Installing Tow Mirrors - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Installing Tow Mirrors

All,

I didnt have any luck searching this out, so if there are threads on it, please point me in the right direction.

Im looking to replace the small stock mirrors with the OEM optional tow mirror on my 19'. I originally wanted to have the dealer do this for me when i bought the truck, however, they said the OEM mirros are over $1,000 to buy, and another $1200 to install - this seems incredibly high to me.

So, id like to see if any of you have done this, and how much of a PIA this is, also if anyone has a good connection to buy the OEM mirrors from that would be appreciated as well, i dont want aftermarket in this case. I was a race mechanic back in the day, so im not afraid to do this myself its just the dealer making this sound like its some huge project - how bad can it be, its only mirrors?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

not exactly what youre asking...but i just put new style mirrors on a friends 05 duramax...they are all the same. remove the door panel and theres 3 nuts you have to remove off the studs coming through the door. once you remove them the mirror will come out. wiring and connectors should will all the same if you currently have signal mirrors.

2006 duramax- stock
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:27 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

dont know how to edit or delete my post. just noticed you have a '19 probably different... ignore me! haha

2006 duramax- stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:24 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty5P View Post
All,

I didnt have any luck searching this out, so if there are threads on it, please point me in the right direction.

Im looking to replace the small stock mirrors with the OEM optional tow mirror on my 19'. I originally wanted to have the dealer do this for me when i bought the truck, however, they said the OEM mirros are over $1,000 to buy, and another $1200 to install - this seems incredibly high to me.

So, id like to see if any of you have done this, and how much of a PIA this is, also if anyone has a good connection to buy the OEM mirrors from that would be appreciated as well, i dont want aftermarket in this case. I was a race mechanic back in the day, so im not afraid to do this myself its just the dealer making this sound like its some huge project - how bad can it be, its only mirrors?

Thanks for the help!
Just gotta tell them your going somewhere else than and they will bend over for you.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:01 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Try the 'non-powertrain' section, instead of 'performance parts discussion',

Lots of mirror threads in both L5P and LML non-powertrain sections. Topic became extra popular when the new style mirrors were released.

Be sure to get mirrors with temp sensor in the passenger mirror -- it's the one used for ecm.

Dmax also has the one in the grill, like the gasser, but it's for temp display and HVAC

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
Try the 'non-powertrain' section, instead of 'performance parts discussion',

Lots of mirror threads in both L5P and LML non-powertrain sections. Topic became extra popular when the new style mirrors were released.

Be sure to get mirrors with temp sensor in the passenger mirror -- it's the one used for ecm.

Dmax also has the one in the grill, like the gasser, but it's for temp display and HVAC

Will do! Thanks redwngr!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:00 AM

This topic over at gm-trucks will provide lots of info.

Phil Gamboa is the mirror expert over there.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...omment-2254710

2016 GMC 2500HD SLT All Terrain CC SB 4x4 D/A 26K
1995 GMC 2500 EC 4x4 6.5TD,223K,Amsoil bypass filter,Max-E-Tork chip,HX40W-II Turbo,KD Exhaust,FSD Cooler,KD Headlight Booster,Hi-Cap Cooling
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:14 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I installed OEM tow mirrors on my '17 LT myself after buying my truck without them. Why do they even sell HD trucks without them?!

Anyway, I bought them off ebay for $568. Then you have to buy door wiring harnesses. I think i found both sides from an online store for around 150 total. Mirrors are easy to replace. Wiring harnesses aren't terrible, but it was more than i expected. You have to pull the door panel off and get inside the door to switch those out. With a youtube video to help i was able to not break anything.

What trim level do you have and what type of mirror do you plan to use? I have the LT and went with the LT style mirror. The LT tow mirrors have power adjust and defrost, but the higher trim mirrors also have power fold and maybe extension, i don't know off-hand.

If you have an LT and want full power mirrors you would need to change the switches out in the door panel to add the switches you need, in addition to the wiring harnesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode