Engine Brake on Manual Transmission Truck - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Aftermarket Mods. Discuss what Mods are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:40 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

If you did not have the wired engine brake with a off switch, everytime you let off the throttle no matter what speed your traveling the brake would activate, same as the Jake brake on the big rigs and the engine brake on the Dodge Cummins, Iíve driven both.
If you forget to turn it off and your getting a little sleepy behind the steering wheel, as soon as you let off the throttle a little this wake you up.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:45 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Pretty easy to find searching the subject on this forum.
407driver and several others has done this mod.
As far as pins go if you really want to go to a junk yard by all means do it.
The pins are easily available for much less $ than your time driving around.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...rbo-brake.html

If this will work for your application

sometimes i forget not everyone lives within a reasonable driving distance of like 6 junk yards.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:04 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Junk yards are the last places on earth that Iíd even want to visit, none very close anyway.
Iíve shopped junk yards online for parts for my 91 Geo Tracker, I had no other choice.
The best part was they was 1,000ís of miles away, I had the parts shipped to my front door.
Then had to send the ABS controller to Cardone to have it rebuilt, no sense putting on a 28 year old used part with a maybe 25-40% chance itíd even work properly.

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Junk yards are the last places on earth that Iíd even want to visit, none very close anyway.
Iíve shopped junk yards online for parts for my 91 Geo Tracker, I had no other choice.
The best part was they was 1,000ís of miles away, I had the parts shipped to my front door.
Then had to send the ABS controller to Cardone to have it rebuilt, no sense putting on a 28 year old used part with a maybe 25-40% chance itíd even work properly.
the couple i like going to are nice, they leave you alone and let you walk around. You pull what you want and they tell you how much it is, for little things like small bolts, clips ect they dont even charge me most of the time. I think i have enough assorted bolts, nuts, clips and other small items at this point to build 80% of a new silverado.

post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:48 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Your probably not dealing with 115* - 120* days.
Not very pleasant unless the junk yard is inside a air conditioned building.

But, I know what your saying.

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:06 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Your probably not dealing with 115* - 120* days.
Not very pleasant unless the junk yard is inside a air conditioned building.

But, I know what your saying.
If it ever gets to be 115 in Alaska I'm moving to Mars. I usually aim for the 50's for pick and pull day.

post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:22 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
If it ever gets to be 115 in Alaska I'm moving to Mars. I usually aim for the 50's for pick and pull day.
Thatíd give me about 1 week out of the year.

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crreed67 View Post
Well..... I've been looking at the C2 connector and the instructions written up and I believe it's more than I want to bite off. It seems easy enough but the way my luck runs I know I'd screw something up and bee into it for a lot of money to fix my errors. Would I also need any kind of tune with it after it was wired up correctly? I wonder if there is an EFI tune or something similar that would do this without having to do the wiring to the C2 connector? I'm just not sure of my abilities on this one.
It isn't really that difficult. You are not doing anything to any other pin in the connector. The fool proof method of insuring you don't mess something up is to disconnect Both Neg battery cables before touching the connector. Then leave them off til you have everything else back together

The diagrams in the threads I have linked show you precisely where the #53 pin is located.

But if you study it and are not comfortable you can always get some mechanic who is comfortable with that to do it for you.

If all you want though is a stock tune with the Turbo Brake activated Rob at ATP Trucks can probably write a Stock Tune (No Deletes) for you.

He cannot "tune" trucks any longer but they told me they could help me with a stock tune if I wanted one. No EPA problems with a stock tune and a TB that I can envision.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Made a few calls and it seems it's not going to be a problem to do with EFI live tunes and a DSP5 switch. I believe my new problems, er decisions, will be picking out 5 different tunes. For the turbo brake to function I am told there needs to be tow tunes. Seems most have a heavy and light tow. I don't understand why the light tow tunes have more horsepower than the heavy tow tunes though. Anyway.......Any suggestions on which tunes are welcome. My engine is all stock and I don't want to race or blow any kind of smoke or make a lot of noise. I just would like to get some extra noticeable power without tearing anything up in the motor or drivetrain. And of course the Turbo Brake option. But with 5 tunes to pick I'm kind of not sure what to do. Please chime in on your thoughts. Looks like this is going to come together after all.
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:05 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
I just would like to get some extra noticeable power without tearing anything up in the motor or drivetrain. And of course the Turbo Brake option.
Towing and Tunes don't go well together. That's why the "HEAVY' is barley anything above stock output. 'LIGHT' tow, a bit more.
But you never want a hot tune with a heavy load hooked on.

While these tunes are tailored for the more popular Allison option, the same holds true for your ZF6. That's one of the reason it was discontinued, as it wasn't holding up to the higher stock output of future Gen versions.

That, and less than 15% of the population even knows who to drive a stick anymore.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode