Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New 3.0 Duramax Owner - Early Issues

64K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Glen256282 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey All,

Just wanted to introduce myself and bring up a couple of issues that I have had come up early (520 miles). I got a new 4x4 crew cab RST a little over a week ago. I came from the Titan XD with the 5.0 Cummins. Decent truck but this Silverado with the 3.0 fits my needs better.

Now onto the early issues. As others have mentioned, my fans are running full blast. It's relatively cold (24 degrees) here so this is weird. I also got a CEL this morning with the following codes: P111E and P149D. The on-star diagnostic email said it is "An issue with the Engine and Transmission System". I've got an appointment made for Thursday morning to get it looked at. I'm not sure if this is the reason for the issue or just a coincidence, but last night I installed the auto-stop eliminator.

I'm not too worried about these early issues. This is a new powertrain and there are bound to be some growing pains. I will keep everyone updated as to what the dealer says and does to fix these codes.

Happy New Years Everyone!

#2 ·
See the later post concerning the fans.

#4 ·
There is a post farther down concerning the 3.0 dmax fans. It is further explained at " gmtechlink.com". On the latest newsletter. Has to do with ecm programming and use of block heater.

#5 · (Edited)
Cooling Fans Running for an Extended Period

December 13, 2019
Some 2020 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 models equipped with the 3.0L diesel engine (RPO LM2) (Fig. 12) may have the engine cooling fans running continuously for an extended period of time. The Check Engine MIL also may be illuminated.

Fig. 12

Currently, an engine calibration in the Engine Control Module (ECM) will falsely set DTC P0111 (Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1 Performance), which occurs when the engine block heater is used in ambient temperatures above 0°F/–18°C. As a result, the cooling system will go into remedial action and turn on the cooling fans at 100%. The remedial action will continue until the engine goes through a six hour cold soak.

If this condition is found, clear the DTC and return the vehicle to the customer. Do not perform any further diagnosis or replace any related components. An updated calibration will be available shortly.

Also inform the customer to avoid engine block heater use in temperatures above 0°F/–18°C. While the owner’s manual states an engine block heater should be used in temperatures less than 0°F/–18°C, it isn’t vital until much lower temperatures of less than –13°F/–25°C.

#6 ·
Hey All,

Just wanted to introduce myself and bring up a couple issues that I have had come up early (520 miles). I got a new 4x4 crew cab RST a little over a week ago. I came from the Titan XD with the 5.0 cummins. Decent truck but this Silverado with the 3.0 fits my needs better.

Congrats and welcome...

#8 ·
Thank you RW for posting the tech info. Maybe it will help the guys with the new baby dmax's

#11 ·
There is a reprogramming for this- has to do with the block heater and outside temps keeping the fans on. Go to GM-techlink.com in the December issue and read it-- tell your dealer to try the reprogramming.

#14 ·
Look back several posts-- redwinger already posted the entire document from techlink
Hope this helps with your problem. Found that dealerships don't or won't look at their own data available to them and a new techlink is posted around the 1st of every month. It and GM upfitters have a wealth of info for these trucks

#15 ·
Hey All,

Just wanted to introduce myself and bring up a couple issues that I have had come up early (520 miles). I got a new 4x4 crew cab RST a little over a week ago. I came from the Titan XD with the 5.0 cummins. Decent truck but this Silverado with the 3.0 fits my needs better.

Now onto the early issues. Like others have mentioned, my fans are running full blast. Its relatively cold (24 degrees) here so this is weird. I also got a CEL this morning with the following codes: P111E and P149D. The on-star diagnostic email said it is "An issue with the Engine and Transmission System". I've got an appointment made for Thursday morning to get it looked at. I'm not sure if this is the reason for the issue or just a coincidence, but last night I installed the auto-stop eliminator.

I'm not too worried about these early issues. This is a new powertrain and there are bound to be some growing pains. I will keep everyone updated as to what the dealer says and does to fix these codes.

Had the same issue with my 2020 High Country Duramax 3.0 . There was a problem with a air bubble in my cooling system. When was removed problem gone . Never came back that was at 300 km on the truck.

#19 ·
Hey All,

Now onto the early issues. Like others have mentioned, my fans are running full blast. Its relatively cold (24 degrees) here so this is weird. I also got a CEL this morning with the following codes: P111E and P149D. The on-star diagnostic email said it is "An issue with the Engine and Transmission System". I've got an appointment made for Thursday morning to get it looked at. I'm not sure if this is the reason for the issue or just a coincidence, but last night I installed the auto-stop eliminator.

Had my fans come on full blast about 30 degrees out drove 18 miles, parked drove mile at 30 in town. went to dealer, they replaced entire shutter assembly 11k miles. 500 miles later, check engine lite came on , took to dealer, no codes set, day later had a 160 mile trip to make, light came on again, all gages normal, 27 mpg average, will tke in tomorrow,
air bag warning comes on from time to time.
want to make a cross country trip but worried now, have 13 k miles change oil ever 5k or less. drive almost all highway miles, no towing.??? thinking of getting rid of it. 2020 Denali white, loaded.

#20 ·
Hey All,

Had fans running full blast about 25 degrees, temp gage bottomed out, dealer replaced whole shutter/sensor assembly. Worked for about 8-900 miles , fans on again, dealer had for over a week, hunting a short they never did find in wiring harness, did overlay(added a wire to bypass problem the could not find find, working now with about 300 miles, other issues airbag service warning4 times, passenger seat belt service warning 5 times , radio stops working5,6 times, map light drivers side came on by itself. 2020 Denali 3.0 quad cab ultimate pkg. !!! Glen

#24 ·
Mine came on as a result of plugging in found out can't leave thermostatic plug head on the ground in marginal weather.There was a guy on youtube that had the fan come on high for no seemingly plausible reason but he never say what the cause was. Don't know why someone bothers to post without coming out with the end result.

#26 ·
Filed a complaint under Florida lemon law, got GM customer services attention, but they just make notes, and wait for the next shoe to drop. As of April 17th 2021 with 20k miles and a round trip between Minnesota and Florida, no additional codes or engine lights, seems the "Overlay" of a wire to fix an intermittent short that they couldn't nail down is working.
Fingers crossed, not sure what to do if I keep it past warranty and start having more of the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.