2020 Denalli HD Beta Testing PPEI Street Performance Calibrations - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ GM T1 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2020 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
DF Sponsors

 
mrmanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 10,928
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
2020 Denalli HD Beta Testing PPEI Street Performance Calibrations

Before I get started, I mean no offense but this thread is not here for a debate about whether delete tuning is better than emission compliant tuning. That ship has sailed and we need to move on to what we can do with our trucks. This is designed for information sharing and question answering.

We have been helping #PPEI with beta testing a 2020 Denalli HD with their new Street Performance Calibrations. So like the 17-19s it still requires an ECU swap and they are currently using HPTuner MVPI2 and associated software.

This single tune we are testing is a 100hp file that is emissions compliant. We had a hiccup in the very beginning last week with licensing the vehicle with the HP software. PPEI was able to work through it though and after that there no hitches. The HP MVPI2 uses tuning credits to license a truck. For a L5P it takes 10 tuning credits to license it.

So here is what I had to do:

1. The ECU is essentially under the battery. The only way to get to it is by removing the driver side fender inner liner with a torx bit.

2. Four 7mm bolts hold the ECU to the frame.

3. There are three ratchet style plugs and each one has a center lock on it. The smallest of the three plugs also has a button you have to push down on top of the plug to remove it.

4. Install in reverse order. I left the liner out until it was flashed to make sure there weren't going to be any problems and have to go back to stock setup.

5. Now that ECU is installed, we fired up the laptop. With the ignition on but not running, you connect to the truck. When it opened it needs to license the truck. Like I said earlier, it requires 10 HP tuning credits to do this. Once it is licensed, you do a write entire option to write the file to the unlocked ECU. This took about 5-6 minutes.

6. Once installed I let the truck warm up for a bit while I re-installed the fender inner liner.

7. You have to go through a process of relearning the crank and the ECU immobilizer. The crank you can do with your HP software. The immobilizer needs to be done with a GM tool. The truck will run fine without the immobilizer, JUST DON'T TRY TO REMOTE START UNTIL IT IS RELEARNED.

I have about 35 miles on the truck so far. One thing I would recommend and will probably get added to PPEIs instructions is doing a manual regen before you start driving it to make sure you are starting from a clean slate.

Truck is way more responsive! Unlike the 6 speeds that get mad after a flash and have to relearn everything and will shift weird, the 10 speed didn't skip a beat, shifted as smooth as before the flash. On one run I got over 40.5PSI of boost and threw a warning alarm on my Banks IDash but that is just an alarm for me and can be adjusted up.

Going to get immobilizer relearned tomorrow then some data logging for Kory to take a look at things but initially I am all smiles. Now to see how it does with regens, def usage and fuel economy.

Attached Images
   
Shov, Noble_dmax, dlsolo and 2 others like this.
mrmanners is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:38 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Thanks for the introductory write up. Im following along, while i have full deletes for my truck, they are not yet installed. Im very curious as to how mileage, DEF and regen are effected. Obviously this is a beta test, but the sample data will be very interesting to see and analyze.

Keep us updated!
Dirty5P is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:04 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter
 
Sierraluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,696
Garage
😎

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanners View Post
Before I get started, I mean no offense but this thread is not here for a debate about whether delete tuning is better than emission compliant tuning. That ship has sailed and we need to move on to what we can do with our trucks. This is designed for information sharing and question answering.

We have been helping #PPEI with beta testing a 2020 Denalli HD with their new Street Performance Calibrations. So like the 17-19s it still requires an ECU swap and they are currently using HPTuner MVPI2 and associated software.

This single tune we are testing is a 100hp file that is emissions compliant. We had a hiccup in the very beginning last week with licensing the vehicle with the HP software. PPEI was able to work through it though and after that there no hitches. The HP MVPI2 uses tuning credits to license a truck. For a L5P it takes 10 tuning credits to license it.

So here is what I had to do:

1. The ECU is essentially under the battery. The only way to get to it is by removing the driver side fender inner liner with a torx bit.

2. Four 7mm bolts hold the ECU to the frame.

3. There are three ratchet style plugs and each one has a center lock on it. The smallest of the three plugs also has a button you have to push down on top of the plug to remove it.

4. Install in reverse order. I left the liner out until it was flashed to make sure there weren't going to be any problems and have to go back to stock setup.

5. Now that ECU is installed, we fired up the laptop. With the ignition on but not running, you connect to the truck. When it opened it needs to license the truck. Like I said earlier, it requires 10 HP tuning credits to do this. Once it is licensed, you do a write entire option to write the file to the unlocked ECU. This took about 5-6 minutes.

6. Once installed I let the truck warm up for a bit while I re-installed the fender inner liner.

7. You have to go through a process of relearning the crank and the ECU immobilizer. The crank you can do with your HP software. The immobilizer needs to be done with a GM tool. The truck will run fine without the immobilizer, JUST DON'T TRY TO REMOTE START UNTIL IT IS RELEARNED.

I have about 35 miles on the truck so far. One thing I would recommend and will probably get added to PPEIs instructions is doing a manual regen before you start driving it to make sure you are starting from a clean slate.

Truck is way more responsive! Unlike the 6 speeds that get mad after a flash and have to relearn everything and will shift weird, the 10 speed didn't skip a beat, shifted as smooth as before the flash. On one run I got over 40.5PSI of boost and threw a warning alarm on my Banks IDash but that is just an alarm for me and can be adjusted up.

Going to get immobilizer relearned tomorrow then some data logging for Kory to take a look at things but initially I am all smiles. Now to see how it does with regens, def usage and fuel economy.

So what youíre saying is:
Attached Images
 



🤘 Kennedy fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
Sierraluva is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
DF Sponsors

 
mrmanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 10,928
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty5P View Post
Thanks for the introductory write up. Im following along, while i have full deletes for my truck, they are not yet installed. Im very curious as to how mileage, DEF and regen are effected. Obviously this is a beta test, but the sample data will be very interesting to see and analyze.

Keep us updated!
Glad to help. How often have you been regening and how much DEF have you used thus far? What are you seeing for fuel economy? I have over 3400 miles on mine now. I was seening regens about every 400-500 miles with the longest being over 600 from a trip I took to Atlanta. As far as DEF, the truck wasn't quite filled up when I picked it up. I filled it up about 2700 miles and it wasn't quite empty but had gotten a DEF low alarm notification. Before the tuning, I was avg 16ish around town and upwards of 20 on the highway.
mrmanners is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanners View Post
Glad to help. How often have you been regening and how much DEF have you used thus far? What are you seeing for fuel economy? I have over 3400 miles on mine now. I was seening regens about every 400-500 miles with the longest being over 600 from a trip I took to Atlanta. As far as DEF, the truck wasn't quite filled up when I picked it up. I filled it up about 2700 miles and it wasn't quite empty but had gotten a DEF low alarm notification. Before the tuning, I was avg 16ish around town and upwards of 20 on the highway.
My truck regens about every 400-500 miles, similar to yours. DEF is a little hard to track right now, i have three free oil services with my dealer as part of the deal, ive used two thus far - im changing my oil per the HUD percentage recommendation and they top it off each time i go in, i have one left and then i can track it. Mileage varies, 90% of my driving is highway miles, morning commute is easy but horrific on the way home, however, im averaging 19.5 highway and 16ish around town before any deletes or tuning are implemented.
Dirty5P is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
DF Sponsors

 
mrmanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 10,928
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty5P View Post
My truck regens about every 400-500 miles, similar to yours. DEF is a little hard to track right now, i have three free oil services with my dealer as part of the deal, ive used two thus far - im changing my oil per the HUD percentage recommendation and they top it off each time i go in, i have one left and then i can track it. Mileage varies, 90% of my driving is highway miles, morning commute is easy but horrific on the way home, however, im averaging 19.5 highway and 16ish around town before any deletes or tuning are implemented.
Personally, I go by mileage vs the % on the dash. Same for the fuel filter.
mrmanners is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:14 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanners View Post
Personally, I go by mileage vs the % on the dash. Same for the fuel filter.
I did the same, until i was told by the dealer that i risk warranty issues if i dont follow it, ever heard of that one? Me neither! That being said, any sort of EGR delete or emissions tuning is going to void the warranty anyway; either way, one of them will be done soon, so i didnt feel like fighting their comment.

Question regarding the beta tunes youre currently testing - Is this similar in fashion to the standard offroad deletes that used to be available, meaning, do you have your choice of different HP levels, or is this one tune that is optimized because of the limitations of the emissions systems on our trucks?
Dirty5P is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
DF Sponsors

 
mrmanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 10,928
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty5P View Post
I did the same, until i was told by the dealer that i risk warranty issues if i dont follow it, ever heard of that one? Me neither! That being said, any sort of EGR delete or emissions tuning is going to void the warranty anyway; either way, one of them will be done soon, so i didnt feel like fighting their comment.

Question regarding the beta tunes youre currently testing - Is this similar in fashion to the standard offroad deletes that used to be available, meaning, do you have your choice of different HP levels, or is this one tune that is optimized because of the limitations of the emissions systems on our trucks?
I was never offered mx with my LML and because I bought my 2020 out of town, I wasn't going to drive 40 miles to get an oil change. I always switch things over to AMSOIL on the first change anyway. I would need to review the owners manual but I believe they have mileage listed in there for changing fluids. I can't remember what is says for oil.

As far as the tuning, the different HP levels will be similar to the off-road tunes they were offering until recently. There currently is not a switch so until something comes out for the L5P, you have to change your tunes with the HP MVPI2 and their software. We had to do this with the LML until they came out with a switch for it.
mrmanners is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanners View Post
I was never offered mx with my LML and because I bought my 2020 out of town, I wasn't going to drive 40 miles to get an oil change. I always switch things over to AMSOIL on the first change anyway. I would need to review the owners manual but I believe they have mileage listed in there for changing fluids. I can't remember what is says for oil.

As far as the tuning, the different HP levels will be similar to the off-road tunes they were offering until recently. There currently is not a switch so until something comes out for the L5P, you have to change your tunes with the HP MVPI2 and their software. We had to do this with the LML until they came out with a switch for it.
Hows the beta testing going thus far? Any mileage, power, or DEF useage data that you can share yet?
Dirty5P is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
DF Sponsors

 
mrmanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 10,928
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Update: things are progressing. I have a couple data logs into PPEI for review and some tweaks. I have had one regen thus far at 273 miles but that was shortly after I installed it. My Idash said I was at 81% soot level this morning on the way into work so we will see where this next regen lands. It take a bit for fuel economy #s to balance out after retuning so it will be a bit before I can give any numbers there. This is a 100HP tune so I am looking to test something smaller to see if things improve over the 100.

Overall, it woke the truck up and lets it dance now.
mrmanners is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome