Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Air Intake Looking for Advice

38K views 73 replies 27 participants last post by  brandongould10 
#1 ·
Trying to decide between the S&B intake or the Banks Ram-air for my 2017 Duramax midnight edition. Looking on Banks website the filter element is larger than the S&B, but the S&B box design seems like it will let in more air. I like the Banks products, but im trying to justify the price difference of $80. Anyone have experience with these two products?

#2 ·
I have experience with the S&B cold air intake. I had one installed on my last number of trucks. The latest one being a 2018 GMC Sierra 3500 single rear wheel. The product itself is well made. Box is of good construction as well as the hoses, clamps, filter, etc. The instructions are well thought out, easy to follow, and include pictures to aid in the instalation. My only complaint was the new lid. Some time ago S&B used to bolt their lids onto their boxes. This New one uses a gasket seal not too dissimilar from weather stripping. The issue is working the gasket around the clear lid and the box. It's kinda like installing a rear window on an old truck with the pinch welds. If that Makes sense.

#4 ·
I just installed the S&B last night. I have used S&B in previous trucks and have no complaints. Install was straight forward and everything fit perfectly, I agree with LT. The lid could be better but at the end of the day it's not terrible. I was thinking of trying the Banks but I could not justify the $200 extra bucks to get one up here (In Canada)

#5 ·
Hey everybody, do you think its worth the full replacement? Wehrli makes a 4 inch intake and resonator delete that bolts to the factory air box. Its around $180 usd, not sure how that compares to the full s&b kits.
Also what are the gains you're all receiving from this upgrade? I'm thinking about doing it to my stock '19 but not sure if its even worth it until I start deleting all the emission control components (whole other can of worms). Thanks.

#6 ·
On the subject of any gains, there is a very small mileage improvement. But, you won't be able to tell unless you are really paying attention. It is maybe 1/2 mile per gallon. With a gain this small it is difficult to tell if the gain is from the air box or just more favorable environmental conditions. I measured several tanks of fuel both before and after. About 1/2 mpg is all I mustered.

The gains would be more significant if you also had banks Derringer or another tuning device installed i believe.

#9 ·
I have the Banks ... the CFM testing results below is how I made my decision.

Attachments

Reactions: Black HD
#10 ·
It doesn't surprise me to see that the Banks is able to show better flow numbers on the test bench as their opening on the fender side is noticeably larger than the actual fender opening. I always take Banks advertising with a grain of salt & look for independent results.

I know ATP Trucks (Idaho Rob) had done dyno testing with the Derringer & the S&B and they saw a 24HP gain, Banks only shows a 19HP gain over the Derringer using their intake. And the S&B is $80-100 cheaper to boot....

#12 ·
I like the iBanks and will probably get a derringer (preferably from a local retailer), but I don't think I'll give them any more money beyond that. After seeing how their exhausts turn out and having to deal with their crap customer service when my gauge shipped without the OBDII cable, I barely trust them. They definitely lack follow-thru. I'll be picking up an S&B once I'm in TX.

#13 · (Edited)
I also had to call Banks a week later to find out why my cold-air intake had not arrived. Ordered it with my DPF-back exhaust, which arrived in only a few days. Called Banks and got the village idiot on the phone after being transferred several times ... his unprofessional response was “you will probably see the intake in a couple weeks”. I agree ... poor customer service experience after the purchase.

#14 ·
One other thing I did want to mention ... the Banks intake does have a trick design feature where the filter itself moves independent of the air box housing connection ... instead of using those accordion-style rubber boots. Not relaying this justifies any price difference ... just glad to see them thinking outside the historical designs.

#18 ·
I'm sure close to an aftermarket box in performance.
The opening to the fender is very small on stock box, the opening to the hood is fine.
I opened the fender hole as much as possible.

#19 ·
Performance increase may also depend on filter size and type. The banks filter is huge, much more surface area than stock. So if the truck is air restricted due to the stock size or type of the filter, then just opening up the stock air box on the bottom may not make any difference. It may require a different type of filter.
Notice, I said "may" throughout. Unless a modified stock airbox alone is tested in the same manner as Banks or S&B, no one really knows. But I wouldn't hesitate to open up the side or bottom of the stock box either way.

#21 ·
I have the Banks and love it, the reason they are on back order is because they can't keep them in stock and their performance number combined with the derringer speak for themselves on the L5P's.

Banks customer service is also great, if you use the guys on the facebook derringer group page.

My collar that connects the CAI to the turbo horn kept popping off, I posted on the facebook group and they contacted me within half an hour and had a new one out to me same day no charge.

I received it today, when I went to install it I noticed my CAI was warping from me trying to keep tightening down the CAI so it wouldn't pop off.

I sent them pics today on facebook messenger and they have a new one shipped today free of charge.

I have one of the pre-order first run units that had issues with the connector boot, they admitted there was an issue and said if anyone had problems it would get fixed.

Great customer service!

Attachments

#25 ·
man, you must be the proverbial unicorn because i dont know anyone else who has such nice things to say about there customer service. ive personally been told off more than once by them for asking for help in diagnosing issues caused by there hardware. i would rather call the IRS while getting a root canal than banks customer service.

#22 ·
The same thing happened to mine. I was driving and my truck started to have a horrible turbo lag, then all of a sudden it would catch up and take off. I pulled over and saw that the entire CIA had separated from the collar/sleeve which was still attached to the horn. I was lucky that the clamp stayed on the collar. The whole CIA and air filter had slid down the air box about 2" to the point where the filter was resting on the bottom of the box.

I really tightened it up now, so I will check to see if I've warped the CIA, then call Banks and have them send me the new version of the collar. That silicone coating on the collar is quite slick feeling, so I can see how it can slide off easier than the OEM under the weight of the free float air filter. I almost put the OEM collar back on.

#27 ·
This how fast they are to deal with on facebook.

Sun afternoon I posted I was having issues with the collar, 10 minutes later the rep was getting my info.

Mon by noon they replied back that it was being handled, before 5PM I had a shipping number and t arrived here in NC Wed.

When I noticed the tube was warped I sent another message and within 5 minutes He said he will send a new tube and new clamps.

This was all this week, I see them taking care of owners like this all the time on the group.

Attachments

#28 ·
well its good to know they are actually doing something about there horrible service these days, ive really been eyeing a set of there new gauges so its reassuring that maybe they wont be unsupported garbage.

#34 ·
the glass half full part of me would say that it is to artificially increase demand, but its also possible the filter or something is the limiting factor and not the plastic parts. Im glad to see you can change the colors on the gauges though, the blue LED's just kill my eyes at night. Ive had so many bad experiences with Banks that im really hesitant to pull the trigger on those gauges.... but they are such a nifty idea it might just be worth it.

#36 ·
^^ I really hate to say it but that is quite a good design they have there. I hope that its a turning point for them. I think im going to give it a shot though and see how it works out. my old six gun was junk and between that, the "tuner" and there filter falling off the intake every 500 miles it really left a pretty negative opinion of them in my mind. To this day i have no idea how many hundreds if not thousands of miles i drove with that banks filter just sitting in the bottom of the air box doing nothing..... its frustrating....

#41 ·
I've had zero issues thus far with my S&B CAI. I had originally ordered the Banks, only to find out two weeks later after calling them that it was backordered. I cancelled, and went with the S&B and had it within 3 days. The warping of the tube etc issues is just one of several why I will never buy a Banks product.

#45 ·
I have the Banks CAI, Derringer, iDash, Pedal Monster, and DPF-back exhaust. Truck pulls my heavy trailers really hard thanks to the Banks equipment. Also, I have not had any problems with my Banks equipment that is 2 years old this fall. However, I will admit the surface rust on the exhaust piping is silly because they chose 409 stainless instead of aluminized steel. But honestly, my truck ain’t no garage queen, the exhaust blends in with the other rust spots underneath.;)

Reactions: frosty_Durnali
#47 ·
Since we have already revived an old thread....

General census, most people have come to hate Banks for whatever reason, however agree the S&B intake is comparable to butt dyno, with the exception of price and size of the actual filter element.

What about these vs the Wcfab or HSP? They appear to have a similar design with the piping, however the box does not appear as efficient? I understand both companies are going for aesthetics here as well as performance but you see only a few dollar difference in price vs the Banks.

#48 ·
I'm happy with the Banks intake. And I agree the Wcfab intake does not look very efficient. I have their intake horn and trans cooler thermostat bypass plug installed though.

Reactions: frosty_Durnali
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.