Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2020 gmc 2500hd at4

40K views 129 replies 39 participants last post by  Vertigo 
#1 ·
Well it is official. I got the call from my dealer (Dennis Dillion) today that my truck has started production as of yesterday. This week was the target production week and they are apparently on schedule. He said it should take 9-14 days for production and then about 3 weeks from factory to their dealership. I should be able to take possession by August 15th at the latest.

It is a good thing too. My 2007 Vortex Max gasser is getting tired and tired quickly. Last weekend I could barely pull my trailer 35mph over a 6% grade with the trailer empty as possible. My temperature started to climb half way up the hill to a point that I decided to pull over at a turnout and let it idle and bring the temp back down before I decided to start up again. 35mph in second gear and about 3400 RPM and I was praying that she didn't blow. This weekend I'm being lent an 2017 F350 powerstroke to take my trailer up and leave it for the rest of the summer.

To say I am excited for this new truck is an understatement. I've been eyeing a Duramax for about 6 years now but was never in the position to pull the trigger on one. I looked at many 2019s but ultimately love the new look of the AT4 and figure I want to drive this truck 15 years or more so I might as well get one that I love the look of. I figure if I can make a gasser last 12 years and 180,000 miles then 15 should be no issue with a diesel. A little worried to be buying a first gen transmission but I'm betting/hoping that Allison wouldn't let their name be on it if it wasn't of their high quality. Enough of my rambling:laugh:, here are some specs:
2500 HD AT4 in Carbon Black Metallic
Driver Alert package 1 & 2
AT4 preferred package
AT4 Premium package
Sunroof (didn't want one but they already had the order in and allowed me to put my name on it so I guess I'll live with it)
Standard box
Technology package

It is going to be a huge upgrade. I will actually be able to load my toyhauler completely full of water, fuel and toys and head for the hills without worrying about getting there.

Sorry, had to share my excitement. And if my wife hears about my truck one more time she might smack me :laugh:

See less See more
#49 ·
This discussion is the standard 'gotcha' with GM window stickers -- and by extension, the spec lists that the dealers put up on their sites.

GM has always (well at least in recent history) used the LHS to list the standard equipment for the trim level of the vehicle.

Which, of course, includes the standard powertrain.

The RHS will list the optional equipment.
Like the duramax/allision, convenience packages, audio packages etc.

It's necessary to go past the 'standard features' in the specs and reviw the options, to see if the desired equipment has been added.
Unfortunately, for all that to work, it's also necessary to know what is included in the trim level -- or read the 'standard' for the level and then the options added.

Reactions: sambor
#50 ·
Wade66 listen to silentfun65 and redwngr they are both correct and you are mistaken it is easy to get confused on what equipment these trucks have on them the gas engine is standard on all these trucks you ha e to look under optional equipment to see if it has a diesel engine diesels are not standard equipment

#51 ·
My local dealer got its first 2020 HD truck in today, salesman is a someone I know and called me for a look. It was a loaded AT4 MSRP 77,800. I told them to give me some numbers, let's just say that there is a reason I don't buy trucks locally lol.

#52 ·
Received a call from my salesman today. There were notified that my truck is on a semi and scheduled to leave Salt Lake City in the morning. He said it would take 3 days to get here which seems crazy since its only a 6 hour drive at most. In any case, looking good for August 1st. The accessory guy called me the other day and one of the things they offered was splash guards. I couldn't believe that splash guards weren't standard on an "All Terrain" truck. Oh well, a small thing in the grand scheme of things. Getting very excited to drive my new truck!

#56 ·
Oh I will for sure. Taking it on a 7 hour road trip to north Idaho next weekend to put some miles on it on the curvy mountain highways. Figure that will be a natural way to vary the throttle and get the first 500 miles or so on it. and also test the new transmission.

#57 ·
I was able to take possession of my truck today. Man this thing is sweet. The Carbon Black is an awesome color and I’m glad I decided on it. I only drove it maybe 5 miles tonight from the dealership. It shifted very smoothly and I was surprised at how quiet it was. This thing is massive! Coming from a 12 year old half ton to this is a huge change. I drove more cautiously tonight than ever in my life. Not a whole lot to report other than I think I’m going to love it. I will be getting the front passenger windows tinted and perhaps getting the back windows slightly darker. Otherwise I’m not touching it. Headed up to North Idaho this weekend to take a road trip to get those first 500 miles out of the way. I’ll report back after I’ve driven it for awhile on how the transmission acts and feels.

Attachments

#61 ·
Thanks guys! Ask away :) Lord knows I've asked plenty of questions in the last 9 months on this forum.

I decided to take it for a midnight run last night. Couldn't sleep so figured why not go take it for a drive. All I can say is wow. Again I'm comparing it to a 12 year old gasser but it is amazing. I never went over 3/4 throttle and the power is still impressive. The transmission is very quick to react and seems to find the right gear right off the bat. When accelerating at a smooth moderate pace, you don't even feel it shifting. I know a lot of knocks GMC receives is the fact that the infotainment system is the same old one they have had for many years. I will say that it seems fast to react to touch. I would put it on par with my wife's Sync 3. It has everything I would want on it and I like having the knobs to quickly adjust temperature, fan, etc. I'm in my early 30s and I would say this has plenty of tech to keep me satisfied.

#62 ·
Congrats on the new ride!

Since you took it for a midnight run, what is your opinion on the new headlights?

Now change your signature to remove the "future owner". :grin2:

#64 ·
Headlights are great! I don't know how the oncoming traffic feels about them but they light up the road really well. They project forward great but also to the sides as well which will be nice for night driving and keeping an eye out for wildlife. This was the first time I've ever used the intellibeam which was pretty slick. So far I'm in love. If I have one complaint so far it is cosmetic on the orange lights above the wheels. They do not "fit" in well with the rest of the truck. I may smoke them in the near future.

And yes, I need to fix that signature :)

#65 ·
I do have the rear camera mirror. In the daylight it works very well. I believe it has a larger field of view than the normal mirror does. Maybe a bit of fishe eye effect, not sure. There is no lag from it and it hasn't buffered at all on me. (same goes for all of the cameras) The image is very clear. At night it is almost useless. Very grainy due to the lack of light and I'm assuming a high ISO. I suppose if you had your back seat loaded to where you couldn't see out it would be better than nothing. I will be getting a tonneau cover that folds up and will cover my line of sight when it is folded all the way up. When that is the case it will be very nice to be able to use the camera.

#66 ·
If anyone is in need of someone to help them on a purchase, here is Cesar’s card. He was a great help to me. He first started helping me back in September of 2018 when I first heard about the 1/2 ton AT4. At the time I was ready to pull the trigger and he was ready to get me in one in the first Satin Steel that they got in. Well the tow numbers came out and my wife and I decided I needed to go to a HD diesel. Cesar was completely cool when I told him I needed to wait to pay off my wife’s car and save up some more money due to the added expense of the Duramax. He never pressured me or gave up on me. Good dude if anyone needs someone to help them.

Attachments

#69 ·
Yeah I have the technology package in there. They gave me a bag with four tire pressure sensors for the trailer. Nothing in the way of wiring though. In the same bag was the special cord and plug for the new engine heater and the winter cover for the grill.

#70 ·
Is the engine heater not able to work because the recall that happened for the l5p. I think I saw somewhere that is was not able to be function yet for 2020.

Can't wait to see what you think of the trailer camera stuff. That's one of the main things that I would like to get when I order one in a few years. Have a 17. And was looking at getting a 2020. Then the wife saw the new corvette debut online. ( She wants)[emoji2957]. So my funds are spoken for already by her.

#71 ·
Is the engine heater not able to work because the recall that happened for the l5p. I think I saw somewhere that is was not able to be function yet for 2020.

Can't wait to see what you think of the trailer camera stuff. That's one of the main things that I would like to get when I order one in a few years. Have a 17. And was looking at getting a 2020. Then the wife saw the new corvette debut online. ( She wants)[emoji2957]. So my funds are spoken for already by her.
Is having a C8 good or bad??

#74 ·
Below are a couple pictures of some things I find interesting. The first one shows the digital gauges. I find it interesting that my oil pressure is typically right around 30psi unless under acceleration. I haven't had the truck above 60 mph yet so so I don't know if that oil pressure will go up at freeway speeds or what. The other thing that is interesting is the temperature. This picture was taken after about a 30 minute commute home which I would think would be plenty long for it to come up to temperature when its 95 degrees out. Since this is my first duramax, I'm not sure if the temperature and pressure numbers are normal or below normal. I just figured I'd see the oil pressure in the middle at 60psi and the temp right in the middle at 210 like on my gasser.

And the 2nd picture is just to show the HUD. I really like the HUD especially when using navigation. The speed limit feature is also nice although I can't seem to follow it in this truck.

Attachments

#82 ·
Please tell me there's an actual DEF gauge/meter somewhere. If not a dedicated one on the dashboard then something in the DIC that tells the actual level and not just "OK." Please!

#75 ·
The oil pressure is about the same in my '18
The water temp according to my Derringer is about where yours is, but on the dash was 210.
I'm thinking the gauges may be more true on the new truck.
HUD looks good.
Happy you are liking the new rig, mine should be on the line this week.

Reactions: Black HD
#76 ·
you are getting really close then! I am really like this new truck. Quite the change and hopeful it lasts me 15 years or more.

Going to take it out on its first road trip this weekend to Coeur d'Alene. We are taking the scenic route to get up there so most of the driving will be done on somewhat curvy roads at 55-60 mph. Looking forward to spending a few hours behind the wheel and will report some impressions when we get back.

#78 ·
Super excited and maybe a tad bit jealous! ;)

-Mark

#79 ·
Ok since you asked 🙂 here are a few more. Dropped it off at the tint shop to get the windows tinted to match. Will post after pictures when I pick it up.

Attachments

#96 ·
I dont mean to nit pick or bust your bubble but the only thing that stands out to me that i am not a fan of are the markers on tops of the fender flares but who am i, I drive an 04. Great looking truck though.

#88 ·
I am sure an Andersen hitch would work just fine in the new trucks. I had a Pullrite in my 15 and bought the Andersen for the 18, love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.