2020 L5P Denali Steering Wheel Shake / Wobble - Page 11 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2020+ topics not related to powertrain

16Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:28 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

It happens every time they introduce a new technology. The first end users are actually beta testers. I can envision GM recalling all of these truck and converting them back to non-electronic steering. As an alternative I could see them just disabling the electronics above 50 MPH or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Is it just the Denali with this problem or is it all 2500 Silverado and Sierra's that are doing this

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 2wd Crew Cab. Stock. 200 mile regen club
post #103 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
It happens every time they introduce a new technology. The first end users are actually beta testers. I can envision GM recalling all of these truck and converting them back to non-electronic steering. As an alternative I could see them just disabling the electronics above 50 MPH or something like that.
The variable assist isn't new technology and the previous generation of 2017-2019 HD trucks also had that system. It's not pure electronic. It's still a hydraulic recirculating ball gear box, but with a variable assist electronic component.

I will say the new programming did eliminate the very slight steering wheel shake that was still present after all the tire replacements, road forcing and all that crap. 90% of the shake your brains while driving vibration was the crap tires and when I went to good Michelin tires 90% of it was gone, but the slight shimmy in the wheel was the last little bit eliminated with the programming. I did notice it took a couple hundred miles of driving for the programming to fully remove the shimmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashguy207 View Post
Is it just the Denali with this problem or is it all 2500 Silverado and Sierra's that are doing this
From what I've seen, it's all 2500 HD and 3500 HD diesel trucks with the optional 20" wheels. The majority of trucks we've seen are 3500 High Country, but I have several friends with the same issue on their AT4/Denali trucks as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta1 View Post
It's not the tires. Tried a set of Michelin take-offs, no difference. It's a problem with the electronic steering system that GM has tried to fix through programing that didn't work. New tires might have worked on yours, but it's not a fix for everyone.

I drove mine home 600 miles from dealer and noticed there was a vibration which felt like balancing issues. Literally the next day I did research on the stock goodyear trailerrunner tires and yes they are a huge problem across many makes of vehicles. Went to my local tire shop, he said he didn't have any of the goodyears in stock as they were a new size etc. Switched to Michelin LTX AT2's and there is literally zero issues and im at around 6200 miles now.

2020 GMC Denali HD 3500 SRW Quicksilver

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
post #105 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 11:10 AM

With the 18 inch rims they come with Michelins and just did my first trip to Vegas and back over 300 miles and had no issues at all. I also have the heavy duty springs which I was afraid would make it ride rough and was surprised it rode just fine even over the rough road parts of Vegas freeway near downtown.
post #106 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 04:33 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman
I have two sets of wheels, when I had the new tires put on my 20 inch fuels you could not go over 60 MPH, was shaking the whole truck. Brought it back and tech said the tires have to be clocked to rims, now with those wheels on I can go to speed limiter with hand off steering

To many vehicles to little time! New LP5 owner first 2017 GMC Denali Duramax
post #107 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I have two sets of wheels, when I had the new tires put on my 20 inch fuels you could not go over 60 MPH, was shaking the whole truck. Brought it back and tech said the tires have to be clocked to rims, now with those wheels on I can go to speed limiter with hand off steering
And how do you do that?
post #108 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 05:26 PM

Hi
I have in 2020 high country 3500 with the same issue Tires rebalanced the road for us twice and a truck seems to be getting worse it’s actually going back to the dealer on Tuesday
I had a couple thousand pounds in the back of the truck last week once I reached 100 kilometres an hour The vibration got a lot worse.
post #109 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:32 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

GM Customer Care called this morning, and long story short, GM has no known repair for the steering wheel "oscillation" that seems to affect a significant number of trucks. They also reiterated that it is "normal" for the steering wheel to shake, so there is no defect to claim a buyback.

What that means is if you have had the TSB completed that is referenced in this thread, and you still have this problem, you're simply out of luck as far as GM cares. The rep even stated that GM engineering nor TAC are even working on a fix at this time.

Great. An $80K truck with a shaking steering wheel as an engineered "feature."
post #110 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:43 AM

Hi
Had the service bulletin done and recalibration of the steering it is much better actually took the tires/rims off a friend of mine's truck put them on my mind smooth as silk they were Michelin brand so I have one if not two bad tires on a new truck so I'll deal with that later but it is much better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in