Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

10 speed. Your opinion?

47K views 93 replies 40 participants last post by  Gasmanxj 
#1 ·
If you have a 2020 with the 10 speed. What is your opinion? I'm on the fence on purchasing the new 2020. The old school has always been don't buy the first year of production.

#2 ·
10spd operates seamlessly, rpm drop between gears is very small.
Couldn't be happier with its operation.
Hooked up to the race trailer this weekend, 28' trailer, Dirt Sportsman car, tires, tools, jacks, spare parts. No weight bars felt like a feather back there, cameras turn on with signals in center stack, very nice to tow with.
Can't wait to hook the 5th wheel, ISR adapter for the hitch being shipped on the 15th.

Reactions: 626031
#4 ·
That was most likely the xmsn "learning" how you drive. As for me, Id LOVE to have the 10 speed, MUCH easier to stay in the desired RPM range.

#8 ·
I was sent thru e-mail a survey in regards to my 2020 GMC 3500. One of the questions was "What do you like most about your 2020 GMC 3500?" I responded, "The transmission" This is hands down the best transmission I have ever had in a HD truck. I just came from an Aisin trans in a Ram 3500 and this 10 speed is so much better in every way. A pleasure to drive.

#9 ·
I echo these statements.... I was skeptical, but so far the trans is seem less. Always seems to be in the right gear and have all the power available. Haven't pulled our toy hauler yet... gonna try that this weekend. 18k lbs loaded should give it a good test.

Reactions: 626031
#61 ·
Curious to hear your opinions after your some hauling. Getting ready to take a cross country trip with a 17k lb 5th wheel. Wondering what to expect.

#16 · (Edited)
There's a video where the engineer who was in charge of developing the new Allison CLEARLY states this. I'll see if I can find it again.
1/2-ton 10spd is different from the HD 10-spd.....which was also a collaborative effort with Fjord, sharing the cost of development....with some input from Allison.

IIRC, It (10L-1000) is built in the GM plant in Flint though.

Edit....for some tasty input. :laugh:

GM couldn't make up their mind if they were going to use the 9 speed Alli or something else. The 9 speed is shelved over at Allison and don't know what they are going to use it for. I think GM and Ford decided on the 10 speed that they built together and just made it twice as big. Ford took the lead on this development and my buddy at Allison changed the valve body to his specs.
So far it looks like TCM tuning is going to play a big part for this trans. A new pump and valvebody might be a big part of every build. Too soon to tell. I just ordered a stand for mounting this monster.

#22 ·
Go to the 2:20 mark and listen to what the Assistant Chief Engineer for the "Allison" 10 speed says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBocpjvch8M
I can see what you are saying, but when it comes down to it I am going to listen to what the design and components of the trans have to say rather than what comes out of the Chief Engineer's mouth. With that being said, I have no experience or seen the internals of these new trans I am just basing this off highly qualified people that are not biased in anyway and are providing us with information on these new trans as they see fit. At the end of the day I could care less which trans is in the truck if it holds some serious power.

#21 · (Edited)
Ford designed....some differences between the two, supposedly built in Flint for the HD?
Assistant Chief Engineer for GM
Not Allison.
David Ames said:
So there was a small version of this that was co-developed with Ford, this one is done completely separate from it, and then with Allison. So this one was not in joint with Ford

I think perhaps Mike L has had more of hand in the 10L1000 than the Assistant Chief? marx

Oh, the Drama. :teehee

Reactions: Busa Dave
#24 ·
My God What some people will say and do for attention. Coming from a larger and much more sophisticated manufacturing company than GM I can tell you that if the Asst Chief Engineer goes publicly on record with something like he is doing in the above that was cleared through GM's Legal you would have to be an complete idiot to believe otherwise!

The Financial Liability would be Prohibitive! Now you Rocket Scientists go think on that one for awhile..>:)

#26 ·
Consider another angle, where we're all (including Dave cae) correct.

The design is ford origin (which GM collaborated), with a few differences (It's been stated that internals are similar, but not necessarily compatible with the other).
Built in Flint-with Allison input, as far as Dave knows, it's another in-house GM/Allison build.

#30 ·
Why do ya'll care who made/designed the dumb thing? This is ridiculous.

If it operates excellent and holds lots of extra power I'll be happy, even if Ford dodge Cummins powerstroke ALL made it. SMH

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

#32 ·
:popcorn

Reactions: Busa Dave
#33 ·
Who here believes that the difference between a transmission designed and built to tow 13,400 lbs and one that was designed and built to tow 35,000 lbs is the valve body?

Who here believes that any truck manufacturer would spend the money to produce a 900+ lbs*ft, 35,000 lb capable transmission and put it in a truck with a max 460 lbs*ft and 13,400 lbs towing?

Who here believes if they were going to use the same transmission in the 1/2 ton and the diesel HD, that they'd build a totally separate transmission for the gas HD?

None of that makes ANY sense if you're a manufacturer and even trying to generate a profit.

Reactions: DMaxRocks
#34 ·
They took the successful 1/2-ton 10-spd design, and doubled it's size for the 2020 HD's design. Then Allison contributed.

The TC looks similar to the one in the SD 10-spd.

#35 ·
I'm just not sure how you guys can argue with the thread that 77Cruiser posted. I think we can all agree that Mike L knows his Sh*t when it comes to transmissions & has been a huge help on these forums for many years. For him to go in to detail on these new transmissions and state his finding and be completely wrong is a snow ball chance in hell.

At the end of the day if the thing hold massive power i could care less. I'll even go to the extent of saying that i wish the big 3 would get together to create one bad*ss truck

#36 ·
i wish the big 3 would get together to create one bad*ss truck
They did.
GM, Allison, and Navastar....it's the new Dmax MD. marx

Reactions: redwngr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.