2020 L5P Denali Steering Wheel Shake / Wobble - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2020+ topics not related to powertrain

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

2020 L5P Denali Steering Wheel Shake / Wobble

Hello all! I bought a 2020 Denali L5P a few weeks ago. I've put 350-400 miles on it and it drives like crap. At highway speeds (65-80) the steering wheel shakes back and forth/vibrates. The first time I took it back to the dealer they put 2 new tires on it and road force balanced all of them. Picked it up, but the ride was just as poor, if not worse. Brought it back to the dealer today and test drove 2 other new Denali L5Ps they had on the lot, and they drove just as bad and had the same steering wheel wobble.

The dealer just called after having it for a few hours and said "this is a known issue to GM and they don't currently have a solution". Has any other new 2020 owners experienced similar problems or have any solutions? I'm hoping its just the crappy stock Goodyear Wrangler trailrunner's that these trucks are coming with???
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 PM

Garage
Junk GoodYears, combined with tech's who more often than not not very good at balancing.
JMHO

2020 Sierra AT4 3500 Duramax
2018 Denali 2500HD L5P Derringer equipped
2018 Montana 3811MS Legacy 16400#2900pin
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 PM

I test drove a 2020 Chevy LTZ about 10 miles a few weeks ago. It drove and rode great but I never looked to see what kind of tires it had.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 PM

Hope it works out for you because that is a really good looking truck. I think powerhaulic is right.

2019 GMC 2500HD
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:13 PM

As I said in the PM, the Goodyear tires are the main source of the vibrations. The Goodyear Trailrunners are notorious for vibration/balancing problems across many other brands of vehicles that use them as OEM.

2020 GMC Denali HD 3500 SRW Quicksilver

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:46 PM

This issue has nothing to do with tires. There is a steering calibration coming to fix. Should be available in about two weeks for service.

#iworkforGM
hobbes442 likes this.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtu Alum View Post
This issue has nothing to do with tires. There is a steering calibration coming to fix. Should be available in about two weeks for service.

#iworkforGM

With the strike going this fix will be available in two weeks? Is it just a engineering fix or a parts fix?
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Just test drove one last week and it was an awesome drive/ride, couldn't get the grin off my face with the new ride & transmission making the new truck throttle response feel more like the 2006 lbz I had but with all the amenities of the new ride and quiet cab and features... Truly an enjoyable experience, now I'm trying to figure out if it is worth cashing in some investments and buying it outright rather than financing the difference between the 2017 3500 SRW Denali and the new one. No GM incentives yet and no low interest rates...........at least here in Canada.

2015 Chevrolet LTZ, KD Spy wheels, BAK rolling hard tonneau, Nav, heated/cooled seats, chrome pkg, leather, sun/moon roof, driver assist, adjustable pedals.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I have an AT4 and it does not shake at all.... drives and rides excellent at all speeds and with or without a load or trailer

2020 GMC AT4 HD, Crew Cab 4x4. Fuel Assault 18x9 +20 offset, LT35x12.5R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:27 AM
DF Sponsors

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
I have about 3k on my 2020 now and I have noticed a small vibration. I took my rims and tires off my LML when I traded it in so I am taking it in on Friday to have them rotate and balance again plus do Fox shocks, Sulastic Shackles and a steering stabilizer to see if that corrects it for me. Again, mine was very mild and the ride overall has been great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode