Engine Brake on Manual Transmission Truck - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Aftermarket Mods. Discuss what Mods are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crreed67 View Post
Good point J83. I'll have to do some looking to figure out what to wire to what but it's a start.
Here is a write up I did about the TB on my first LMM. In it I reference one or two previous threads where I actually got the information and how to knowledge.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...lmm-works.html

In one of them there is a link or a pic of the pinout for the C2 connector to the ECM. That is where the pin is located, #53. #11 is for the light.

There is also another pin you can connect to a small incandescent light to let you know when the TB is working.

My advice DON"T Bother. When it works you Will Know, you wont' need a light to tell.

As far as the pins go, I got mine from the Local GM dealer's Parts Manager. He gave me two of them and I had our Avionics guy crimp them onto some wire. It is a standard Molex crimp but requires a special Molex tool.

They can be purchased online already crimped to a length of wire.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 08-10-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Here is a write up I did about the TB on my first LMM. In it I reference one or two previous threads where I actually got the information and how to knowledge.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...lmm-works.html

In one of them there is a link or a pic of the pinout for the C2 connector to the ECM. That is where the pin is located, #53. #11 is for the light.

There is also another pin you can connect to a small incandescent light to let you know when the TB is working.

My advice DON"T Bother. When it works you Will Know, you wont' need a light to tell.

As far as the pins go, I got mine from the Local GM dealer's Parts Manager. He gave me two of them and I had our Avionics guy crimp them onto some wire. It is a standard Molex crimp but requires a special Molex tool.

They can be purchased online already crimped to a length of wire.
Very good write-up but I have a manual 6 speed transmission and there-in lies my concerns. There is no tow/haul switch so would I have to wire up a switch to turn it on and off or what?...........I am lost.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:13 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I never understood the need for a switch with the mod.
Just jump the pins, make it all the time like the MD trucks are. Which is what the T/H switch does, returns it to it's all the time natural state it's built for.

With the tuning woke up (auto), the TB works all the time. It's just more noticeably aggressive with the T/H light on, with the TC lock up and higher RPMs vs mall cruise mode.

Do the pins, see if it kicks in.
I wanna know now that you've brought it up.

With the Auto, the grade braking kicks in 1st, followed by the TB a few seconds later.
Manual - you've got the grade braking covered.
It's not instantaneous on our Autos, so you may or may not have to wait a bit for it when you pull up off the throttle.

Exciting!

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
I never understood the need for a switch with the mod.
Just jump the pins, make it all the time like the MD trucks are. Which is what the T/H switch does, returns it to it's all the time natural state it's built for.

With the tuning woke up (auto), the TB works all the time. It's just more noticeably aggressive with the T/H light on, with the TC lock up and higher RPMs vs mall cruise mode.

Do the pins, see if it kicks in.
I wanna know now that you've brought it up.

With the Auto, the grade braking kicks in 1st, followed by the TB a few seconds later.
Manual - you've got the grade braking covered.
It's not instantaneous on our Autos, so you may or may not have to wait a bit for it when you pull up off the throttle.

Exciting!
for me the need for the switch is to turn it off when not towing heavy. When it kicks in and you are light it is very aggressive. When I first did that mod I had no switch, I just grounded the wire to see if it worked, MAN did it work,

It is not necessary to activate TH to have it function either, TH or not, when the switch is on, the TB is on, period.

I cannot say what a manual xmsn would do but it seems to me that it would be akin to the MD trucks, no TH needed because it is literally in TH constantly.

Im betting the logic is in the ECM for all the aforementioned reasons in this thread, but the only way to find out is to ground Pin #53 in the C2 connector and see what it does.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 08-11-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well..... I've been looking at the C2 connector and the instructions written up and I believe it's more than I want to bite off. It seems easy enough but the way my luck runs I know I'd screw something up and bee into it for a lot of money to fix my errors. Would I also need any kind of tune with it after it was wired up correctly? I wonder if there is an EFI tune or something similar that would do this without having to do the wiring to the C2 connector? I'm just not sure of my abilities on this one.
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What is this Edge CTS I'm reading about. Anything with it to help with this?
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:42 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
No. It's a monitor of the state of things.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:43 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Pretty much everyone that has EFI tuning also has the turbo brake function.
Most have multiple tunes on a switch with one having the TB function.

My tune in my signature is the only tune I have, it has the turbo brake function, I use it 24/7 365 leap year 366.
It functions with RPM’s when the rpms drop below about 1800 the TB function kicks off.

Start contacting some of the EFI tuners, starting with Ridge Runner diesel, Danville Performance and Motor Ops.
If your not deleting any emissions stuff then Duramax Tuner.

In your case probably a switch would be necessary, but
Your questions need to be asked and answered by a actual EFILive tuner.

Edge Insight CS2 or CTS2 is only a monitor/gauge nothing else, like what’s already been mentioned.
The only way to add the TB is thru wiring with a switch like you’ve already checked out or EFILive tuning.
https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cts2
It’s possible you might be able to switch between tunes with a CS2/CTS2 this I don’t know for sure, depending on the year Duramax, this you’ll also have to asked a EFI TUNER.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 08-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll check with those guys you mentioned first of the week about EFI tuning. A switch really doesn't bother me, I'm just not comfortable messing with the ecm connector and the like. I don't plan on doing any deleting so maybe Duramax tuner will work. Thanks for all the feedback and if anyone thinks of something to add please do. I'll keep you posted on my progress...if there is any. Thanks again.
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:23 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I wasn’t to thrilled wiring a DSP2 or DSP5, so I elected to just go with single load one at a time tunes, pretty much the same thing you’d have to do.
I was in a walker at that time, at least one maybe 2 guys fried their ecm trying to wire for the switch, no shop in town would mess with the ecm.
I know many say it’s easy, but I’d just as soon not give’er a shot, and be labeled chicken.

Just call them and pick their brain.
Good Luck

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 08-11-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode