6.5 wont start - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Question 6.5 wont start

my 6.5 wont start it acting like its mot getting fuel. Also the glow plugs will not cycle at all. I changed the glow plug controller and still nothing. I was just wondering if there is another relay somewere that might be burnt out?? The odd time i can get the glow plugs cycling and it works fine but now I cant get it to do anything. Any help would be great.

Thanks Devin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 07:46 PM

Look at the tail pipe while you are cranking it. Any smoke at all? Presence of smoke indicates it is getting fuel. Give it a light shot of WD or electronic parts cleaner, the flammable stuff, does it try to start? Be real careful with ether, can cause a lot more of a problem than what you have now.
Check your lift pump, believe its electric on yours, is it delivering fuel to the injection pump? They are known for failing. Fuel filter OK? No broken fuel lines for the pump to suck air? Does it run if you get the glow plugs to work?
If it is the injection pump, consider taking it to any place other then GM or Chevy. You should be able to get a rebuilt pump with a warranty for well under 1K. Someone local to yo who specializes in those pumps might be able to do a whole lot better. Be glad its a PU and not a van, a whole lot easier to get to things.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Oh...... Squirrel!

Ya what he said!

Can you get it to start at all? Like with either? What do you mean the glow plugs wont cycle? I also think its the lift pump. My 94 6.5 went and it would start when it was cold but if you got it hot you had to wait 3 hours to restart it. The lift pump is a inline pump under the drivers seat on the frame. Looks like a inline filter and easy to change.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Jason
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ CC SB
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, LED Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

no theres lots of fuel if you run the lift pump its electrical problem and looking at it more i think the computer is not working. The tail pipe doesnt smoke at all so theres no fuel but the solenoid on the injection pump i dont think is turning on. Im going to look at the ignition feeds tommorow and make sure the computer is getting power. Out of all the 6.5 that i have owned, and worked on, ive never came across a problem like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Oh...... Squirrel!

Guess you checked the injector module? How many miles are on the motor? I know this is off the wall but I heard of a guy once that drove his 6.5 home one day and parked it. Got in it to go to work and it would crank and not start. He messed with it then did a compression test. Here the truck had low compression on most of the cylinders. The rings where so bad and it was getting such bad blow by it wouldnt start.

I still got it worse than you. I broke the crank in halph on my one 6.5 a week ago

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Jason
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, LED Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Well the truck has 275,000 miles and im just going to get it into the shop to work on it but i let you know how i make out. Thanls for the advise.

Devin
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Master View Post
Ya what he said!

Can you get it to start at all? Like with either? What do you mean the glow plugs wont cycle? I also think its the lift pump. My 94 6.5 went and it would start when it was cold but if you got it hot you had to wait 3 hours to restart it. The lift pump is a inline pump under the drivers seat on the frame. Looks like a inline filter and easy to change.
This is exactly the symptoms on my 95 vandura with 6.5....

How can you verify it is the lift pump? I had the same thing, it would run cold, but die when hot, and would take time to restart. Now it does not start with any thing I do. When hot, it would start, run for a little bit, then cough and die, and not restart. I have callled GM on this pump on the rail, and they told me some vans had it some did not, and mine was one that did not have "this" pump...not sure if I maybe confusing things now, its been a while....but I need to get it running. I do not see smoke coming from the pipe when cranking.

Is there another name to this pump besides lift pump?

Thanks for any tips,

Tibor
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Oh...... Squirrel!

Another name for it is supply pump or in line pump. Mine was located along the frame right under the drivers seat. It looks like a inline fuel filter but with wires going to it I think its about $80-100 at the auto parts store. IIRC the reason I saw mine was bad is check to see if the pum got power with key on then remove the fuel filter from behind the motor and see if the canaster filled up with fuel when the key was on.

I dont theink mine had a power difference but was a painto start!

Jason
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 01:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Master View Post
Another name for it is supply pump or in line pump. Mine was located along the frame right under the drivers seat. It looks like a inline fuel filter but with wires going to it I think its about $80-100 at the auto parts store. IIRC the reason I saw mine was bad is check to see if the pum got power with key on then remove the fuel filter from behind the motor and see if the canaster filled up with fuel when the key was on.

I dont theink mine had a power difference but was a painto start!

Many Thanks for the tips....

The filter, you are referring to the main fule filter inside the round cylinder, back of motor passenger side sort of.

So, here remove filter, put housing back togehter, cycle ignition on, and if it does not fill with fuel, that is one issue?

I will check this over the weekend. Do you know of any other variations of this system, where some 6.5 did not have a lift pump on the rail driver side? Some GM parts guy was reading this to me from his computer. I have a G van.

Thanks much again for the response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode