, but a different diesel and it did the same thing. Ended up being a plugged up fuel filter that didn't register as being plugged.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Truck has 4k miles. Bought it in October 2018. It's done this since I bought it brand new. It seemed ok on my test drive, took it up to highway speeds but I didn't feel much, on my drive home from the dealer which was a much longer drive I felt it. That's what started the saga.

How difficult is it to remove the filter on this, does this require the tank to be dropped at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode