Oil change - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
All this info is in the owners manual.
If it's missing (or you want one for a different vehicle or year), a pdf version can be downloaded from GM's website

Driver Information Centre

The version depends on the trim level of the truck.

Information Displays
Driver Information Center

(DIC) (Base Level)
The DIC displays are shown in the center of the instrument cluster.
The displays show the status of many vehicle systems.
The trip odometer reset stem in the instrument cluster is used to access the DIC menu items.

DIC Menu Items
Turn the trip odometer reset stem to scroll through the following menu items:
. Digital Speedometer
. Trip
. Fuel Range
. Average Fuel Economy
. Tire Pressure
. Remaining Oil Life
. Transmission Fluid Temperature
. Trailer Brake
. Hourmeter
. Unit

Skipping the sections that expalin each section, and how to make changes...

Driver Information Center
(DIC) (Uplevel)
The DIC displays are shown in the center of the instrument cluster in the Info app.
See Instrument Cluster on page 5-10.

The displays show the status of many vehicle systems.
The controls for the DIC are on the right steering wheel control.
Up or down arrows : Press to move up or down in a list.
In the main view, you can press up and down to move between different info app pages

L or R arrows : Press to move between the interactive display zones in the cluster. menu or select a menu item.
Press and hold to reset values on certain screens.

On uplevel DIC, you may can go to the 'Info Page Options' to select which items will be viewable when you scroll thru the pages using the up/down arrows on the steering wheel.
It might be necessary to 'turn on' or 'enable' the hours page.
Thanks for that detail and it really was a stupid question. I will check it out and learn all sorts of new things. Now if I can only remember what I learned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:22 PM

Garage
basic division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMLLover View Post
My LML has 115,000 miles, and 3050 hours. That equals a average of 38 mph ,every hour, over the life of the truck.

38 mph x 250 hours = 9500 miles. Sounds about the right time to change it.
his truck only has 5200 miles divided by 250 hours equals only 20mph.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:29 PM

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...supplement.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Chevrolet 3500HD (L5P)
CM SK Aluminum flat bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:31 PM

215 hours on my truck
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:22 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarek View Post
215 hours on my truck

Comin' up on 7k hrs.
EmmettTheL5P likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 PM

Ultimately, the oil life monitor is a tool. Sounds like there is some variation in how this is calculating when our oil is in need of a change. I will probably stay conservative on my oil changes and in line with the monitor at least until I can pull a couple used oil samples for analysis and see how the engine is actually doing.

2018 Duramax GMC 2500 5500 miles
2006 VW Jetta TDI 265,000 miles
2000 VW New Beetle TDI Totaled by deer at 165,000 miles
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:33 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I run 9000 full syn, all the way down to 0% on the DIC ('bout 10k miles)....then when I get time, I sample for EOA and change it.

All of the analysis reports say I should be running it longer.
CntrlCalDmax likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 AM

Itís hard for me to change oil at 5k. Iím a old guy that has driven roughly 50k annually most of my life and change all my vehicles between 7500-10k using Dino or non-synthetic oil. Most every vehicle Iíve owned went 250k or more miles before I sold it and none had engines issues etc. Based on this and doing the occasional oil analysis I see no reason to piss money away on oil thatís still has life left in it. If I drove only short distances with a lot of idling etc I might do the 5k changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LMLLover likes this.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Itís hard for me to change oil at 5k. Iím a old guy that has driven roughly 50k annually most of my life and change all my vehicles between 7500-10k using Dino or non-synthetic oil. Most every vehicle Iíve owned went 250k or more miles before I sold it and none had engines issues etc. Based on this and doing the occasional oil analysis I see no reason to piss money away on oil thatís still has life left in it. If I drove only short distances with a lot of idling etc I might do the 5k changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The bottom line is use the best oil you can buy and run it until the DIC shows you need to change. I run full synthetic in my LLY and all the rest of my vehicles (5). My DIC lets me run at least 10K and I'm not worried about it at all. I went to full synthetic in 1980 just to allow me to run my trucks for a full year on an oil change. I had been in the garage about once a month changing oil and it was just a drag. I have never had a failure of any kind with full synthetic! My 2006 LLY now has 225K along with 3 trips from NM to AK pulling my 5th wheel.

Just do it and stop worrying about how long you should run it. Warranty or not, GM can't force you to change it when their DIC tells you to do so. Only an oil sample can be used to show you oil is bad and unless you are driving it like hell, full synthetic oil will always give you the best under all circumstances. A few bucks more....but many less oil changes. Just do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode