Supplemental cabin heater - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2020+ (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2020+ topics not related to powertrain

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Supplemental cabin heater

Am I correct in remembering the new trucks come with a cabin heater like what is standard on the Rams and optional on Fords?

No idea where I heard or read that, or if I even did, but can't find it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:06 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I recall seeing a notation of it as an option.....made me think back to old '60s land cruisers.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
I recall seeing a notation of it as an option.....made me think back to old '60s land cruisers.
I had a 69 and later a 72 FJ40 LCs. I had forgotten all about that heater til you mentioned it.

Those were some really good rock crawlers.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:41 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
This one came from the Bahama's......wheel on the wrong side, 3-on the column, etc.
Metal everywhere, inside and out, T handle hood fasteners, I-6 gas....would climb up a wall with only bald tires. Top speed wasn't much more than 50, uncomfortable as heck...tool box under the pass side seat was neat.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:25 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
This one came from the Bahama's......wheel on the wrong side, 3-on the column, etc.
Metal everywhere, inside and out, T handle hood fasteners, I-6 gas....would climb up a wall with only bald tires. Top speed wasn't much more than 50, uncomfortable as heck...tool box under the pass side seat was neat.
My 69 was "Three on the Tree" too. That 6 was such a close copy of an old Chevy 235 that you could use the better Chevy valves if you did a valve job.

Converted mine to a floor shift in conjunction with dropping a 327 in it. Didn't speed it up on the top end any but it was really a beast!

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 01-18-2020 at 02:29 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Well that derailed haha
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:20 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Ya know, now that I think about it, it may have been on the new Medium Dutys as an option.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:17 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick112288 View Post
Am I correct in remembering the new trucks come with a cabin heater like what is standard on the Rams and optional on Fords?

No idea where I heard or read that, or if I even did, but can't find it now.

I don't recall it being mentioned on a thread.

I've been looking hard at the order guide, the design/build site, reviews, vids etc, trying to determine if I should update and I've seen no mention of an optional heater.

I do recall a thread discussing how long a GM can be left idling. Someone was wanting to keep it warm for a pet or something -- and reported being unhappy that the truck would auto-shutdown. (don't recall if it as a gas or diesel, or 15 or 25/35 -- but it was a pickup rather than a car or medium duty)

If it's a must have, perhaps a Wabasso or some other aftermarket system. Cabin heat or cabin + coolant heat systems available. Common in heavy truck applications.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY

Last edited by redwngr; 01-19-2020 at 07:19 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:07 PM

All Duramax equipped HD trucks do have an electronic heating element that helps provide warmer air from the vents more quickly. Here is the description from GM...

Auxiliary Electric Heater

Vehicles equipped with a diesel engine come with an auxiliary electric heater. This 12V electrically powered heating element is positioned directly behind the regular coolant flow based heater core in the HVAC case. All airflow goes through the regular heater core first, and then through the auxiliary electric heater. The auxiliary electric heater is active when the outside ambient temperature is below 8C (46F) , the coolant temperature is below 75C (167F), and the temperature air mix door is near the full hot position.
redwngr and Tom Anderson like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 03:19 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 View Post
All Duramax equipped HD trucks do have an electronic heating element that helps provide warmer air from the vents more quickly. Here is the description from GM...

Auxiliary Electric Heater

Vehicles equipped with a diesel engine come with an auxiliary electric heater. This 12V electrically powered heating element is positioned directly behind the regular coolant flow based heater core in the HVAC case. All airflow goes through the regular heater core first, and then through the auxiliary electric heater. The auxiliary electric heater is active when the outside ambient temperature is below 8C (46F) , the coolant temperature is below 75C (167F), and the temperature air mix door is near the full hot position.
Thanks!

Certainly makes sense, but I'd not heard this before.
Not auxiliary in the sense of operator controlled, or an add-on to be selected at order -- but works in addition to the coolant system.

No wonder the windows clear as soon as they do.

Is the info from somewhere in the upfitter docs or perhaps the service manual?

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY

Last edited by redwngr; 01-20-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode