My Son, and The Banks Derringer - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Talking My Son, and The Banks Derringer

So, I have been looking at the Banks stuff and dreaming about getting the whole setup for my truck. At this point, I was just dreaming and talking to him about it while we were working in the garage cleaning up after working on his K10 and the HEEP. So we took some parts back to the parts store and grabbed a sandwich. When we returned back to the house, he grabbed his computer and brought it over to show me an email he received basically with the confirmation number of the Derringer that he ordered me.

Keep in mind that this young man is 16 years old and only works part time on a farm. Yes, he makes good money for the age and job, but he doesn't have to spend it on my truck he still has stuff to do on his. so basically, I am just floored. What a great present and surprise for an early fathers day. He will be on a youth mission trip so he decided to go ahead and tell me about it. I Love this kid. even if he didn't do this, he is a great young man.

So I guess this is my Banks Thread. I have read so many on here and really look forward to getting it installed. I guess I'll be orderig the exhaust and intake this week to finish off the whole package. Stay tuned, I am sure I will have so many questions. I do know that I will be ordering the dash mount from the guy on facebook though.

Thanks for all that ordered early and have so much information. I am still reading, but looking forward to getting this thing installed. Will make a great Father / Son project.

Bill

Edit 4/4/14
2017 CC SRW Midnight Edition - Love the new truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:59 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Location: Southern Peoples Republic of California (Former American State)
Garage
Always love those moments, you wish some of the credit were yours, but really you are just happy that they are the way they are. Best Father's day gift of all is seeing your son be a man.

God, Country, Liberty, Justice.

2010 G4500 Chev Van/Truck
2006 K2500HD Chev Truck
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

I couldn't decide to be upset he spent all his money or happy that he thought enough of me to spend all his money... I think he is as excited about it as I am. Although, now I have to spend more money for the intake and exhaust. HAHA

Edit 4/4/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM

That speaks to your character! You’ve raised a great young man and only a great parent can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lunger View Post
That speaks to your character! You’ve raised a great young man and only a great parent can do that.

Thanks for the kind words. He is growing into a great young man. It takes a village, and there are great men that have come along beside him and myself to walk that road to help him grow.

Now, before I get too carried away with just him, there are questions that I have been thinking about for the Banks install. First, where to mount the iDash? I am going to purchase the dash cup that has been shown on here from the guy on facebook. Then there is the issue with our local emission testing that is required for tags. Of course, they plug into the OBDII port to verify. I discussed with Banks, and they said to just unplug, and re-install when finished. Is there anyone that has this issue? How did it work out? My fear is that removing and re-installing might cause the computer to have problems. Is there a piggyback plug that can be installed that will leave a OBDII port open but also have the Banks plugged in?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bill

Edit 4/4/14
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:18 AM

I believe but don’t quote me on this. When the derringer loses power it defaults back to stock and everything runs as normal. Seems there is a video on banks website about this when comparing other inline tuning options. All other inline options the vehicle is disabled except for the banks derringer. I love mine by the way.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbill View Post
I believe but don’t quote me on this. When the derringer loses power it defaults back to stock and everything runs as normal. Seems there is a video on banks website about this when comparing other inline tuning options. All other inline options the vehicle is disabled except for the banks derringer. I love mine by the way.

Correct

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the exhaust and intake. Looking at the 5" and the possibly the dry filter. Is that the best setup for our trucks? What are you guys running?

Thanks,
Bill

Edit 4/4/14
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEEP View Post
Ok, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the exhaust and intake. Looking at the 5" and the possibly the dry filter. Is that the best setup for our trucks? What are you guys running?

Thanks,
Bill
Are you just ordering DPF back exhaust? You can't delete with the derringer.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 AM

I’d buy anything Banks, EXCEPT for their exhaust systems. I installed a full stainless PowerPack system on a ‘97 F350, and it looked like crap from front to back within a year. Fit like a glove; looked like crap. Carbon steel clamps; not even the hood band style. I still have rust spots in my driveway from that truck. I attempted to engage Banks twice via email, with very little response and no resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode