Thinking of switching from Cummins - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of switching from Cummins

I have owned one ton Cummins since 2004. A 2004, 2009 and currently a srw 2017 aisin. Because of the price right now and the need/want for a dually am considering switching over to a 2019 drw high country. I really like the ride and acceleration that my current truck doesn’t have. I have analysis paralysis looking up threads of issues with this new motor. My question is: are there any known common issues or is it just like the Ram forum and 10 guys out of thousands make it seem like the sky is falling? Are most of you happy with you’re truck? Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:05 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Happy with my 2018 2500 Duramax. I realize it isn't a 3500 DRW, but I have almost 17k on the L5P with no issues. There is a recall on the block heater cords that hasn't been remedied yet, but it is only an issue in cold climates.(like mine)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:17 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooteroasis5 View Post
I have owned one ton Cummins since 2004. A 2004, 2009 and currently a srw 2017 aisin. Because of the price right now and the need/want for a dually am considering switching over to a 2019 drw high country. I really like the ride and acceleration that my current truck doesn’t have. I have analysis paralysis looking up threads of issues with this new motor. My question is: are there any known common issues or is it just like the Ram forum and 10 guys out of thousands make it seem like the sky is falling? Are most of you happy with you’re truck? Thanks for the replies.
your experience on any product forum is almost certainly going to be skewed by the higher percentage of users coming there for problems, than the number of users posting about how well there product works. That's the same on the dodge forums and here

Personally, i would buy an LML only because the L5P is so new, and in a pinch, you can still delete an LML with ease. I suspect like every other duramax, theres going to be something that is a "common" issue, but like the other trucks it will get blown out of proportion on the forums. If you like the way the L5P drives and pulls, since from what i hear its significantly different than the older trucks, then go for it, your not rolling the dice with any more risk than buying any other early production platform.

That said, for various reasons, paint, fitment, build quality, emissions reliability, god awful hideous front ends ect, my next truck will likely be a cummins.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:31 PM

Welcome to the site. This site, like I am sure any Dodge and Ford forum sites, sees a fair number of people who come from one brand for one reason or another, and those who go to another brand for one reason or another. The Big Three all make great Diesels. Some have advantages and disadvantages over the others, but I don't see any one clear winner that stands out more than another. You'll be just fine with a 2019 Duramax. No major issues that i've noticed.

2012 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 D-Max
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:37 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
Funny the guy that now owns my 2010 went from a 2014 ram dually, loves my old truck. It's up to about 870,000 miles now.

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 620,000 miles

2013 LT CC & Chassis with 9' Hillsboro Aluminum flatbed - over 82,000 miles
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the truck. Now got to figure a good marinade for crow for all the guys at work that I might have razzed over the years about duramax/Allison.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 05:08 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooteroasis5 View Post
Thanks guys. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the truck. Now got to figure a good marinade for crow for all the guys at work that I might have razzed over the years about duramax/Allison.
sweet baby rays covers a lot of culinary sins....

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode