Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   2020+ GM T1 Platform Powertrain (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2020-gm-t1-platform-powertrain/)
-   -   2020 Re-Gen? (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2020-gm-t1-platform-powertrain/1001495-2020-re-gen.html)

Cobb92 10-30-2019 08:33 AM

2020 Re-Gen?

Whats up Duramax'ers? I have 600 miles on my 2020 GMC LP5. Driving home yesterday, I noticed a familiar smell of a Duramax in re-gen. The thing that has me scratching my head is the fact that I did not notice the engine idle up. My previous LML would have a noticeable high idle when in re-gen, but I did not see this on my tach or notice any difference during idle. Today, driving to work the engine produced the same smell (oil/rubber) so I am under the impression the truck is in re-gen mode. Maybe I did not pay attention, but what should the RPM's be when in re-gen and when not in re-gen? I also checked for oil leaks or debris that may have landed on the exhaust.

1Blue78 10-30-2019 09:25 AM

when not in regen mine idles at ~700 when in regen I am at ~850. you will also see a noticeable depreciation in your instantaneous mileage.

Cobb92 10-30-2019 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info. With my LML, the idle was very noticeable along with the exhaust note when it was in regen mode. This new LP5, I have not noticed the idle speed increase. In fact, it seems like normal engine idle. If this is the new regen idle speed for the LP5, then I am impressed because it is not noticeable. I just wish GM would include something like a page in the info screen that would let you know. Other then that, I am just driving and enjoying her plus it has a warranty if it has any issues.

RichieRichZ06 11-19-2019 09:38 AM

I've definitely noticed the same thing on my 2020. I have 11k miles and I've never seen the elevated idle during a regen like on all my previous L5P trucks. This truck seems to be a little more subtle when performing a mobile regen.

White94rx 11-19-2019 12:48 PM

Sounds to me like it's a good thing and nothing to complain about. I hate it when my 19 regens. If I'm going down the road, I couldn't care less. But if I'm driving around in stop and go, the higher idle annoys me a little.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jpg.crna 11-20-2019 07:22 PM

Mine finally did it's first regen yesterday at around 900 miles. I could tell from the smell and the drop in gas mileage. But my rpm's didn't seem to kick up like in my lml either. I was idling at around 600 rpm during the regen. I did notice that the process seemed to take less time than the lml which was nice.