Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

How deep can I ford?

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Epicenter 
#1 ·
i've got a stock SRW '19 Denali with 20" wheels and I'm watching the Houston flooding. Anyone have an idea how deep I could ford without drowning out?

#2 ·
last guy to push it in a flood hydrolocked his engine. Probably best to avoid driving at all unless necessary. Its less about how deep the water is as you drive though and more about water sloshing over your truck from other vehicles. based on the photos im seeing of Huston i would not leave my driveway.

#7 ·
Turn Around, Don't Drown

#8 ·
Personally on my 2012, I'd limit it to no more than 12" of still water, not running water. But with your 2019 Denali, I'm thinking you're good for 3, maybe 4 feet. Dive in and let us know how it goes. I want video. Oh, and your repair bill, too. Or how much it costs you to trade, whatever you decide to do.

#10 ·
I live south of Houston. Simple.. don’t do it. You never know just how deep it is or how fast it’s flowing.

With that said, if push came to shove and I had to I think about mid-wheel would be the max as slow speed. As was said, it’s the other guys “wake” that messes you up.

Even though I know my street, after Harvey, I let the Duce and a half do the work in the water. Truck never left the garage.

#12 ·
Its not so much how deep can you go and keep going as it is in 3 -6 months when you start having bearing issues like wheel bearings, carrier bearings (if you have one), and other grease dependent undercarriage items squeeking, squealing, and burning up if you don't heed their warnings. Been there, did that, on a previous 4x4 "tall Truck" I owned helping with flood recovery in the midwest. Hope I help you avoid the issues I found.

Good Luck!

-Epicenter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.