2020 L5P Denali Steering Wheel Shake / Wobble - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2020+ topics not related to powertrain

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:01 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If it was my truck I wouldn't touch anything about the suspension or tires until GM had made them right. Then if I wanted to "improve" something (big tires, off road shocks, heavy duty steering linkage, etc.) I'd go ahead with that but let GM fix it first.

Suppose there is a problem with the steering gear that need a factory update but you mask it with different parts elsewhere. Then years from now you or someone else changes out what masked the problem and it comes back. But the warranty is gone. GM gets off the hook for selling a bad part(s) and you or the next guy is stuck with a potentially costly repair.

I get the idea that many of you guys who have the newest trucks aren't particularly sensitive to cost but there is an issue here of what is right too.

At least we have mrmanners to watch out for us and get us the better parts when we want them.
JimmyD, jdwarren and realhoghead like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:16 PM

Putting 17-19 shocks is not the best idea. The 2020 sit 2 inches higher so your compression and rebound travels will not be centered properly. You will really limit your front rebound travel which does not have a lot of travel to begin with.
post #23 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
If it was my truck I wouldn't touch anything about the suspension or tires until GM had made them right. Then if I wanted to "improve" something (big tires, off road shocks, heavy duty steering linkage, etc.) I'd go ahead with that but let GM fix it first.

Suppose there is a problem with the steering gear that need a factory update but you mask it with different parts elsewhere. Then years from now you or someone else changes out what masked the problem and it comes back. But the warranty is gone. GM gets off the hook for selling a bad part(s) and you or the next guy is stuck with a potentially costly repair.

I get the idea that many of you guys who have the newest trucks aren't particularly sensitive to cost but there is an issue here of what is right too.

At least we have mrmanners to watch out for us and get us the better parts when we want them.

While I don't doubt there maybe some issues out there, my truck had tire issues. The stock Goodyear Trailrunners are notorious for having balancing issues, not just on GM vehicles but many other vehicles. My vibration issue is gone since switching tires....pretty sure I didn't "mask" anything.
mizterwizard likes this.

2020 GMC Denali HD 3500 SRW Quicksilver

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

There is something that often gets blamed on balance but is actually something else. A tire can be built out of round or with a stiff spot.

Sometimes you can jack up a wheel and spin it. When you do you can see that it is not round. People actually make a contest out of making square wheels roll like they are round but that shouldn't be needed on a new truck. A tire that isn't round needs to be replaced.

A stiff spot in the tire is harder to find. It takes a special machine. Usually it is found by swapping tires around to see if a vibration moves from one place to another. That would be a good thing to try in this situation.
post #25 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:16 AM

I have a 2020 and used the factory rims and run 35x12.50-20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Had them Road Force Balanced as I have for the last 30 years and even at 85 on the way to the ranch in NM in West Texas on I20 they are smooth as glass with no shake. Have over 5k now and the factory tires were only on one day but were smooth on mine.

2020 GMC Denali 2500
post #26 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanners View Post
When you get ready for some, let me know. I will get you taken care of.
Any updates on those shocks?

2020 GMC Denali HD 3500 SRW Quicksilver

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
post #27 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 12:27 PM

Following this as well. I saw a couple guys have installed new Kings that apparently are made for the 2020s.
post #28 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtu Alum View Post
This issue has nothing to do with tires. There is a steering calibration coming to fix. Should be available in about two weeks for service.

#iworkforGM
It's a combo of both, but crap tires are definitely the majority of the concern. I have a early built 2020 Silverado 3500 High Country and it shook like a mofo. We've replaced two tires and spent several hours with a field engineer gathering PICO data. After a lot of road force matching tires, swapping corners and a couple new tires, mine is smooth. The field engineer mentioned they have a new calibration coming and we're going to try it on my truck when available. The construction of these GY tires has weird placement of inner ribs on the carcass of the tire. If you happen to get one that has a section with more of the ribs, it's directly related to the area that is measured with high road force. Tires with a more uniform spacing of those internal ribs don't have as high of road force.

We have 2 other High Country 3500's with similar issues. We replaced two tires on one of the trucks, road forced the crap out of the others and drove it 100 miles. One of the new tires we had just replaced tripled in road force and the truck was shaking again. That tire was replaced again and we've been good to go since.

Part of the tire issue is that Goodyear told GM their spec for road force was something like 60 lbs or less and that's what GM was using when assembling the wheels/tires at the factory. In reality these trucks require 20 or less for no shaking. I think the more recently built trucks had that part of the equation fixed at the factory, but the calibration should clean up the rest of it.

My truck now has nearly 6k miles on it and it's been good. I'm just glad because we spent a lot of time "fixing" these $78k trucks before we could even let customers test drive them.
post #29 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. Vehicle is still at the dealer. Last Friday, the service adviser called and said "GM is aware there is a problem, but they currently do not have a solution." Pretty frustrating.......
post #30 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPRDVR View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. Vehicle is still at the dealer. Last Friday, the service adviser called and said "GM is aware there is a problem, but they currently do not have a solution." Pretty frustrating.......
The solution is likely at least one tire to be replaced and the rest to be road force balanced or force matched to reduce the shit ton of road force they're likely at. I'd imagine a dealer out there has the required diagnostic equipment (PICO scope) to confirm it's a T1 vibration. Once that's confirmed, it's just time and labor from that point forward. It's not hard, it's just time consuming and they might not want to deal with it.
VPRDVR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in