Engine Brake on Manual Transmission Truck - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Aftermarket Mods. Discuss what Mods are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:28 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
I got used to a Jacobs "Jake" Brake driving tractor trailers and I miss it. I am thinking the turbo brake will be similar
It's more subtle.
If you liked running the Jake, I don't see why you wouldn't like the TB on full time, no switch.

Do the pin mod, then Put that $700 towards a lift pump & aux filter kit.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Check a little more on doing the ecm wire with switch thatíd save you about $740
I researched it a lot and figured I'd rather spend a little bit now and get it done right and safer than screw it up myself and spend a lot more getting it fixed. From what I've been reading I'm sure I'll enjoy the extra power the tunes will give me also. This forum is a wealth of knowledge.
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:53 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Be careful with how much extra power you add, that could be a bigger problem.
You’ll find many bragging running 100, 150 + hp with no issues, most end up trading in with issues just around the corner.
One recently running 150hp tune for a few years then started complaining the engines smoking more and making more rattling sound, lost 3-4 mpg.
He refused to accept maybe his 150 tune was not a good idea, that I don’t know what I’m talking about, then continued asking what’s causing his problems.

Go no more than about 30-40 hp which would be close to a heavy tow tune.
Don’t let anyone talk you into adding more, and they will.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Be careful with how much extra power you add, that could be a bigger problem.
Youíll find many bragging running 100, 150 + hp with no issues, most end up trading in with issues just around the corner.
One recently running 150hp tune for a few years then started complaining the engines smoking more and making more rattling sound, lost 3-4 mpg.
He refused to accept maybe his 150 tune was not a good idea, that I donít know what Iím talking about, then continued asking whatís causing his problems.

Go no more than about 30-40 hp which would be close to a heavy tow tune.
Donít let anyone talk you into adding more, and they will.
Yeah, I don't want a lot more power. I've just read that my 2006 lly,lbz or whatever is just a tuned down 2007 lbz. Would like to get that extra little nudge the 2007's are getting and maybe a touch more. Definitely not looking for the big HP numbers like you said 100, 150. Probably just add 50, maybe 60 tops to my stock. I think I'm at 300HP right now. I don't run hard either. Just ease it up and down the road. Like you said the heavy tow tune probably.
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got my autocal with 5 tunes and my DSP5 switch installed over the weekend. Thank you to Hook'em_Horns! for the recommendation you gave me on where to get them. First thing, The fellow I dealt with was very nice, helpful and seemed knowledegable. He followed through with everything he said he was going to do and it was fast. Now.....

I have come to the conclusion that these tunes, not just mine, but most are probably more beneficial to those with automatic transmissions. My tunes are as follows:
1- +20 No TB
2- +25 TB
3- +50 TB
4- +100 TB
5- +125 No TB
I have run each one for a while an to be honest I can't tell any difference from any of them from stock. As far as the Turbo Brake goes if I'm wound up to about 2800 or so RPM's an let off I can fell a slight hold back and if I switch off to a tune without it while slowing I can feel the resistance let up just a bit. But even going downhill with no load the truck or not towing anything the truck will still pick up speed while the TB is engaged. As far as pulling power each one feels just like it did without any tunes.

I know the switch is working, I checked it with the autocal as it changes numbers when I move the switch. I guess the EGR is turned off and I'm putting in a blocker plate as well this week per the guys recommendation and my speedometer seems to be corrected for my tires which were 2 sizes up from stock.

You guys think that maybe this was just a $750.00 lesson on manual transmissions and using tunes or is something else going on. The guy who did the tunes said I would fell a pretty big difference from stock, especially the +120 tune, but it all seems pretty much the same to me. Surely this guy knew what he was doing? Or is there something we're missing because of the ZF6 Transmission?

Any ideas or questions are welcome.
post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:57 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
You should at least feel a more sensitive throttle off the line.
Did he say they have experience with tuning a ZF-6?

I have no experience with the switch, single tune only (I just wanted the TB active).
Check with the Tuner on your concerns, perhaps he can troubleshoot and verify it's all hooked up and working correctly?

No experience with the manual either. Sry.
But with the Auto, I don't really feel the TB unless there's a load on. More weight, more noticeable. And the Rs will climb with more gradient and weight, than what you might see with a Jake.

With a manual, it's more aggressive when you throttle down, than the grade braking we feel on the Auto is. Maybe with yours, it masks the TB increase?
Just throwing things out there.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:39 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Ive had two 08 LMMs. The first one was teh one I installed the TB with the pin in the ECM. The second one has the TB in the tune.

I have noticed the TB seemed to be MUCH more aggressive with the grounded pin than the one with the TB in the tune.

Since these are two different trucks I really can't tell you if the difference is the method used to activate the TB or the trucks themselves.

If I knew for sure it was the method of activating the TB I would do the mod on the current truck which has the TB activated in the tune.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
You should at least feel a more sensitive throttle off the line.
Did he say they have experience with tuning a ZF-6?

I have no experience with the switch, single tune only (I just wanted the TB active).
Check with the Tuner on your concerns, perhaps he can troubleshoot and verify it's all hooked up and working correctly?

No experience with the manual either. Sry.
But with the Auto, I don't really feel the TB unless there's a load on. More weight, more noticeable. And the Rs will climb with more gradient and weight, than what you might see with a Jake.

With a manual, it's more aggressive when you throttle down, than the grade braking we feel on the Auto is. Maybe with yours, it masks the TB increase?
Just throwing things out there.
There's maybe a little bit more throttle response but it's not enough to really notice and maybe it's the same as stock. It just doesn't seem to be there. I put some tunes on my 2015 F-150 and I could immediately tell a difference. Of course it's automatic.... I might give the guy a call and get his input on it today.
post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:58 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

One way to see if your egr is turned off would be to unplug it, if you don’t get a check engine light, it’s off, if you do then it’s still functioning and more than likely your tunes didn’t load correctly.
Comparing manual to auto

Turbo brake functioning, oh! you’ll know and your speed will NOT increase.
It’s pretty close to a boat or a jet ski, when you let off the throttle you would have a big drag slowing you down, even empty.

Wiring a turbo brake, if you don’t use a switch, it’ll get very irritating, every time your accelerating to pick up speed, when you let off the throttle even the slightest to shift the turbo brake will engage slowing you down.
Anyone that’s driven a truck that has a jake brake has experienced this when trying to pick up speed, it’s a quick reminder to switch’er off.

If your not really feeling much if any difference between the tunes, and you don’t feel any aggressive slowing down with the TB, which probably kicks out around 1500-1800 rpms, then more than likely your tunes didn’t load.
This is probably where a wired TB would work much better with having a manual trans.

Yes, give your tuner a call, whoever that is.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Ive had two 08 LMMs. The first one was teh one I installed the TB with the pin in the ECM. The second one has the TB in the tune.

I have noticed the TB seemed to be MUCH more aggressive with the grounded pin than the one with the TB in the tune.

Since these are two different trucks I really can't tell you if the difference is the method used to activate the TB or the trucks themselves.

If I knew for sure it was the method of activating the TB I would do the mod on the current truck which has the TB activated in the tune.
The guy that tuned it said the TB had to be turned on in the tune and if I didn't want to use it switch to a tune without it. I just can't figure out why there's no noticeable difference in power or like Hook'em_Horns! said a more sensitive throttle.
It's Cornfusing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode