Best brand of diesel - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Question Best brand of diesel

Do any of you guys favor one brand of diesel over other brands ?
And if you do, why?

2018 GMC 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6 L
Z-71 package 4 X 4 with 20" 265 X 60R tires
Crew Cab with 6.5' box
Manufactured 5-2018
Bought 12-17-2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 PM

I personally believe that brand is less important than getting your fuel at a reputable station that moves a lot of diesel. I have been doing this for nearly 10 years now and have not had a single fuel related problem.
J83, Deathpiggy, 407driver and 3 others like this.

2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW CCSB LML
Stock Powertrain | Morimito XB Fogs | WeatherTech Mats
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB LML - SOLD
ECM/TCM tuned by Kory Willis @PPEI | Fass 150 Titanium w/ sump | 5" Flo-Pro w/ FTE Resonator
Edge Insight CS w/ pyro | Bilstein 5100's | Goodyear DuraTrac 285/60R20 | WeatherTech Mats
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I prefer Costco diesel, best price and they carry only Top Tier diesel, but I am lucky having a rare Costco with diesel fuel location only a mile from my house.

Below is a cetane rating for branded diesel fuels that I found on the internet last year ... can’t vouch for its accuracy or how old it is ... may not even be relevant anymore.

I do however try to use Chevron or Conoco when out of town just in case this comparison is accurate.

BP (Amoco branded), 51
Chevron, 49 (51 with Techron D)
ConocoPhillips, 48 (California 48-53)
PetroCanada, 47-51
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46
Marathon 45
Exxon/Mobile, 43-46
BP, 40-42 (Powerblend 47)
HESS, 40-45
Husky, 40 (Max 41-45)
Sunoco, 40 (Sunoco Gold 45)
Holiday Stations, 40-43
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Sheetz: 40
Flying J, 40

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Fabtech 4 Lift w/ 35s, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Valor Wheels, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

The major brands sell on their reputation.
One of the ways to loose reputation is to have national sized highway fleets figure out that they have more trouble with trucks that fill at a certain brand.

Discounters sell on, well, their discount.
One of the possible ways to sell it cheaper is not include as much of an additive package.

I'm sure there are exceptions to both.

But no matter what, g35 has good advice -- get it somewhere that moves a lot of fuel.
Sometimes the same brand will be available in a local neighborhood car focused station and at a nearby high volume truck oriented location.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:14 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

ALWAYS pay with a credit card. If and when your local station pass's a crappy load of fuel on to the public, you have proof of the day, time, quantity, and type of fuel purchased.

A friend fly's a Beech Baron and got a load of 100LL, mixed with Jet A.

Chevron bought him two brand new Continental IO-550's... because he had undeniable proof of when, where, and how much fuel he bought.
JimmyD, J83, eli_harper13 and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:06 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35_83 View Post
I personally believe that brand is less important than getting your fuel at a reputable station that moves a lot of diesel. I have been doing this for nearly 10 years now and have not had a single fuel related problem.
Almost stranded on the highway and had the truck dead for a day and a half due to not buying from a highway servicing pump, I've not made that mistake again since!

2017 GMC 2500 Denali HD
Bump steering explained
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:46 AM

This is so dependent on market. Where I live (Savannah, GA) isn't on a pipeline and everything comes in by ship to a single distributor. They buy bulk raw D2 on price. Transport trucks pull their load and get the appropriate additive package. If branded stations sell for something more than the discount stations then redwngr is correct, the cost difference is probably in the additive package. The advice of buying from a station that moves a lot of product is sound. Notice that not all branded stations carry branded diesel. That single green diesel pump at the Shell station isn't dispensing branded Shell fuel. The pump should clearly state it's Shell, Sunoco, Chevron, whatever diesel.

Overall our fuel appears to be better quality than the list UTEngineer posted. Infineum is a world wide joint venture between XOM and Shell and one of the largest formulators of fuel and oil additives. They publish an annual survey of winter diesel worldwide. US diesel starts on page 141. Unfortunately brand is not published.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/medi...0-14112018.pdf

2019 GMC 2500HD
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:36 AM

Like already said, go with a location that has a lot of traffic. I bought diesel at citgo, which supposedly has good diesel in Syracuse NY, but I guess they did not move a lot of diesel. I got summer blend in the middle of winter and had gelling the next day. I avoided that station like the plague even though I drove pass it to work and back.
I always use to like shell as I like their V power gas, but about 10 yrs ago I started to notice that it clearly says on the diesel pump "Not a Shell Product". I stopped going there and tried to wait till I passed a conoco / Phillips 66. I did however note that the shell station here in Tucson close to my work sells Shell diesel, so will give that a shot. We also have QT that has a lot of diesel business, so worse case, their diesel is fresh.

UTEngineer - Lucky you, I have not yet seen a Costco with diesel. Don't have any of those here in Tucson, but Costco's website lists some in Pheonix.

04 lb7 wrapped in a GMC crew cab,
Mike L built Allison, ProFab Intake horn & downpipe, Banks air intake & monster exhaust, ATP Efi Live, 165 gph Airdog II, PPE BIV, Rare parts tie rods, TTX Tough Terrain ball joints, Moog Problem solver Pitman and Idler. Stock suspension height
Last Dyno: 411.18 Hp - 893.897 lb-f* Edge
Last 1/4m: 13.8 @ 105 Mph "ish" Efi

2019 Colorado ZR2 Duramax
Bone stock
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:49 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
I like any straight diesel no bio junk. I get better mileage with straight diesel. any station with quick turnover is usually good.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:05 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
ALWAYS pay with a credit card. If and when your local station pass's a crappy load of fuel on to the public, you have proof of the day, time, quantity, and type of fuel purchased.

A friend fly's a Beech Baron and got a load of 100LL, mixed with Jet A.

Chevron bought him two brand new Continental IO-550's... because he had undeniable proof of when, where, and how much fuel he bought.
Doesn't a cash receipt do the same thing?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in