96 Chevy 3500 6.5 Td 258k - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, been looking at this truck and I'm on the fence about it.

It has 258k on it and the owner had claimed that he replaced most of the front end, upper control arm, bushings, ball joints tie rod ends, new batteries and turn signal switch. I've verified that the batteries and turn signal switch was replaced, the rest is tbt.

The bad:

Truck seems to not have any parking lamps from front to back-could be a fuse...

The only other issue is Shift solenoid A is malfunctioning. No over drive. I've replaced solenoids and it is fixed this in the past with other trucks. My MacTool scan tool is suggesting that it could be wiring issue, another reported fix was replacing the transmission.

The truck has 258k miles but seems to be a little sluggish to start but sounds strong(possibly hasn't started in months). I can't hear the turbo but I haven't driven it yet. The last 6.5 I had it didn't have a cat or muffler so you could hear the turbo for sure.

The owner said that his wife's Burb was down so she drove it for 2 days to get to work while he fixed her truck. It sat for a couple of weeks and the next time he drove it he noticed right away that it wasn't shifting into OD.

Tires are new all around. Still have some digging into it but here's what I'm thinking. He's claiming he paid 8k for it about 15k miles later and who knows how long ago. Bought it to be a work truck but OD went out. He's asking 5k for it. I'd love to get it for 3800 and no more than 4500.

Should I walk away or am I on track. It seems to be a decent work truck. Don't want to waste this guy's time but depending what the opinions are on here would determine if I go back to look at it.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123_1_03_1568000834939.jpg (35.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 123_1_02_1568000848802.jpg (37.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 123_1_01_1568000857490.jpg (36.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 123_1_1568000864848.jpg (39.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190908-160553_1568000890014.jpg (12.2 KB, 18 views)

2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC Dmax LMM/Allison Combo 4X4 Mods: Tinted front windows 20%, Color Matched door handles,spayed in wheel liners, Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover and all Badges Emblems Removed, EFI Live, and 5" MBRP Turbo Back w/6" Tip
To Be Installed
Transgo Jr and Bigger tires!

www.huskerdiesel.com

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

Last edited by Chevanater2500hd; 09-08-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 PM

I dont know too much about the 6.5 detroits, everything I've read and heard says they're reasonably reliable but anemic in the power department. I'm obviously biased towards a duramax (go figure) but If I was in your shoes with your budget looking for a work truck I would get into an LB7 duramax before a 6.5 any day of the week. I'm not sure where you live but in my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) decent higher mileage LB7's can be had for around $4000.

2015.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali LML Duramax
2007.5 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CCSB LMM Duramax - Triple Black (SOLD)
2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 CCSB AFM Deleted - Olympic White (SOLD)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:22 AM
Banned

Your going to spend 5k just getting that truck ready for regular use. (After you get it home). Id rather take my chances on a ford 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerobytez View Post
I dont know too much about the 6.5 detroits, everything I've read and heard says they're reasonably reliable but anemic in the power department. I'm obviously biased towards a duramax (go figure) but If I was in your shoes with your budget looking for a work truck I would get into an LB7 duramax before a 6.5 any day of the week. I'm not sure where you live but in my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) decent higher mileage LB7's can be had for around $4000.
I'm in North Carolina but would drive across the US for a $4k LB7 any day of the week. Wisconsin? Yeah it might take me a week to get home but I'd do it!

Thanks for the info!

2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC Dmax LMM/Allison Combo 4X4 Mods: Tinted front windows 20%, Color Matched door handles,spayed in wheel liners, Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover and all Badges Emblems Removed, EFI Live, and 5" MBRP Turbo Back w/6" Tip
To Be Installed
Transgo Jr and Bigger tires!

www.huskerdiesel.com

http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode