Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2020HD Specs

11K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  redwngr 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Thanks. There may be new truck in my future.>:)

#7 ·
wow, looks like they listened to a lot of suggestions. Maybe 2021/22 I may be upgrading!

#8 ·
Another feature that I ran across last night with the 2020 HDs is that the trucks have a built in cool down feature.

Once you pull off the highway and if the engine/turbo is beyond a certain temp, you simply turn off the ignition switch, get out the truck the engine will continue to run as you lock the truck and walk away. The engine will continue to idle and cool down. Once the temps are in the proper range, the engine shuts off automatically with no input from the driver.

I certainly hope that GM got this right as I can see where the electronics associated with the cool down could potentially make this feature a PIA. But if it works properly a great feature IMHO.

Reactions: KazMan
#9 ·
From link above:

"A diesel after-run feature specifically for use following a demanding towing situation is an additional new technology for the Duramax engine. The after-run allows the engine to keep running for up to 15 minutes to allow it to cool down using the fan and circulating coolant. If the driver puts the truck in park when an after-run situation is needed, an alert will appear on the driver information cluster directing them to keep the engine running for cool down. Should the customer ignore the message and exit the vehicle, the truck will restart on its own via remote start mode for cool-down. At that point the customer can walk away and the truck will turn itself off when the engine reaches an acceptable temperature."

Seems odd that it needs to 'restart'.

#10 ·
I could see where it could be necessary to start an actual timer in that cool down mode independent of driver.

#12 ·
Sure, but why not just have the computer prevent the shutdown?

Sounds like it will only 'after-run' if it thinks it needs more cool down, and even then only run as long as it thinks is necessary.

#15 ·
Chev website says:

A diesel after-run feature specifically for use following a demanding towing situation is an additional new technology for the Duramax engine. The after-run allows the engine to keep running for up to 15 minutes to allow it to cool down using the fan and circulating coolant. If the driver puts the truck in park when an after-run situation is needed, an alert will appear on the driver information cluster directing them to keep the engine running for cool down. Should the customer ignore the message and exit the vehicle, the truck will restart on its own via remote start mode for cool-down. At that point the customer can walk away and the truck will turn itself off when the engine reaches an acceptable temperature.

#14 ·
not sure I want my truck starting and stopping on it's own.

I said this in another thread too...I'm not pleased with the height increase. I'm a 1/2" away from not getting into a parking garage that I have to get into. This new truck is 1.6" higher. Not good for me. There are so many other features that definitely are tempting.

#17 ·
I doubt that. Price an LB7. Not everyone can or wants to afford a brand new one. I've waited for the new ones more due to extra back seat room but I'm starting to wonder how much that's gonna cost...

Reactions: redwngr
#18 ·
If the MSRP jumps up on these new trucks it will only help hold the value of the older ones. These new ones are huge. Longer and taller. I'm sure it will be an issue for some. I haven't read anything about the brakes being upgraded. The 11+ have very good brakes. Maybe good enough not to change?

#19 ·
Id' agree that the 2011+ HD chassis has brakes significantly better than 2010 and earlier.

Don't know how size and thickness compares, but for 2020:

Brake Type:

Hydraulic power-assisted Hydroboost brake booster, four wheel disc brakes with ABS and Stabilitrak electronic stability assist

Brake Rotor Size (in / mm):

Front: 14 x 1.6 / 355 x 40 (2500/3500)
Rear: 14.1 x 1.3 / 360 x 34 (2500/3500 SRW)
Rear: 14 x 1.6 / 355 x 40 (3500 DRW)

Haven't seen any info on calipers/pistons/pad sizes.

#23 ·
I’m actually happy it will be larger. Most of the parking garages around here suck unless you’re driving a compact car anyway. I’d rather have the extra room for the kids and all the extra stuff that goes along kids and dogs.

#25 ·
I do like the 3" of more legroom in the back. If the overall height increase is due to taller stock tires then I'm fine with that too since the new "stock" tire size is what I'm currently using anyway on my 2017. Just please don't go any taller...

#28 ·
Dang it ... had to buy my truck last fall for work ... I have always wanted an HD with Autotrac.

I live where icy roads are a regular part of life for 4 to 6 months every year.

Always liked my half-ton Chevy’s that I could leave in auto-4wd and cruise along at highway speed with no worries about ice patches or burning up a transfer case.

Our family could also use the extra leg room in the rear row seating of the crew cab ... this is way overdue ... competition has had more legroom for several years.

Personally I do not need the extra 3 inches on the standard box ... in fact ... I wish they offered the 5’8” box which is offered on the half ton ... but I do understand they probably do not offer this shorter bed option because most owners want longer boxes ... especially those with 5th wheels for cornering.

Oh well ... company I work for requires I purchase a new truck every 4 years ... so my next Duramax purchase will be a 2023 model ... and who knows what will be offered at that time.

#29 · (Edited)
Another thought arises if you are above 26,000gcwr don't you need a cdl license? That would leave only the 2500 with a diesel if you want double cab, or single.... crew cab would be over spec with a diesel....not sure how the cdl works....please chime in if you can shed light on the cdl issue.

#30 ·
My biggest question is what the payload numbers will be, the spec sheets show 18,500lbs towable via fifth wheel gooseneck but at what payload/GVWR on the truck. Im assuming they are going back with 10,000lbs GVWR on 3/4 and 11,500lbs on the 1 ton SRW. As far as getting bigger and taller, I welcome it but again at what cost of fuel mileage?

#34 ·
I think it is a little early yet. I believe production started last Monday the 10th from what I've gathered. I might be off a week there. My local dealer is supposed to have one of the first Denali's in Carbon Black but they don't have an estimated delivery date yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.