Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Loud Buzzing Sound From Outside of Truck

11K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  redwngr 
#1 ·
I did a search, and couldn't find any info on this. My truck has a little over 400 miles on it, and sometimes it makes a loud "buzzing" sound that seems to be coming from the right side of the truck. I actually think it sounds like a resonance from the exhaust vibrating another piece of metal. Or, the transmission torque converter. It only does this infrequently and during slow speeds, and when I accelerate. It doesn't do this consistently. I already have an appointment with the dealership next week, when I return home. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of such an issue. Other than the occasional "buzzing" sound, I've been content with the truck. First fill up, I got 20.59 mpg (highway, calculated by math, not a computer). Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Check your egr up pipe heat shield, I had a vibrating/buzzing sound coming from there. Just be careful not to over tighten the bolts, you don’t wanna shear one of those suckers like I did. The attached pic is the right side of the engine, and I circled where it was coming from on mine. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
Thank you very much for the info!!!! I thought it could be coming from under the hood. Again, many thanks for sharing this. I'm taking the truck to the dealership service department next week to get the bigger mirrors installed, I'll see if they can "snug" up those bolts just a bit. This buzzing sound is so inconsistent. Today, no noise at all. Thanks again!!!

#6 ·
First post. I joined because of this problem on my 2017. It’s about to drive me insane as it happens for the first 15 minutes of driving around 1200 rpm. My commute is only 20 minutes so it’s pretty agonizing because it resonates so much. Just a constant buzz that I assume is from some heat shield since it tends to go away after warming up fully.

I’ll check tomorrow to see if that downpipe has any loose bolts on mine. I’ve already checked all the heater core lines. Also, is it normal for the air filter box to have some play in it?

#7 ·
Is this heat shield on the top passenger side of the engine normally a little loose? The bolts are plenty tight and I can't tighten then down anymore with stripping the threads. If this heat shield isn't supposed to be loose then I'll have to cut down the bolts. The egt down pipe heat shield doesn't have any play.

#9 ·
Is this heat shield on the top passenger side of the engine normally a little loose? The bolts are plenty tight and I can't tighten then down anymore with stripping the threads. If this heat shield isn't supposed to be loose then I'll have to cut down the bolts. The egt down pipe heat shield doesn't have any play.
Thicker, or additional washers might be easier...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.