First Potential Duramax (Is the L5P worth it?) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ GM T1 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

31Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

First Potential Duramax (Is the L5P worth it?)

All,

With the new EPA crackdown on diesel tuning I am coming to terms with running all emissions equipment intact on my work/family truck. Currently I drive a 2016 6.7 cummins, but with all the weight it lost, my desire for a new and flashy truck, and the current lack of "tuning" options....I am at an fork in the proverbial road. I drive a lot more than I tow for work, since its a personal vehicle....the depreciation of a gasser has put me in diesels for a number of years, over a course of 4 months I have put 20k on this truck (far from the highest, but way ahead of low use) and will stick with the diesel truck world. Weekly trips around the state range from 200 miles, to 1200 miles and idle times vary (at one point my last truck didn't turn off for 13 hours). Couple that will frequent drives to TN and GA to visit family, I can really rack up miles.

I have always liked the way the GMs looked, and the new 2020 (as well as the 2019) just seems to be right up my ally....but it leads to a huge question, how is everyone fairing with the emissions? Everyone on the inter webs spits out hatred for the emissions, how the trucks will be (or are) unreliable, and that losing some weight is the only real option....BUT, accepting that the EPA has cracked down on the sales and distribution, in all honesty, I don't feel like messing with emissions bypassing.

Is everyone happy with the L5P? How are the regens? Anyone up to or over 100k that can chime in on the longevity of the emissions system? By design, will proper maintenance (or in this case driving) lead to a long happy emissions life?

I don't worry so much about the power-train lasting, but emissions longevity really give me pause prior to dumping the 64k on the 2019 (old style) Denali my wife and I just drove (or the 72k for the 2020 AT4).

Gonna continue to read as I wait for responses, thanks for all the intel anyone can provide, its a big decision, and first hand knowledge is appreciated.

VR

Corbin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:09 PM

Garage
** I'm going to follow this thread. **

I have been reading and researching diesels for a few years now...coming from a 2004 2500HD 8.1/496/Allison gas.

Really wanted to get LML Duramax, but the high price of used and the CP4 pump issue cause me to hesitate. I fully planned to delete the emissions and drive it in to the ground. If it weren't for the CP4 issue, I would probably be in an LML right now.

Knew that the 2019's would be dropping in price with the 2020's coming out. Glad I waited...

Used 2500HD Crew Cabs in LTZ trim were in the $54-59k range. Throw in extra $$$ for delete and CP3 conversion...nope that just wasn't going to fit in the budget.

Last week I pulled the trigger on a 2019 LTZ that had almost all the options on my wish-list.

Incentives and discounts knocked 20% off MSRP...it was $66k and some change, got down to $52,572...but not low enough. Talked to dealer in to throwing in tonneau cover, bed mat, mud flapps, floor liners, under seat storage, window tint. I'm happy.

Other truck I was looking at was a 2016 LTZ with 27k miles...they wanted $51,950...no brainer to get the new 2019!

I never really looked at 2020 HD's, as they are longer and will not really fit in my garage. And I am not a fan of new tech...would rather wait and see how the new 10 speed does behind the 2020 Duramax.

Interested to see what others are seeing from their L5P's...
Attached Images

APPPQs likes this.

'19 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 6.6L/L5P, Allison
'04 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 8.1L/496, Allison *selling soon*
'72 Chevy K-20 Crate 350, SM465, 4.10's
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:45 PM

Welcome to the site first off!!! I think as in my case the 19 truck has most of the emission bugs worked out, (Knock on wood) I'm at 33,XXX miles on my truck in 13 months, and I've not had any issues with the emissions at all. At the same millage on my 2011 (first year) I had been to the shop 4 or 5 times and had replaced the DEF tank twice, once by GM the other was my fault.
I drive 10 miles each way to work, the first 7 to 8 is open road at 60 Mph, the last 3 to 4 is stop and go small town with 8 stop lights to deal with, if this is all the driving I do this truck will regen at about 300-350 miles it will do something that my 2011 would not do and that is regen at low speeds 30 mph in stop and go traffic. In my thoughts if you want a diesel the L5P is the only one to have!! On the highway empty at 75-80 Mph I can go 808 miles before it does a regen, that 808 number has been the max milage the truck has ever gone and it has done it muiltupe times.
long-time-dmax and DaubsNU1 like this.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 2500 4X4 Duramax Traded 162,000 miles!!

2019 GMC Sierra 3500 HD CC 4X4 Duramax SRW LWB Stone Blue Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:48 PM
ADE
DuramaxForum n00b

..... We got a 2019 Dually Denali 3500 with 11.7K miles since End of April, usually 1400# over GVWR with our TC loaded.... Rides great loaded and absolutely NO ISSUES so far..... But I drive slow & easy with no pedal to the metal... Mostly highway and back country roads in the Western states.... In case you are unaware itís an Isuzu design motor....2nd one for me....
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:57 PM

Having owned my LB7 since new, I'm not super knowledgeable about emissions gear but I have also been looking to upgrade to a new truck... so I have been reading and asking questions for almost 4 years now. From what I can tell, the emissions systems on the L5P are pretty trouble-free. Been watching and reading everything I could since before they were into'd in '17 and I can tell you that the horror stories with emissions just have not been there with the L5P like previous models.

I've pretty much decided that I will buy a '21 or '22 and am pretty satisfied that the L5P is solid. The new 10 speed has yet to prove itself but it's getting VERY high marks right now and even though Allison isn't building it, they did put their name on it so that gives me some confidence there.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:16 PM

What makes me apprehensive is the out of warranty issues. Emission systems taking a crap is EXPENSIVE. I'm honestly not worried about them failing in warranty.

I tend to keep my vehicles until they are pretty much run to death. I don't know if that will be possible with new diesels since deleting them is becoming not an option.
DaubsNU1 likes this.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick112288 View Post
What makes me apprehensive is the out of warranty issues. Emission systems taking a crap is EXPENSIVE. I'm honestly not worried about them failing in warranty.
The GDI, AFM, DFM gasoline engines have their own set of expensive issues. I'm not sure we can dodge the long reach of the EPA.
DaubsNU1 likes this.

2019 GMC 2500HD
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 AM

21k on my L5P zero issues. I worry most about egr carbon buildup but canít find any info anywhere on it. Maybe thatís a good sign.

It does have a built in oil separator maybe that helps with the buildup.

I regen at least once a tank I think and itís mostly cruising highway country roads and commuting long distances to work 500 miles one way each week. Should be easy life for it I hope and hope it lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wensteph View Post
The GDI, AFM, DFM gasoline engines have their own set of expensive issues. I'm not sure we can dodge the long reach of the EPA.
Agreed. I looked long and hard at transitioning to a 1/2 ton Silverado. Four things worried me:

1. AFM/DFM: Maybe I read too much on the inter-webs, but the cylinder deactivation scares the crap out of me.
2. 8 speed transmission: Known issues with this GM transmission. And the majority of 1500 Silverado's I was looking at came with the 8 speed. Nope.
3. Auto start / stop: I know it saves fuel, but I just cannot stand when vehicle shuts off at stop light. Yes, you can deactivate the system...
4. Going from 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton: I actually prefer the ride of the 2500HD's vs. the 1500's. I had two 1500's back in the day ('99 and '01), and they were great trucks. The HD was just so much better. And when it comes to capability of my truck, I'd rather have it and not need it, vs. need it and not have it.

'19 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 6.6L/L5P, Allison
'04 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 8.1L/496, Allison *selling soon*
'72 Chevy K-20 Crate 350, SM465, 4.10's
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:21 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Same situation as DaubsNU1
I am a Chevy guy this is truck number 9 over the years
1970 was first used in highschool
Had a 1982 6.2 diesel 250,000 miles before I sold it
Needed a 2500 to pull a 5th wheel
Got a deal on the 2019 LTZ Z71 loaded
Only 5000 miles on it // love it so far...
deezers1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode