2020 L5P Denali Steering Wheel Shake / Wobble - Page 10 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2020+ topics not related to powertrain

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta1 View Post
Truck back from a front end alignment (seriously out of spec from the factory) and another 4-wheel balance and road force. Guess what? Shimmy is still there - no better, no worse. At least it doesn't pull to the right now.

Dealer has agreed to take another look at it, and investigate if GM will replace the tires. He claims every single 2020 3500HD they have sold has the same issue, and GM tells them they are "investigating"...

The software update did nothing, and all the other steps haven't, either. Beginning to wonder if this is a design flaw, and if I shouldn't think about a buyback at 1,400 miles before I lose anymore money.

GM Customer Service has no answers and refuses to transfer me to anyone in GMC TAC to discuss the issue. Seems hopeless now. Pretty bad for an $80K truck. Can't wait for that GM satisfaction survey to pop up.
New tires will likely fix it for a while and then it will come back as long as they keep putting the crap Good Year tires back on it. I warrantied 3 tires on mine and when I found a huge bubble in the side wall after towing my big trailer, I bought a set of Michelins and all is good. The PS calibration did help the very slight steering wheel shake that happened on some smooth roads, but the tires were 99% of the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I used to work at a french fry factory. There were two product lines. The main line made a variety of products for various brands including the factory's own brand. The company had a reputation for the highest quality fries available and they were nearly flawless.

The other line made fries for McDonalds exclusively. The Mac line, as it was called, made a lesser grade of product but boy did they come out of the end of the oven. Once the conveyor belt from the oven to the freezer stopped and in the few seconds it took to shut down the line there were fries piled up to the wall 30 feet away, 20 feet wide and 8 feet deep. That's not to mention the two or three tons still in the oven getting really well cooked.

I bring this up because I wonder if Goodyear does the same thing with OEM tires? Perhaps the place where the tires are made for GM is special in that they concentrate on getting product out the door but less so on the quality of that product. I know that Goodyear has a decent reputation in the aftermarket but these OEM tires seem to be very problematic.

Last edited by mizterwizard; 12-04-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #93 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Im having the exact same issue with mine. Had tires rotated, balanced, aligned, road force balanced and while it is better there are still issues between 60-80 mph. I only have 1500 miles on it. So frustrating for an $80k truck. Back to the dealer again next week. This is my third Denali HD in 8 years and by far the most problematic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 12:29 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaliHD1972 View Post
Im having the exact same issue with mine. Had tires rotated, balanced, aligned, road force balanced and while it is better there are still issues between 60-80 mph. I only have 1500 miles on it. So frustrating for an $80k truck. Back to the dealer again next week. This is my third Denali HD in 8 years and by far the most problematic
It is extremely frustrating that GM is saying their "fix" works. Because it does not. I would advise you to call GM and immediately ask that your case be assigned to the Executive Customer satisfaction team. After I finally got a hold of someone that has some actual ability to cause things to happen, TAC was directed to work with the dealer to get some resolution to these issues.

I have 1600 miles on mine, bought at the end of October. It's now on its fourth visit to a dealer, and it has been out of commission 17 days out of the 41 that I've owned it. I've also made it clear this is the last chance for a repair, and if unsuccessful they need to write a check for what I paid for it and I'll go away. GM seems to actually be entertaining that proposal. I haven't even put plates on it yet, and won't until this gets resolved.
post #95 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Truck back from the 4th visit at the dealer to correct the shimmy issues I'm having. Long story short, GM has notified the dealer that this is a "normal operating condition" and it will not pay for further warranty work on this problem. You read that right - GM is now saying that steering wheel shimmy is a feature, and not a defect.

It must be a widespread problem, as I drove 4 brand new trucks on the lot, and all of them had the same issue, one was better, the other three were worse.

What this really means is GM has no fix for the problem and they are trying to wash their hands of it. In all fairness the customer relations person I have been working with has been great at coordinating the dealer, field engineers and TAC to find a resolution. In the end though, TAC has indicated there is nothing else that can be done.

I recommend that everyone that has this problem call GM at 800-462-8782 and ask for the case to immediately be escalated to the Executive Customer Relations team. Don't take no for an answer. Also, since this problem seems not to matter to GM, report the issue to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ as a safety concern.

I can't express how disappointed I am with GMs response to this.
mizterwizard likes this.
post #96 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:16 AM

wow.... I think I've posted this numerous times. Get rid of the Goodyear crap tires and be done with it! Spend 80k on a truck and fret about 600-800 worth of tires.

2020 GMC Denali HD 3500 SRW Quicksilver

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
post #97 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 01:24 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta1 View Post
Truck back from the 4th visit at the dealer to correct the shimmy issues I'm having. Long story short, GM has notified the dealer that this is a "normal operating condition" and it will not pay for further warranty work on this problem. You read that right - GM is now saying that steering wheel shimmy is a feature, and not a defect.

It must be a widespread problem, as I drove 4 brand new trucks on the lot, and all of them had the same issue, one was better, the other three were worse.

What this really means is GM has no fix for the problem and they are trying to wash their hands of it. In all fairness the customer relations person I have been working with has been great at coordinating the dealer, field engineers and TAC to find a resolution. In the end though, TAC has indicated there is nothing else that can be done.

I recommend that everyone that has this problem call GM at 800-462-8782 and ask for the case to immediately be escalated to the Executive Customer Relations team. Don't take no for an answer. Also, since this problem seems not to matter to GM, report the issue to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ as a safety concern.

I can't express how disappointed I am with GMs response to this.
When did you have yours done?

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #98 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:35 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGraff View Post
wow.... I think I've posted this numerous times. Get rid of the Goodyear crap tires and be done with it! Spend 80k on a truck and fret about 600-800 worth of tires.
It's not the tires. Tried a set of Michelin take-offs, no difference. It's a problem with the electronic steering system that GM has tried to fix through programing that didn't work. New tires might have worked on yours, but it's not a fix for everyone.
post #99 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:44 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
When did you have yours done?
Week of 12/9/19.

GM called again today. There is no fix for the condition they suddenly now agree is real and is widespread - almost all trucks have varying degrees of problem. Wouldn't by surprised if there is a stop sale, but I have nothing real to base that on. Seems unlikely they would keep churning them out if its a problem they can't fix though.

Looks like they are entertaining the prospect of buybacks for those customers that are affected and have unsuccessfully go through the present fixes from GM. Decision by the end of this week on mine.
post #100 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:17 PM

i have been in 3x and have a 900 mile trip starting fri to see how mine will do after last trip in . i test drove a slt duramax last week to see if it was different than mine . i drove it 10 miles and it didn't have a wobble .

2020 GMC 2500HD Carbon Black Denali- 20% tint ,Black emblems, Bakflip Mx4 cover . Banks Idash, Block8head pod

Brian- SOLD- Carbon Black Met 2009 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD SLT
EFI LIVE by Danville Performance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode