New LM2 Forum! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ LM2 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hook'em_Horns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
New LM2 Forum!

All New 3.0L I-6 Duramax Diesel for 2020 1500s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxStore
The 2020 Silverado and Sierra 1500 has multiple all new Powertrains offered, with 5 different engines to choose from there is a good option for anybody in the light duty truck market.

One of the most notable engines is the all new 3.0 liter inline six turbo diesel, this was an all new engine designed in house by General Motors.

They could choose from virtually any engine architecture they wanted, GM chose the inline six for the many efficiency advantages.
The inline six motor is inherently balanced, low friction, and low weight compared to some other engine architectures, all of these advantages result in a smoother, cleaner operating engine. This diesel engine weights in at only 212 KG, only 5 more KG than the 5.3 liter gasoline option that is available.

The block for the LM2 has been constructed from aluminum along with the cylinder heads, this keeps the weight at a minimum. In order to keep the strength in the cylinder walls they have inserted a metal sleeve without sacrificing any weight the a cast iron block would add.

The pistons are also constructed from aluminum to keep the rotating mass down to keep the engine running efficiently. The lower crank case is extended downward to provide further stiffness and strengthening the block.

The fuel system is all new and has the highest rail pressure compared to any of the other diesels in the segment, at 2,500 bar (36,350 psi) it allows for improved atomization of the fuel in the cylinders.

This allows the LM2 to have a much higher power density than the other engines within the segment. The injection system allows up to 10 injections per cycle, this will improve the combustion process resulting in a quieter operating system.

The intake system utilizes a dual intake runner manifold set up allowing them to use a swirl valve to change the length of the intake runner improving swirl effect throughout the entire RPM range, the swirl effect will allow for more efficient combustion within the cylinders.

To supply the air to the engine a Honeywell turbocharger makes 29 PSI of boost, this turbo utilizes electronically controlled vanes, and ball bearing technology to provide a quick spool up off the line.

Overall GM seems to have put a lot of money, time, and effort into making a reliable and stout engine that will be more efficient and more powerful than the competition.

Power and Torque:
277 HP at 3750 RPM
460 lb-ft at 1500 RPM
Attached Images

poosniffer and DirtEmax-USMC like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:59 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Anyone physically see, touch, and smell one yet? I mean, other than YouTube.

Gerry

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW CCSB 4X4 LTZ Z71
LML, 6 Spd Allison, 2nd owner and my First diesel ever, B&W Turnoverball Goose Neck,
Pace Edwards BedLocker Tonneau Cover, Sulastic Shackles, Tinted Windows, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar(TheBigWig),
Airlift Ultimate 5000 Airbags with Wireless Air, Fass Titanium 150GPH Lift Pump, AVS Bug/Hood Protector, Autocal, Edge Insight CS2

Soon to get: maybe more tint, Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, LED Lightbar or Flood Lights, Train or Air Horn
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
There are 2 at a nearby Dealer here....so I could touch and feel, if I wanted.

https://www.hennachevyaustin.com/veh...PWCET0LG138655

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:29 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather2u View Post
Anyone physically see, touch, and smell one yet? I mean, other than YouTube.
Couple on lots.

A Denali with one passed me on the freeway the other day.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I guess its still making its way to the west coast

Gerry

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW CCSB 4X4 LTZ Z71
LML, 6 Spd Allison, 2nd owner and my First diesel ever, B&W Turnoverball Goose Neck,
Pace Edwards BedLocker Tonneau Cover, Sulastic Shackles, Tinted Windows, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar(TheBigWig),
Airlift Ultimate 5000 Airbags with Wireless Air, Fass Titanium 150GPH Lift Pump, AVS Bug/Hood Protector, Autocal, Edge Insight CS2

Soon to get: maybe more tint, Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, LED Lightbar or Flood Lights, Train or Air Horn
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:38 AM

Garage
Wilhelm Chev, Buick, GMC in Jamestown, ND has one in AT4 with $12,000+ discount. $66,000 list and $53,000+ selling price.

2019 GMC Denali 3500 Crew Cab, single wheel, standard bed, Onyx black, black leather, Duramax Plus, Fast Idle, Grille Cover, Cab Marker Lights, Off-Road, Floor Liners, Mud Flaps, Gooseneck Prep.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:42 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
Wilhelm Chev, Buick, GMC in Jamestown, ND has one in AT4 with $12,000+ discount. $66,000 list and $53,000+ selling price.
I am really considering one of these but at $66K msrp...OUCH!!!

2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum Crewmax
SOLD:2008 LMM Silverado 2500 LTZ ECSB 4X4.
Aftermarket DSP5 calibration by Danville Performance, Blocked and re-routed, Nicktane with Baldwin BF7587, PPE lift pump with Baldwin BF1212 water separator, 285/75/17 Dura Grapplers on H2s, CTS Insight with pyro.HIDs in fogs and high beams.

Proud Member U/A Local 693 Plumbers/Pipefitters.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poosniffer View Post
I am really considering one of these but at $66K msrp...OUCH!!!
That one is now sold. They have a Denali with the little diesel, but the discount is much less.

2019 GMC Denali 3500 Crew Cab, single wheel, standard bed, Onyx black, black leather, Duramax Plus, Fast Idle, Grille Cover, Cab Marker Lights, Off-Road, Floor Liners, Mud Flaps, Gooseneck Prep.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 05:05 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I got one this weekend, the 2.8 Colorado is gone. Its nice being back in a full size.

Harry
Silverado 2500hd 2002
Colorado 2017
Silverado 1500 2020
Hampton Roads, VA
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:52 PM

That’s what they said about the 2.8 duramax and has not been my experience. Numerous blown sensors, particulate filter issues, and now a ridiculous turbo issue. Wastegate rod fell off, cannot be replaced without buying the entire turbo. Like getting a flat and having to buy new truck. I’d look at RAM as it generates more torque , close on mileage and way higher towing weights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode