Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   2017+ L5P Performance Parts Discussion (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2017-l5p-performance-parts-discussion/)
-   -   Air Intake Looking for Advice (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2017-l5p-performance-parts-discussion/994311-air-intake-looking-advice.html)

HBtuner 04-16-2019 01:25 PM

Air Intake Looking for Advice

Trying to decide between the S&B intake or the Banks Ram-air for my 2017 Duramax midnight edition. Looking on Banks website the filter element is larger than the S&B, but the S&B box design seems like it will let in more air. I like the Banks products, but im trying to justify the price difference of $80. Anyone have experience with these two products?

LT. 04-17-2019 05:18 PM

I have experience with the S&B cold air intake. I had one installed on my last number of trucks. The latest one being a 2018 GMC Sierra 3500 single rear wheel. The product itself is well made. Box is of good construction as well as the hoses, clamps, filter, etc. The instructions are well thought out, easy to follow, and include pictures to aid in the instalation. My only complaint was the new lid. Some time ago S&B used to bolt their lids onto their boxes. This New one uses a gasket seal not too dissimilar from weather stripping. The issue is working the gasket around the clear lid and the box. It's kinda like installing a rear window on an old truck with the pinch welds. If that Makes sense.

J83 04-17-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBtuner (Post 12147681)
Trying to decide between the S&B intake or the Banks Ram-air for my 2017 Duramax midnight edition. Looking on Banks website the filter element is larger than the S&B, but the S&B box design seems like it will let in more air. I like the Banks products, but im trying to justify the price difference of $80. Anyone have experience with these two products?

I have not used an S&B product, i have owned a Banks intake. My next intake will be an S&B, take from that what you will.

CDN Curtis 04-19-2019 06:53 AM

I just installed the S&B last night. I have used S&B in previous trucks and have no complaints. Install was straight forward and everything fit perfectly, I agree with LT. The lid could be better but at the end of the day it's not terrible. I was thinking of trying the Banks but I could not justify the $200 extra bucks to get one up here (In Canada)

atrbuchholz 04-28-2019 02:37 PM

Hey everybody, do you think its worth the full replacement? Wehrli makes a 4 inch intake and resonator delete that bolts to the factory air box. Its around $180 usd, not sure how that compares to the full s&b kits.
Also what are the gains you're all receiving from this upgrade? I'm thinking about doing it to my stock '19 but not sure if its even worth it until I start deleting all the emission control components (whole other can of worms). Thanks.

LT. 05-02-2019 07:27 PM

On the subject of any gains, there is a very small mileage improvement. But, you won't be able to tell unless you are really paying attention. It is maybe 1/2 mile per gallon. With a gain this small it is difficult to tell if the gain is from the air box or just more favorable environmental conditions. I measured several tanks of fuel both before and after. About 1/2 mpg is all I mustered.

The gains would be more significant if you also had banks Derringer or another tuning device installed i believe.

TX_DMax17 05-03-2019 02:03 AM

They do let the engine breathe better so there should be a performance boost, albeit small. I just don't think you'd make up the cost in MPG increase for a while.

dilpickle13 05-10-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atrbuchholz (Post 12152375)
Hey everybody, do you think its worth the full replacement? Wehrli makes a 4 inch intake and resonator delete that bolts to the factory air box. Its around $180 usd, not sure how that compares to the full s&b kits.
Also what are the gains you're all receiving from this upgrade? I'm thinking about doing it to my stock '19 but not sure if its even worth it until I start deleting all the emission control components (whole other can of worms). Thanks.

The Wehrli intake tube is a nice looking piece but doesn't address the choke points on the stock airbox, you'll see what I'm talking about when you remove it ;)

I had a Banks intake on my LML, this truck has S&B. Any truck after this would have the S&B as well....

UTEngineer 05-11-2019 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Banks ... the CFM testing results below is how I made my decision.

dilpickle13 05-12-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTEngineer (Post 12157825)
I have the Banks ... the CFM testing results below is how I made my decision.

It doesn't surprise me to see that the Banks is able to show better flow numbers on the test bench as their opening on the fender side is noticeably larger than the actual fender opening. I always take Banks advertising with a grain of salt & look for independent results.

I know ATP Trucks (Idaho Rob) had done dyno testing with the Derringer & the S&B and they saw a 24HP gain, Banks only shows a 19HP gain over the Derringer using their intake. And the S&B is $80-100 cheaper to boot....