New 3.0L I6 Dmax..... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ LM2 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
New 3.0L I6 Dmax.....

It's been a few weeks now since GM media days, and whoToob is full of tests/reviews.

Too little too late? Or, not?
Price point works, lots of torque, exhaust brake, 10-spd....mpg, closely guarded it seems.
All Emissions/exhaust is under the hood.
EGR source is now aft of exhaust filter, so no soot clogging issues.
Looks like Denso pump and injectors.
Water cooled CAC.
Not sure about the belt driven oil pump? ("accessed by simply dropping the trans?!")

poosniffer, Minerigger and CDmax16 like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:48 AM

Ya know what surprises me is heavy stuff like the CAT 777 and 792 mining trucks and the current versions of the EMD locomotives use diesel - electric. Then you have guys like my friend Dennis (Kilowatt) Berube who the first 7 second 160mph record for electric dragster which has since been broken for ET, but only barely by MPH. So you can make MASSIVE torque to haul the load, and can make as much speed as your battery burn-down will take. WHY haven't they made a diesel / electric hybrid yet!

Myself I don't see this little D-max wanna-be making the torque to pull like we expect from a diesel,, well not until they get smart and use it to drive the alternator that drives the wheel motors.
Hook'em_Horns! and DMaxRocks like this.

2004.5 Silverado CCSB LLY
Sinister EGR delete,
S&B air box and up-sized S&B intake mouthpiece,
CAT converter delete,
ATP 5 stage tune - Edge CST w/ EGT and backup camera,
5" AFE Power full exhaust kit
Airlift 5000# bags w/ on-board remote compressor

Just a nice CLEAN stock truck for towing the toys to the playground with a back seat full of grandkids

Last edited by MarvDmax04.5; 07-20-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: sp
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:34 AM

Depends on what you're towing. The 3.0L will do fine with a toy hauler or 23-27 ft boat. I pulled a 23' center console with T-top from Savannah to far Eastern Long Island each year with a 3.0L TDI that made less torque than this engine. That's 2,000 miles round trip at 70-75 mph for a total of 14,000 miles. 3.0L will do just fine.

2019 GMC 2500HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
It's been a few weeks now since GM media days, and whoToob is full of tests/reviews.

Too little too late? Or, not?
Price point works, lots of torque, exhaust brake, 10-spd....mpg, closely guarded it seems.
All Emissions/exhaust is under the hood.
EGR source is now aft of exhaust filter, so no soot clogging issues.
Looks like Denso pump and injectors.
Water cooled CAC.
Not sure about the belt driven oil pump? ("accessed by simply dropping the trans?!")
Yeah, a wet drive belt for the variable displacement oil pump that has a life limit! What were they thinking! Everything else back there is chain driven. WTF! Someone out there must have really been hitting the crack pipe on that one. I love the comment about not being hard to replace, just have to remove the tranny to access it. Love the fact that the EGR tap is now downstream of the DPF. That is where is should have been all the time. Dean

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 07-20-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean E View Post
That is where it should have been all the time. Dean
Exactly.
And all of it there....still concerned about the underhood heat potential, instead of down under the cab in the airflow.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Exactly.
And all of it there....still concerned about the underhood heat potential, instead of down under the cab in the airflow.
I'm thinking the airflow from the radiator fan thru the compartment will handle most of that but still that is a lot of heat to deal with. Dean
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Right now GM specs the new DexosD oil which is 0W-20. I would worry about fuel dilution since they are using injector pulses for regin and not a 7th injector downstream.

2019 GMC 2500HD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensteph View Post
Right now GM specs the new DexosD oil which is 0W-20. I would worry about fuel dilution since they are using injector pulses for regin and not a 7th injector downstream.
That is strickly for better fuel economy. Never been a fan of these ultra thin oils even if they are synthetic. If I was to ever order one (and I doubt it with the stupid belt driven oil pump) I would switch to a good synthetic 5w30 if they make that in a diesel oil. Dean
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:11 PM

I would not pay the premium in purchase price and ongoing maintenance and repair costs for a diesel when a gas engine can provide enough torque for the trailer load. At 13,000 lbs tow load I want a diesel engine. Under 8,000 lbs. gas is fine and for daily driving a gas engine is far superior to a diesel one in every respect.

I do understand that the truck manufacturers need to meet the higher fuel economy requirements for the feds and if they can con customers into buying diesels it is a win win for them. A hybrid gas truck is optimum with current technology but the big 4 have been dragging their feet. Ram has its etorque engines but they are like diesel with reduced reliability and higher costs which are passed along to gullible customers.

"In almost every case (where the United States has fought wars) our overwhelming commitment to freedom, democracy and human rights has required us to support those regimes that would deny freedom, democracy and human rights to their own people." - Gore Vidal
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean E View Post
...I would switch to a good synthetic 5w30 if they make that in a diesel oil. Dean
Lots of CK-4 in 5W-30 out there.

2019 GMC 2500HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« New LM2 Forum! | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode