“Chuggling” Issue on 2019 L5P Duramax - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
“Chuggling” Issue on 2019 L5P Duramax

Well unfortunately I have the known “chuggling” issue on my 2019 L5P Duramax. The issue has occurred half a dozen times and the truck only has 1,800 miles on it. It always happens in 3rd or 4th gear under light acceleration. It feels like the engine loses fuel for a second causing deceleration, then gets fuel for a second and accelerates, the loses fuel again and repeats this half a dozen times before it goes back to normal slow acceleration. For all I know it could be transmission related vs motor related. No dash indicator lights come on when this occurs. Local Chevy dealer is no help. Dealer service personnel told me if no dash light indicator lights come, no code is thrown, and there is no service recall / bulletin on file (they checked and no 2019 service bulletins) ... then I should call the GM Customer Service 1-800 number and log a complaint. Did this today, they logged the complaint, gave me a case number, and told me a senior advisor would contact me in 2 to 3 business days. Should be interesting to see what they say. Will update this post after they contact me.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Tuff Country Leveling Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Wheels, Michelin Tires, Bilstein Shocks, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Cognito PISK, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:07 AM

I am having this exact same issue with my 2019 GMC Denali 2500HD. Please let me know what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks “critter218”. Saw all those views of my post and was starting to think I was the only owner with this issue on a 2019. But definitely not glad to see you are also experiencing this issue.

As an update ... received my “feel good” call back from GM customer support a little over a week ago (been working out of town so was in able to respond to this thread until now). GM Customer Support told me that they have now contacted my same local dealership’s service department manager where I had originally logged my first complaint, updated them, and the next time I am in there for service, I should follow up with them on this concern ... classic “punt the ball” routine. Before they let me go I requested that they forward my case / complaint to the GM engineering technical support team and reach back out to me with their response. Not holding my breath that they will call me back anytime soon. Truthfully, this “Chuggle” issue does not happen very often, happens only under very specific throttle position (slow acceleration) / gear selection (3rd), specific speeds (35 to 40 mph), when it happens it is manageable by letting off or increasing the throttle foot pedal, and it is not dangerous to my safety (atleast so far).

I have been paying the local Chevy dealer to install my aftermarket parts to avoid any warranty fix arguments ... and I just so happen to have been there since the last update of this thread. The previous visit service guy recognized me and told me that I was not the only one having this issue ... and they actually experienced a couple trucks being purchased back by GM concerning this same issue ... since they did not have a fix at that time. I was also told GM relayed to the service department that they forsee a fix being released yet this year (2018). So I will let you know if I hear anything further as promised by the end of the year.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Tuff Country Leveling Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Wheels, Michelin Tires, Bilstein Shocks, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Cognito PISK, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:58 PM

I now own 5 of these trucks (all 2018 l5p) and I've seen this issue with every one of them. I got a call from my dealer last week and they now have an update available that should take care of it. It has been a very annoying problem.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:45 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

sub

2012 Denali H.D… Cognito Lift, Fox shocks etc etc

05-LLY-crewcab-SB- 285-65-18's on MKW wheel's, -AFE STAGE 2-MBRP DUALS-EGR BLOCK PLATE-AUTOMETER PYRO+BOOST GAUGES- B&W turn over, Diamond + JL AUDIO, Remote starter,Turbo timer, Tranny upgrade, PRECISION T.C., Deep pan, Fumoto valve, AIRDOG 150 L.P., PPE SHIM KIT & PORTED FUEL RAIL, LBZ mouth piece, COGNITO H.D. TIE RODS & BRACES.
EFI LIVE, DSP-5...... ATP TUNING, 40 over BD Injectors 4" T.C. lift, 35" Nitto graplers, Rancho 9000's
Built motor, "Big Twin's", Dual Fuelers

04 - LB7 Reg Cab (Current race truck project) youcrazyy
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeboy46 View Post
I now own 5 of these trucks (all 2018 l5p) and I've seen this issue with every one of them. I got a call from my dealer last week and they now have an update available that should take care of it. It has been a very annoying problem.

I have had this issue since my test drive and at first attributed it to the learning nature of the transmission and TCU. Now at over 18k miles, it still occurs occasionally.

Can you please share the details of the service visit and the update your service department completed? Has it resolved your issue?

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD - Dark Slate Metallic
Full Clear Bra | Morimoto D5S HIDs | Morimoto LED Fogs | Fuel Coupler 20x9 +20 Wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grappler G2 | Billstein 5100s | Hypertech Inline Speedometer Calibrator | Snugtop Xtra Vision | Full Tint
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:17 PM

subd

2017 L5P
DDP intake
DDP intercooler pipe
Cognito UCA's
Cognito PISK
lift keys
Fox Shocks
18x9 +18 Method wheels
295/70/18 Nitto terra G2's
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks like I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to see if the update is available. Let’s hope they don’t fix one problem and start another. Always a risk with updates ...
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post
Looks like I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to see if the update is available. Let’s hope they don’t fix one problem and start another. Always a risk with updates ...

Please keep us posted. I haven't had time yet to get my truck to the dealer for the update....

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD - Dark Slate Metallic
Full Clear Bra | Morimoto D5S HIDs | Morimoto LED Fogs | Fuel Coupler 20x9 +20 Wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grappler G2 | Billstein 5100s | Hypertech Inline Speedometer Calibrator | Snugtop Xtra Vision | Full Tint
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh7917 View Post
Please keep us posted. I haven't had time yet to get my truck to the dealer for the update....
Was simply an electronic update for the EGR they installed today ... only took about 30 minutes from when I gave them the keys.

Service manager said they still do not have an update from GM regarding the transmission "chuggling / chugging" issue. - Riverton Chevrolet - Riverton, UT

He also stated they really wish GM would hurry up because their dealership probably has over a hundred upset customers waiting for this fix ... they have even experienced a few buy-backs where customers pushed the issue (not sure if they or GM did the buy-back).

Funny part is the service manager also stated the issue does not occur if you use tow / haul mode. (may not be true and just a way to console customer ... who knows)

I replied that I personally will not put my truck in tow haul mode while driving around town empty due to the abrupt upshifts and downshifts.

The sad part is the relationship damage this is doing to customers who will probably not purchase another truck from GM.

For me it is not to that point. Just personally annoyed that GM does not step up to the plate with an expedited fix ... because this not the first time for this problem if you look back a few years at TSB's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode