Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2020 L5P different?

13K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  jagster936 
#1 ·
Just watched a Banks Power video claiming some adjustments made to the L5P motor for 2020 trucks exclusively. Does anyone have further information on this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Not sure which banks video you watched, but Gale did one showing some of the physical engine differences.

Cooling system has capacity increase as does engine oil cooler. Fan drive is different to support the fan/radiator size increase. These changes were part of what was necessary to get the increased SAE towing rating.

Hard to argue that it's not different, as the items he points out are external and easy to see.

Of course there is also the the new transmission, new transfer case and new def system.
These will all require different programming in the various computers.

#3 ·
Not sure which banks video you watched, but Gale did one showing some of the physical engine differences.

Cooling system has capacity increase as does engine oil cooler. Fan drive is different to support the fan/radiator size increase. These changes were part of what was necessary to get the increased SAE towing rating.

Hard to argue that it's not different, as the items he points out are external and easy to see.

Of course there is also the the new transmission, new transfer case and new def system.

These will all require different programming in the various computers.

Sounds like you are talking about the same video. Okay that’s interesting , I didn’t think they had variations of the same motor models. Guess you learn something new everyday . Have to do some more research , thanks for the reply !

#4 ·
I re-watched Banks original video comparing LML to L5P.

At the time Gale felt that GM could legitimately get 500HP and 1,000lb torque from the L5P with nothing more than software adjustment.

Changes for 2020 to me look external to the engine...

#6 ·
When does anyone think they’ll update the power again? Couple years?

#8 ·
When does anyone think they’ll update the power again? Couple years?
GM will up the power in a year or two...then surround with marketing campaign "...most powerful Diesel..."

Then Ford will do the same...

Then Dodge...

Who on God's green earth really needs 910lbs of torque? Or 1,000lbs?

It's all about marketing, image, and getting people to want and buy the latest and greatest...which all feeds back to sales, profits, keeping investors happy.

It's all about the benjamins...

Reactions: jagster936
#10 ·
I watched that Banks video. Looked like all the changes were external - even could be called "bolt-on". So maybe that's why they still call it the L5P. Looked like you could add all this new cooling gear to a '17-19' L5P by just bolting stuff on. Of course the bigger radiator, fan and such might be hard to add to a pre-'20 body. Nothing internal to the motor (block, heads, rods, crank, pistons... changed)

#13 · (Edited)
Yes TP1015--check the manual Diesel Supplement. I posted it below:

Maintenance Replacement Parts
Replacement parts identified below by name, part number, or specification can be obtained from your dealer.
Part GM Part Number ACDelco Part Number
Engine Air Cleaner/Filter 84554703 A3248C
Fuel Filter 23304096 TP1015
Engine Oil Filter 12684038 PF26

Use only the specified filters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.