2020 HD MultiPro Tailgate Hitch Ball Solution - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017 and up (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2017+ topics not related to powertrain

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

2020 HD MultiPro Tailgate Hitch Ball Solution

While I'm sure we are all awaiting a solution for the adjustable hitches to come out with a solution to work with the multipro tailgate. I decided to try and find something that was already around that would work. I originally had a b&w tow and stow, and it was set to 6 inches of drop for my 2020 which sits just about right for a level ride with my utility trailer. Got me to thinking is there a 6 inch drop hitch that has the angled design? And would it clear the new multipro tailgate fully deployed? The answer to both is YES! YES it does! Here is a couple of links to a couple options.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45342-Fo.../dp/B00IIOA0C8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZ1VVCQ...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Attached Images

Big Daddy Yum Yum and lukewho like this.

2020 GMC Denali HD 3500 SRW Quicksilver

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:50 PM

Pretty cool.

Question: I think that the top section of the tailgate on opens via a button (electrically). Is that true?

If that is true, then what occurs to me is that installing a sprung switch in the hitch receiver that opens electrically when a hitch is actually in the receiver and wiring that into the tailgate control wiring would keep the gate from opening when a draw bar is in the receiver. This would be like a safety and would keep you from dinging the tailgate when you forget about the clearance problem. Electrically speaking, this would be VERY easy to do. Might have to piddle and experiment a little on the switch in the receiver socket but I envision a lever or something similar that is shoved back or to the side when the draw bar is shoved in thus activating the switch (opening it electrically) and interrupting the "open" circuit for that part of the tailgate.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter

Last edited by long-time-dmax; 09-10-2019 at 07:52 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by long-time-dmax View Post
Pretty cool.

Question: I think that the top section of the tailgate on opens via a button (electrically). Is that true?

If that is true, then what occurs to me is that installing a sprung switch in the hitch receiver that opens electrically when a hitch is actually in the receiver and wiring that into the tailgate control wiring would keep the gate from opening when a draw bar is in the receiver. This would be like a safety and would keep you from dinging the tailgate when you forget about the clearance problem. Electrically speaking, this would be VERY easy to do. Might have to piddle and experiment a little on the switch in the receiver socket but I envision a lever or something similar that is shoved back or to the side when the draw bar is shoved in thus activating the switch (opening it electrically) and interrupting the "open" circuit for that part of the tailgate.

Im sure it could be done, and yes its an electric lock with two buttons. The reason I posted this configuration or setup is because you don't have to worry about it.

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM

I have a couple of trailers that I doubt would tow very well on a 5" drop. Currently I'm running a 3" rise on one and flat on the other. Both with 5/16" balls. Of course the new trucks sit higher than mine, but I doubt 7" -8" higher.

Your solution is definitely simpler and easier, just not sure it can work for everything.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter

Last edited by long-time-dmax; Yesterday at 04:58 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbill View Post
Won't work.... hits the new multi pro tailgate due to how far it comes out of the hitch. That's why the angled one works.

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Won’t clear this?
Attached Images

2017 GMC Denali 4 x 4
T-bars cranked 1.75 above stock
Differential drop spacers
Bilstein 5100 on front w/extension and rear
305/55/20 Nitto Ridge Grappler
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

Had the multipro gate and hitch issue briefly on my 1500...

Yeah for a fully electric tailgate there should be a hitch interlock... Got past the GM designers or they just don't care...

And while we are at it... How about a dash indicator when the tailgate open... Sure we all get absent minded every now and then... w my toneau cover I can't see it... almost dumped my gear pulling away and remembered the gate was down...
jdwarren likes this.

2019 Denali HD
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireDmax View Post

And while we are at it... How about a dash indicator when the tailgate open... Sure we all get absent minded every now and then... w my toneau cover I can't see it... almost dumped my gear pulling away and remembered the gate was down...
I've lost a few tools in my day from an open tailgate. A indicator would be great since there is a button in the cab to open it.
NHfireDmax likes this.

2020 Denali 2500 Duramax Crewcab 4x4
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbill View Post
Won’t clear this?
No the multi pro hits that even folded up.

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in