Inner Tie Rods Failing at 10,000 Miles - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017 and up (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2017+ topics not related to powertrain

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Inner Tie Rods Failing at 10,000 Miles

Noticed a slight rattle in my steering wheel last week.

Confirmed the inner tie rods are failing with only 10,000 miles on my 2019 Chevy Duramax.

Had the mechanic at the local Les Schwab Tire Center confirm my finding ... which he did.

The Les Schwab mechanic then advised me to take it to the local Chevy dealership and have the inner tie rods replaced under warranty ... which I was already planning on doing.

Proceeded to the local Chevy dealer who after inspection determined the inner tie rod problem does not exist ... and then also told me the inner tie rods are within factory design performance specifications.

After arguing with the dealership mechanic and the service manager whether the inner tie rod failure issue actually exists ... I gave up and ordered a superior set of aftermarket tie rods today.

Before leaving I did however point out the cheap factory ball-and-socket inner tie rod design with no grease fitting.

Last edited by UTEngineer; 06-11-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 AM
ADE

.... Which brand did you decide to use and your thoughts on the replacement....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 AM

You're leveled, right?

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am leveled. Raised the front 2.75 inches ... which still leaves a 1/2 inch rake on the truck. Leveling kit included spacers to drop the front differential, which were installed as well. Looking back I should have installed the 2 inch shackle lowering kit in the rear and left the front end alone. Hind site is always 20/20.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Tuff Country Leveling Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Wheels, Michelin Tires, Bilstein Shocks, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Cognito PISK, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADE View Post
.... Which brand did you decide to use and your thoughts on the replacement....
Went with the Fabtech tie rods. They are massive and heavy. Makes the stock tie rods look like they came off a Chevy Colorado. Installing today and will let you know my thoughts after installation.
Noble_dmax likes this.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Tuff Country Leveling Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Wheels, Michelin Tires, Bilstein Shocks, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Cognito PISK, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Probably better off upgrading anyway, or you may be replacing them again in 10,000 miles. Keep em greased every oil change. I know some people want to avoid rake like a plague or something, but may be worth considering de cranking a bit if it continues to be an issue. Pay to play kind of deal I suppose.
diesel_tech_02 likes this.

Just Living the Dream
LBZ CCLB 4x4 189k mi
285 Cooper ST Maxx on H2s
Efilive By ATP/Idaho Rob, Diamond Eye 4"[/FONT]
[/CENTER]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 AM

what kind of driving do you do to have worn tierod ends? I have a 2019 3500HD 4X4 CC WT with DRW and a big flatbed. I have 14K on it with zero problems. I haul horses, cattle and hay 95% of the time with it over all kinds of terrain and don't have any problems at all with anything on the truck. It is all stock though and I see by your signature info yours has quite a bit of modifications to the suspension/control systems. Maybe that has something to do with it?
I have heard complaints that GM put weak tierods on the trucks, but after all of my trucks never having any problems, I find that hard to believe. Maybe its from bigass fat tires on wide wheels without any thought to correcting the backspacing that does it?? I know that eats the crap out of wheel bearings and A-frame bushings.

2019 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed
2011 Peterbilt 337 hauler with 360HP 8.3 Cummins
1957 GMC 1 ton flatbed with 22K original miles.
3 different Kubotas
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD CC, 2011 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 and 2013 3500HD ex. cab 4X4-- all sold.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambor View Post
what kind of driving do you do to have worn tierod ends? I have a 2019 3500HD 4X4 CC WT with DRW and a big flatbed. I have 14K on it with zero problems. I haul horses, cattle and hay 95% of the time with it over all kinds of terrain and don't have any problems at all with anything on the truck. It is all stock though and I see by your signature info yours has quite a bit of modifications to the suspension/control systems. Maybe that has something to do with it?
I have heard complaints that GM put weak tierods on the trucks, but after all of my trucks never having any problems, I find that hard to believe. Maybe its from bigass fat tires on wide wheels without any thought to correcting the backspacing that does it?? I know that eats the crap out of wheel bearings and A-frame bushings.
I am still running the stock tire size 265/70/18 (no "big-ass fat tires" you alluded to), aftermarket rims are 18 x 8.5 with a +18 mm offset vs the stock at 18 x 8 with a +44 mm offset ... difference of 1 inch in offset ... which is minimal ... wanted to keep my tires within wheel wells. My truck does however see hard rock mining roads for work on a weekly basis with extremely rough terrain. From the high desert mining roads of northern Nevada to the rocky mountain mining roads of Montana ... and everything in between. Plus I drive my truck harder than most ... or at least that is what I have been told by others. Maybe my truck was built on a Friday ... by disgruntled factory workers ... or I am just unlucky ... who knows. Fact is GM late model trucks have been known for tie rod failures and idler / pitman arm issues ... ask any light duty truck mechanic ... they will confirm. Never had any wheel bearing failures ... knock on wood.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Probably better off upgrading anyway, or you may be replacing them again in 10,000 miles. Keep em greased every oil change. I know some people want to avoid rake like a plague or something, but may be worth considering de cranking a bit if it continues to be an issue. Pay to play kind of deal I suppose.
Agreed ... I definitely grease all my fittings every 5,000 miles when I perform my own maintenance ... with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. One of the things that did not help was the Tuff Country upper control arm ball joints that failed prematurely (another past issue Tuff Country told everyone they had solved). With the increased upper ball joint movement ... part of that force may have been redistributed to the factory tie rods. So who knows how this may have contributed to the premature failure. Like you said ... pay to play. Still ... the truck rides much better leveled than it did stock ... it now has sufficient room for suspension travel before hitting the bump stops.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:32 PM

2.75" is a lot for a leveling kit..I thought 2.5" was the maximum "safe" level and even that was pushing it

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode