Late 90's 6.5 engines.. junk or decent engine? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Late 90's 6.5 engines.. junk or decent engine?

junk or decent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Garage
the 6.5L engine overall is a great engine, there is a reason the are still producing it today. GM screwed up a couple things when hey put them in their trucks. biggest thing is PMD, but other stuff like stepper fuel pump and electronics. but I've seen these motors go over 500K, especially in the Marine applications. they are slow but have good torque and get pretty good fuel economy.

"real trucks don"t need spark plugs"
"yes its a crew cab long bed, i had to buy a truck that matched something else i have"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:05 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

They suck if the application is a six-ton HMMWV.

M1151 HMMWV - AM General

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:20 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
'96 and up had the better/revised module, less susceptible to under hood heat issues.

I once had one item on the injection pump that failed, local Diesel Injection shop repaired just that item on it, ran the pump on a big calibration machine they had in shop (whole room full) and reinstalled.

Listening to that machine run, you quickly realize the sounds you hear at idle are not the motor, but that pump itself.

Simple repair, 1/2 day in the shop. But the failure wasn't simple....throttle ran away on the highway, smoked out the masses, barely got over and stopped on the side of the road. Scary.

Put over 300k miles on it.
5-spd shaker....went thru several clutches (not a good mix in stop/go traffic towing).
DRW, no speed demon (but you could break traction) not much good for towing over 10k lbs...always got 15mpg....hills, flats, towing or not....15mpg.

There were some rare 1500s that had the 6.5T, with the 3.43 gears....reports of 25mpg, kept in the families for years, passed down repeatedly to the next generation....they just ran and ran...paint faded out...ugly, but they kept running.

But the best part of that truck?
The SEATS! Comfy and built for wide glide rear ends.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 06:36 AM

I’ve got a ‘99 k3500hd(yes, a K3500HD) bought it in Montana from a fire dept with 38,000 original miles three years ago and drove it 3050 miles back home to Maine. Truck weighs 10,000 and gets 16 mpg empty with the 5speed. I put a dump body on it and a plow.

I leave the pit weighing 20,000 lbs usually and like everyone says... she’s no speed demon but this truck has given me ZERO problems.

Best thing I did was installed a set of Bosch glow plugs. Started like it was summer time all winter long even in -10 degree blizzards. I did also replace the harmonic balancer bc I say the rubber was cracked and there was the slightest wobble to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode