2020 L5P Denali Steering Wheel Shake / Wobble - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2020+ topics not related to powertrain

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 12:54 PM

Here is a quick video I made showing the smoothness of my truck. Probably not the absolute best video, but should give you a generalized idea of what simply changing the tires did for me. Before changing tires there was almost a constant vibration or minor shaking of the steering wheel.

2020 GMC Denali HD 3500 SRW Quicksilver

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGraff View Post
I don't have any information on other wheel sizes, however I have driven multiple Super Duty trucks over the last 10 years. These new 2020 GM trucks have the same size tires as the Super Duty trucks. And as you know those super duty trucks generally come stock with the Michelin LTX AT2 tires. This wasn't rocket science on my part, I knew what tire sizes were available and I knew the Michelin tires had more than enough load rating. That being said, I'd have to disagree with the Goodyear tires having the best performance, best riding, trailering, handling, fuel economy, snow, wet, and noise. Personally there are a few Hankook, Firestone, Bridgestone, and Cooper tires I would put above Goodyear.

Regardless of what tires we all have the freedom to use, my own research has shown that the Goodyear Trailrunners have not performed well on multiple other car manufacturers. The fact of the matter is, I spent money after buying a new truck to replace tires that had vibration problems. Could I have had my local tire shop road force balance etc.? Sure, but researching the tire itself lead me to believe that it was going to be a pain to deal with. Does this mean I want everyone to abandon their Goodyear tires? No. Does this mean every Goodyear tire is going to have issues? No. But the old saying is, if it looks, sounds, and acts like a duck.... its probably a duck.
I was surprised when I was ordering my new truck that the option to "upgrade" to the Michelin tires wasn't available for 2020. After all the previous issues we've seen with the Goodyear SRA Wranglers on the 2015-2019 HD trucks, it was always a no-brainer to pay $210 more for the Michelins when ordering a truck.

I've had bad luck with Goodyear tires on Corvettes and other 1/2 ton trucks over the years so I was nervous, but hopeful they'd have it figured out now. I don't have any faith in them and I'll be spending my own money to swap them for Michelins soon. I do think the Trailrunner would have better snow/ice performance than the LTX AT2's so I might try and find a different Michelin for the winter months. That was my only complaint on the Michelins. There was little to no traction in snow and ice.
post #43 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Just made the switch to the Michelin Defender LTX tires, and I'm happy to report the truck drives a 100 times better. Still a very slight vibration or minor shake after hitting expansions cracks/bumps in the road. The dealer said once a steering system calibration service bulletin is released, it should help even more. Just my opinion, but I would say the Goodyear Wranglers are 80-90% to blame for the poor ride quality from the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 View Post
I was surprised when I was ordering my new truck that the option to "upgrade" to the Michelin tires wasn't available for 2020. After all the previous issues we've seen with the Goodyear SRA Wranglers on the 2015-2019 HD trucks, it was always a no-brainer to pay $210 more for the Michelins when ordering a truck.

I've had bad luck with Goodyear tires on Corvettes and other 1/2 ton trucks over the years so I was nervous, but hopeful they'd have it figured out now. I don't have any faith in them and I'll be spending my own money to swap them for Michelins soon. I do think the Trailrunner would have better snow/ice performance than the LTX AT2's so I might try and find a different Michelin for the winter months. That was my only complaint on the Michelins. There was little to no traction in snow and ice.
Yea the old saying of... if it aint broke, don't fix it! I have a feeling they went with Goodyear and not Michelins is because Ford already has them in the exact size for their Super Duty trucks. So probably a deal of some sort with Michelin/Ford and/or just a supply issue.

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
post #45 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPRDVR View Post
Just made the switch to the Michelin Defender LTX tires, and I'm happy to report the truck drives a 100 times better. Still a very slight vibration or minor shake after hitting expansions cracks/bumps in the road. The dealer said once a steering system calibration service bulletin is released, it should help even more. Just my opinion, but I would say the Goodyear Wranglers are 80-90% to blame for the poor ride quality from the factory.
I've heard great things about those Defenders, we don't see much snow around here but we do go offroad a fair amount and the AT2's seem to do very well in that area.

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
post #46 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 07:15 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I am generally anti-French because I find the French to be fair weather friends and arrogant. However, when it comes to women and tires the French have it figured out. That's just my opinion but it is the only one I have.

By the way, Martinique is the only place where I have been that I have actually dealt with Frenchies on a personal basis and on Martinique I didn't find any arrogance at all. I guess I could be wrong about the French, but not about their women and tires.
post #47 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 07:20 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I'd just like to thank all of you first adopters for going through this teething period with the new trucks so that those of us who have a little more patience (or a lot less money!) can benefit from your experiences.
post #48 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 04:12 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman
I put 20 inchers on for the summer on fuel wheels had terrible shake from 40 on! went back and they found out tires were not clocked on rim correctly! now up to the max truck will go doesn't vibrate a bit!

To many vehicles to little time! New LP5 owner first 2017 GMC Denali Duramax
post #49 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:13 PM

Took my 2020 At4 2500 with a 1k miles in today for the steering wheel shakes. They had to order 4 new tires since the road force was to high on all of them. I have a feeling they aren't going to fix the problem with the same tire. Fingers crossed.
post #50 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ duramax View Post
Took my 2020 At4 2500 with a 1k miles in today for the steering wheel shakes. They had to order 4 new tires since the road force was to high on all of them. I have a feeling they aren't going to fix the problem with the same tire. Fingers crossed.
If they measure the road force as being excessive and they can't flip them on the rim and reduce then you're likely going to fix it with new tires. The bad part is that I've already had to replace two additional tires on mine. One was an original tire that developed more road force with miles and the other developed a big bulge on the sidewall that wasn't normal. GM Brand Quality wanted those tires back for evaluation.

After all the issues I had with the junk Goodyear tires, I switched them out for LT285/65/20 Michelin Defender tires and the truck now rides smooth. Around 80 MPH on perfectly smooth roads there is the slightest amount of steering wheel shake, but the new programming should eliminate that.

All I know is that I'm now convinced the only good tire that Goodyear produces is the G614 RST trailer tires. I've ran those for years on my triple axle car hauler and they've been flawless.
600+ duramax likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode