To dually or not to dually? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017 and up (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2017+ topics not related to powertrain

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

To dually or not to dually?

So I'm going to be ordering a 20 soon and I'm trying to decide if I should get a DRW.

Up to this point I've only ever had SRW trucks, but also never owned a 5th wheel. Once I get the truck then the 5th wheel will come.

Not sure what model yet, but no matter what I'm getting a 1 ton. Very unlikely that even fully loaded I'd have something that's more than 20k lbs.

Now I've always heard/read/been told a dually is more stable with a 5th wheel than a SRW which only makes sense with the back end being wider. Plus typically a DRW is only marginally more than a SRW.

Question is will it be worth it for the few times the DRW is an advantage over the SRW? Truthfully any long trips would only occur 2 or 3 times a year. Local camping much more.

2 extra tires to deal with, larger footprint, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:58 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

keep in mind you'll also get hosed on resale value on a drw.

For what you're doing personally I'd do a CC/LB SRW and do some airbags.

-Lee-
LBZ Crew
Raptor lined rockers and flares by me
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick112288 View Post
So I'm going to be ordering a 20 soon and I'm trying to decide if I should get a DRW.

Up to this point I've only ever had SRW trucks, but also never owned a 5th wheel. Once I get the truck then the 5th wheel will come.

Not sure what model yet, but no matter what I'm getting a 1 ton. Very unlikely that even fully loaded I'd have something that's more than 20k lbs.

Now I've always heard/read/been told a dually is more stable with a 5th wheel than a SRW which only makes sense with the back end being wider. Plus typically a DRW is only marginally more than a SRW.

Question is will it be worth it for the few times the DRW is an advantage over the SRW? Truthfully any long trips would only occur 2 or 3 times a year. Local camping much more.

It comes down to a matter of preference and how much pin weight you future 5vr will have. With today's 5vrs, it is not hard to get your pin weight well beyond 3k once the camper is configured and loaded for camping. You should also pay particular attention to payload of the 2500 v 3500. Once the camper is hooked up, fuel tank is full, firewood and all of the other stuff that we carry for camping (including wife and kids and all of the other stuff that ends up in the truck) you will most likely be beyond the payload limits of a 2500.

Additionally, in the event that you have a rear tire blow while towing, you should still have one tire remaining on that side to aid is safely slowing and stopping the rig. When I see 2500 trucks pulling large 5vrs, I try to get as far from them as possible because in all likelihood they are overloaded beyond being safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddrew View Post
keep in mind you'll also get hosed on resale value on a drw.........
Would really like to know what this is based on. Maybe specific to certain locations but I have not seen the "hosing" on resale that you speak of regarding duallies.
CntrlCalDmax and sambor like this.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:38 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Meh, I haven't noticed a value issue, the Dmax platform is the resale.

Not really fond of the long mile marathon trip with the 5er. It tows nice, uneventful...but I don't really ever have a chunk of free time from work and chores.

There's the occasional 4hr one way to an event, but for camping and getting away for a weekend, anything more than an hour or so away kind of takes the fun out it.

It's at the end of the week and you're just beat when you arrive late, spend the next day wore out like jet lag, only to wake up Sunday morn to pack up and head back.

It greatly diminishes the enjoyment factor if you add hours of travel to the mix.

Anyway, the point being, even on the short trips pulling East/West, I wouldn't have wanted to handle that 40+mph South crosswinds in a SRW with a 13' tall sail catching wind.

Even in the wide hip girl, it was eery for 25 minutes, until we turned into the wind. So, the benefits aren't just for the occasional 2-3 times a year distant destination.

But do you 'need' one? That depends on what you end of buying in a 5er and how much pin weight it has.
With a DRW, you're covered.

Note also;
the more you drive a big hip CC long base girl, the smaller she gets.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 07-07-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
keep in mind you'll also get hosed on resale value on a drw.

For what you're doing personally I'd do a CC/LB SRW and do some airbags.
Resale is not something I care about. I buy a vehicle and use it until it is no longer useable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick112288 View Post

It comes down to a matter of preference and how much pin weight you future 5vr will have. With today's 5vrs, it is not hard to get your pin weight well beyond 3k once the camper is configured and loaded for camping. You should also pay particular attention to payload of the 2500 v 3500. Once the camper is hooked up, fuel tank is full, firewood and all of the other stuff that we carry for camping (including wife and kids and all of the other stuff that ends up in the truck) you will most likely be beyond the payload limits of a 2500.

Additionally, in the event that you have a rear tire blow while towing, you should still have one tire remaining on that side to aid is safely slowing and stopping the rig. When I see 2500 trucks pulling large 5vrs, I try to get as far from them as possible because in all likelihood they are overloaded beyond being safe.

Quote:
keep in mind you'll also get hosed on resale value on a drw.........
Would really like to know what this is based on. Maybe specific to certain locations but I have not seen the "hosing" on resale that you speak of regarding duallies.
Yeah as I said I'm not even considering a 2500, just a 3500.

On a different note how well do the High Country painted bumpers hold up? I want the features of the LTZ but honestly hate chrome.

Also what's the difference between the LED and high intensity LED?
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:45 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Tow ratings are significantly higher on the DRW trucks.

2020 example: 5th wheel, 4wd, crew cab, long box. dmax

TK30943 w/SRW 3.42 21000 (9526) lb (kg)

TK30943 w/DRW 3.42 31100 (14107) lb (kg)

Payload difference isn't as big.
Crew, longbox, 4wd :
Payload (with Single Rear Wheels), L5P, lbs. (kg) 4078 (1850)
Payload (with Dual Rear Wheels), L5P, lbs. (kg) 5607 (2543)

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Garage
Our fifth wheel is 16400# traveling weight, 2900 pin.

Have been been running northern NY to Fla and back few times a year with an '18 2500 with bags, It has been great, but i did just order a 2020 3500 SRW have no interest in the additional body width.

Only thing i was not happy about is Mineral Metallic is no longer available

2020 Sierra AT4 3500 Duramax (on order)
2018 Denali 2500HD L5P Derringer equipped
2018 Montana 3811MS Legacy 16400#2900pin

Last edited by powerhaulic; 07-07-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:25 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic View Post
....have no interest in the additional body width.
What's the widest point of a DRW?
dlsolo and sambor like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:26 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

The mirrors.

Same mirrors used on a SRW.
dlsolo and sambor like this.

post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
The mirrors.

Same mirrors used on a SRW.
LMAO...That is what I tell my wife when she asks if we can fit the fenders in there.

Clifford is a 2005 GMC Loaded SLT 2wd with; true cold air intake mods, ported LBZ turbo inlet mouthpiece, AFE Inter cooler pipe, Diamond Eye down pipe, BD drivers side manifold, V2 radiator, thermostst controlled oil cooler, Edge CTS2, 19.5" aluminum wheels with factory lug covers, Goodyear G647RSS 225/70/19.5, BF Xenon 6000k Headlights Low & Hi, Air lift Remote control 5000# air bag system, Tork Lift Stable Loads, EZ down Tailgate assist, Put co S/S mud flaps, compete interior wood dash kit, Dual Liner 3 piece bed liner with rubber floor mat, Roll-N-Lock tonne cover with tail gate lock, and AVS in channel vent visors.

GM DRW club member #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode