Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2002 wont start, P0206,p0208,p1261,p1262

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Defrost77 
#1 ·
I just finished replacing the CP3 and now it won't start. Actually it will start but dies right away, if I try to start right away it will just crank, if I let it sit about 10 seconds it will start and die. I have a lift pump that keeps the filter pump hard, but when the pump is off the pump will not get hard no matter how many times I pump it. Fuel comes out of the schrader(sp?) valve. So all that sounds like a leak, right? But everything looks dry, no diesel smell, never touched the filter assembly, and I would think the lift pump would pressurize all of the low side plumbing, yes? I checked for codes and came up with po206(cylinder 6 injector circuit problem), po208(cylinder 8 injector circuit problem), p1261(Injector Voltage control circuit group 1), p1262(Injector Voltage control circuit group 2). Don't know much about the circuitry - I read someone had the same codes and it was a connector but they weren't very descriptive about where/what. There is a 4 wire (I think) plug behind the alternator that was a pain to disconnect with something very similar on the other side of the motor that was also very difficult to disconnect. I poked around the one behind the alternator but it looks well seated - but I don't know if this is part of the injector circuit or not. I cleared the codes and tried starting again, same start die and same codes came up.

I changed the pump due to increasingly low rail pressure demand verses delivered. Also my crank case filled with diesel - I have read cracked injector but also could be CP3 and since I knew the CP3 was going bad I decided to start there. I would think even if it was an injector leaking the truck would start after the pump change out because it seemed to start/run fine beforehand. I suspect the diesel in the oil was gradual instead of all of a sudden because I noticed the oil pressure being a little low over a long (200 mile trip) and then overflowed on the return trip home - didn't notice until stopped and unloading the trailer. Injectors have about 30K miles (done by shop before I bought the truck), truck has about 175K.

Would a bad electrical connection cause not being able to pump to prime? Doubtful - but no leaks that I can see and no fuel smell. Wouldn't the lift pump keep enough flow/pressure to start/die repeatedly instead of needing to wait 10 seconds?

Any thoughts? I did read a post that had the exact same symptoms (the starting part - they didn't list any codes) but that was from 2009 and no resolution was posted.

If you suggest a connection please be descriptive as I am not very knowledgeable about the acronyms, etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
Update - found out which injectors are 6 and 8 - did some more searching and decided the connectors I described above are for the injectors. Poked at the connector - made sure it was seated (it didn't move). Also removed/re-connected the upper big connector that has the lever clamp. Truck started right up. So bad connection...? But since the connector was seated already it means whatever the bad connection was it can come back. I will remove some stuff to get better access and disconnect/reconnect a couple of times I guess. Now to monitor the oil for diesel.

#3 ·
You might think of using a contact cleaner on both sides of that connection. Most any cleaner, such as MAF cleaner, Deoxit, etc will get the job done.

#5 · (Edited)
More info:

DTC P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, P0206, P0207, or P0208

Diagnostic Instructions

DTC Descriptors

DTC P0201

• Fuel Injector 1 Control Circuit
DTC P0202

• Fuel Injector 2 Control Circuit
DTC P0203

• Fuel Injector 3 Control Circuit
DTC P0204

• Fuel Injector 4 Control Circuit
DTC P0205

• Fuel Injector 5 Control Circuit
DTC P0206

• Fuel Injector 6 Control Circuit
DTC P0207

• Fuel Injector 7 Control Circuit
DTC P0208

• Fuel Injector 8 Control Circuit
Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit/System Description

The engine control module (ECM) supplies voltage to each fuel injector on the injector positive voltage control circuits. The ECM energizes each fuel injector by grounding the control circuit of that fuel injector. The ECM monitors the status of the injector positive voltage control circuits and the fuel injector control circuits. The injectors are separated into the following four groups:

• Group 1-DTC P2146 with injectors 1 and 4
  • Group 2-DTC P2149 with injectors 6 and 7
  • Group 3-DTC P2152 with injectors 2 and 5
  • Group 4-DTC P2155 with injectors 3 and 8
When a fuel injector circuit condition is detected by the ECM, the affected fuel injectors will be disabled and may disable the affected group of fuel injectors.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• The engine is running.
  • The charging system voltage is between 10-18 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The ECM injector output driver detects an incorrect current on a fuel injector circuit.
  • The condition exists for 1 second.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTCs P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, P0206, P0207, and P0208 are Type A DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

DTCs P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, P0206, P0207, and P0208 are Type A DTCs.

Circuit/System Testing

Important: If you cannot duplicate the condition, operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.

Observe the DTC information with a scan tool. If DTC P2146, P2149, P2152 or P2155 are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.

One Fuel Injector DTC Sets

1. Test the affected fuel injector control circuit for an open between the ECM and the fuel injector.
  2. Test the affected fuel injector for high resistance.

• If the circuit and fuel injector test normal, replace the ECM.
Two or More Fuel Injector DTCs Set

1. Test the affected fuel injector circuit for an following:

• An open between the ignition position voltage control circuit splice and the fuel injector connector
    • An open between the ECM and the ignition positive voltage control circuit splice

1. Test the affected fuel injector for high resistance.

• If the circuit and fuel injector test normal, replace the ECM.
Component Testing

1. Disconnect the connector of the fuel injector to be tested.
  2. Connect a DMM between the terminals of the fuel injector and measure the resistance. The resistance should be 0.2-0.3 ohms.
If the resistance is more than 0.2-0.3 ohms resistance, replace the fuel injecto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.