2020 L5P Denali Steering Wheel Shake / Wobble - Page 9 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2020+ topics not related to powertrain

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:39 PM

I have a 2020 GMC 2500HD Denali with wheel shake / shimmy at 50-80 MPH. It's even worse pulling a trailer, makes the truck feel unstable.
After reading this forum, I took the truck back to the dealer and they said "oh, your tires were slightly unbalanced" so I drove it off the lot and to no avail the same wheel shake, no change.

I then convinced myself I needed new wheels and tires, so I ordered some aftermarket 20" wheels with highly-rated Nitto Terra Grappler G2s with the exact same tire size 275/65R20 (so I could keep the same tire load rating) AND TO NO AVAIL, no change. Still have the shakes.

In my experience, this is obviously not a wheel or tire problem it is a software or hardware problem. The 2020 Denali's steering is "easier" to turn than previous years and feels more like an Escalade so my theory is that they borrowed some steer assist system from the Escalade but it has bugs to work out. There is no way they tested this truck for a year and the techs didn't notice it, unless perhaps the trucks they tested didn't have the steering assist so they never noticed.

Either way for a 80k truck, it should damn near drive itself much less have wheel shake. Go buy a 80k BMW or Mercedes, it will drive it self and while balancing a dime on the wheel. Hopefully GM gets this figured out soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:45 PM

I did find Bulletin #19-NA-240 which is suppose to address this problem.

Has anyone had this bulletin performed on their truck? Did it fix it?
post #83 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:56 PM

i took mine last week , i have driven only 130 miles but seemed to take care of most - i thought i may of felt a small wobble a couple of times but nothing as bad as before

2020 GMC 2500HD Carbon Black Denali- 20% tint ,Black emblems, Bakflip Mx4 cover . Banks Idash, Block8head pod

Brian- SOLD- Carbon Black Met 2009 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD SLT
EFI LIVE by Danville Performance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn View Post
I have a 2020 GMC 2500HD Denali with wheel shake / shimmy at 50-80 MPH. It's even worse pulling a trailer, makes the truck feel unstable.
After reading this forum, I took the truck back to the dealer and they said "oh, your tires were slightly unbalanced" so I drove it off the lot and to no avail the same wheel shake, no change.

I then convinced myself I needed new wheels and tires, so I ordered some aftermarket 20" wheels with highly-rated Nitto Terra Grappler G2s with the exact same tire size 275/65R20 (so I could keep the same tire load rating) AND TO NO AVAIL, no change. Still have the shakes.

In my experience, this is obviously not a wheel or tire problem it is a software or hardware problem. The 2020 Denali's steering is "easier" to turn than previous years and feels more like an Escalade so my theory is that they borrowed some steer assist system from the Escalade but it has bugs to work out. There is no way they tested this truck for a year and the techs didn't notice it, unless perhaps the trucks they tested didn't have the steering assist so they never noticed.

Either way for a 80k truck, it should damn near drive itself much less have wheel shake. Go buy a 80k BMW or Mercedes, it will drive it self and while balancing a dime on the wheel. Hopefully GM gets this figured out soon.
Did your dealer update the steering calibration or just balance tires?
post #85 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 08:26 PM

My truck has the shakes bad! Took it to the dealer (who is pretty incompetent) with a copy of the TechLink article. They claim they did all the tests, and then updated the steering software. Made absolutely no difference at all.

One of the front tires had a very bad belt bulge in the sidewall. Dealer said that had no bearing on the problem, and that they "don't do tire issues." So had to pay Discount Tire to mount and balance a replacement, although Goodyear did warranty the tire. Still no difference.

Going to a different dealer about 60 miles away who claims they have fixed several - with a realignment. I have noticed my truck does pull slightly to the right and the steering wheel isn't level. Appointment is for Monday. I really hope this fixes the shaking. I don't expect to pay $80K for a truck that came from the factory with this defect, and for which the supposed fix did nothing to change the problem...
post #86 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta1 View Post
My truck has the shakes bad! Took it to the dealer (who is pretty incompetent) with a copy of the TechLink article. They claim they did all the tests, and then updated the steering software. Made absolutely no difference at all.

One of the front tires had a very bad belt bulge in the sidewall. Dealer said that had no bearing on the problem, and that they "don't do tire issues." So had to pay Discount Tire to mount and balance a replacement, although Goodyear did warranty the tire. Still no difference.

Going to a different dealer about 60 miles away who claims they have fixed several - with a realignment. I have noticed my truck does pull slightly to the right and the steering wheel isn't level. Appointment is for Monday. I really hope this fixes the shaking. I don't expect to pay $80K for a truck that came from the factory with this defect, and for which the supposed fix did nothing to change the problem...
Yeah I wonder if some of these issues are strike related. Mine was made in July so I'm good. Mine had a decent shake when I bought it, it was visible at 70 when I took my hand off the steering wheel. It actually got better over time. I took it in yesterday at 2,800 miles and there did the update and a load balance. They also did a recall for the def gauge, the seat belt actuator, and ordered me a front winter grill for free.

My local dealer I'm not the most fond of. And the people they had drive it around romped on it the whole time (you'd think they know the app can read that). But other than that, I'm happy.
post #87 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

One other thing I tried after getting the tires balanced from an independent (non-dealer) tire shop is I drove it around on the highway in 4 wheel drive (4 high obviously) for about 10 miles. Not sure how that could have helped, but it drives really good now. So not sure if that did the trick, or the .75 ounce sticky weights the tire shop added to the RF wheel.....maybe a combination of the 2. Mine drives great now and I’ve yet to do the steering calibration. I’m almost afraid to as it might screw it up again.

2020 Black Denali HD

- Michelin Defender LTX
- Retrax Pro MX
post #88 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman
I know if the tires are not clocked on rims right no amount of balancing will fix it! happened to me!

To many vehicles to little time! New LP5 owner first 2017 GMC Denali Duramax
post #89 of 91 (permalink) Old Today, 03:34 PM

Truck back from a front end alignment (seriously out of spec from the factory) and another 4-wheel balance and road force. Guess what? Shimmy is still there - no better, no worse. At least it doesn't pull to the right now.

Dealer has agreed to take another look at it, and investigate if GM will replace the tires. He claims every single 2020 3500HD they have sold has the same issue, and GM tells them they are "investigating"...

The software update did nothing, and all the other steps haven't, either. Beginning to wonder if this is a design flaw, and if I shouldn't think about a buyback at 1,400 miles before I lose anymore money.

GM Customer Service has no answers and refuses to transfer me to anyone in GMC TAC to discuss the issue. Seems hopeless now. Pretty bad for an $80K truck. Can't wait for that GM satisfaction survey to pop up.
post #90 of 91 (permalink) Old Today, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta1 View Post
Truck back from a front end alignment (seriously out of spec from the factory) and another 4-wheel balance and road force. Guess what? Shimmy is still there - no better, no worse. At least it doesn't pull to the right now.

Dealer has agreed to take another look at it, and investigate if GM will replace the tires. He claims every single 2020 3500HD they have sold has the same issue, and GM tells them they are "investigating"...

The software update did nothing, and all the other steps haven't, either. Beginning to wonder if this is a design flaw, and if I shouldn't think about a buyback at 1,400 miles before I lose anymore money.

GM Customer Service has no answers and refuses to transfer me to anyone in GMC TAC to discuss the issue. Seems hopeless now. Pretty bad for an $80K truck. Can't wait for that GM satisfaction survey to pop up.
New tires will likely fix it for a while and then it will come back as long as they keep putting the crap Good Year tires back on it. I warrantied 3 tires on mine and when I found a huge bubble in the side wall after towing my big trailer, I bought a set of Michelins and all is good. The PS calibration did help the very slight steering wheel shake that happened on some smooth roads, but the tires were 99% of the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode