Fuel Leak, Rusted Lines & Lift Pump - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Aftermarket Mods. Discuss what Mods are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Fuel Leak, Rusted Lines & Lift Pump

Hey all. So living here in NJ my truck has a fair amount of surface rust & grime underneath. I replaced the brake lines with a full SS set a few years back and knew the fuel lines would go soon as they are all corroded.

Filled my truck up Tuesday and found a nice puddle in the driveway (1 gallon maybe) on Weds morning. Looked like it was leaking from the top of the tank somewhere.

I also have a FASS lift pump system I got last year and never installed in my garage. But now that I am leaking I have a few questions

1- Does the rubber supply/return hose in the FASS kit replace the fuel lines from the engine back to the braided lines on the tank, or is it just enough hose for the pump install. Lines-to-go has the pre-bent SS lines but I don't want to buy them if I can use the FASS hose for the whole run.

2- I am thinking it is my sending unit, gasket, or braided tank hoses from the tank to the exposed fuel lines. If I need to remove the bed or drop the tank, and expect to find everything rusted, I just want to do it all now. Lines to go has SS braided lines that I could go with. Just want to confirm that would be pretty much "everything" as it relates to the fuel system under the truck and no longer have to worry about corrosion. And is there a "better" option for the sending unit or just get an OEM replacement.

Anything else to consider while I do this? I don't want to do a sump kit, but I heard some people add valves on the lift pump?
Any other tricks, tools, knowledge?

Thanks guys
Rich

2005 GMC CCLB LLY

Just about 100% stock
AFE MP, downpipe, full 5" exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:48 AM

I had a return line rust thru last winter, I replaced the hard lines with 3/8th hose from where the line attaches under hood on drivers side to the fuel cooler in front of fuel tank. My leak was ahead of the fuel tank( thank gawd). I bought the very same 1/2 inch hose that is used with the fass system and plan on replacing the feed line with that and removing the factory hard lines and getting things all tidy. Think i'll go from where the fass feed out is up to the front, just not sure how I'm going to plug in up by motor, could just clamp it like i did the return line to whats there but may go strait to CP3, not sure yet.
Not enough hose with the kit, i had like 2-3 foot left over. I did a sump with feed and return on it so that could be an option if its leaking on top of tank. I think the sump kit may bypass the feed side on top of tank but the return still runs on top of tank? I could be wrong there?

2008 3500 DRW, EFI with Rob's tunes, PPE downpipe and Flopro 5in strait pipe, HSP Y bridge/egr delete, HSP hot side I/C pipe, PVC rerouted, Fass 165, CTS 2, Trans go jr, Airaid intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode