Engine Brake on Manual Transmission Truck - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Aftermarket Mods. Discuss what Mods are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine Brake on Manual Transmission Truck

I have a 2006 2500HD Duramx with a ZF S6-650 manual transmission. It has 111,500 miles on it and the engine is completely stock. I've been reading up on engine brakes and using the turbo vanes to somehow to act like an engine brake. Any recommendations and is this even possible with this model truck with a manual transmission. For motor reference the VIN is 1GCHK29296E171158.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:18 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Interesting topic ?.

Unfortunately, you're the Unicorn in the room, with so few of the ZF6 combos made, even more so with your '2' LLZ. Not because it's flawed, there's just not that much info out there from Users.

The mod for waking up the Turbo Brake is based on Medium Duty logic left in the ECM used on the Light Duty. I don't think the Kodiak/Topkick ever came with a manual trans, so wondering too if it (TB) was ever in the ECM tuning, which would be somewhat different for the manual trans.

In using the TB with the Allison, 1st comes the grade braking from the TCM, and then a few seconds later, the TB kicks in on top of that. Increase the throttle just a tad and the TB drops out, then let off and it kicks back in.

It's not instantaneous like with a Jacob's Brake or a true exhaust brake with a butterfly valve just past the down pipe. More subtle.
It'd be interesting to know if it works on yours.

Try the mod and see?

I've often thought about how the feel is like with the ZF6, running grades and towing, vs the Allison.
Raised on a Manual, I had considered an Auto as a disposable trans for those who didn't have the coordination for clutch shifting, as I had so many fail over the years.

I had sworn them off, never again.

So I was very apprehensive going into my 1st Dmax/Allison from my old 6.5T 5-speed shaker, when they 1st came out.
That's now a thought in the very distant past, as I no longer walk with a limp,....my left leg as returned to the same size as the Right.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 08-03-2019 at 07:21 AM.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Interesting topic ?.

Unfortunately, you're the Unicorn in the room, with so few of the ZF6 combos made, even more so with your '2' LLZ. Not because it's flawed, there's just not that much info out there from Users.

The mod for waking up the Turbo Brake is based on Medium Duty logic left in the ECM used on the Light Duty. I don't think the Kodiak/Topkick ever came with a manual trans, so wondering too if it (TB) was ever in the ECM tuning, which would be somewhat different for the manual trans.

In using the TB with the Allison, 1st comes the grade braking from the TCM, and then a few seconds later, the TB kicks in on top of that. Increase the throttle just a tad and the TB drops out, then let off and it kicks back in.

It's not instantaneous like with a Jacob's Brake or a true exhaust brake with a butterfly valve just past the down pipe. More subtle.
It'd be interesting to know if it works on yours.

Try the mod and see?

I've often thought about how the feel is like with the ZF6, running grades and towing, vs the Allison.
Raised on a Manual, I had considered an Auto as a disposable trans for those who didn't have the coordination for clutch shifting, as I had so many fail over the years.

I had sworn them off, never again.

So I was very apprehensive going into my 1st Dmax/Allison from my old 6.5T 5-speed shaker, when they 1st came out.
That's now a thought in the very distant past, as I no longer walk with a limp,....my left leg as returned to the same size as the Right.
It does seem to be a unicorn of sorts. That's why I am asking the good people here for help. I'm kinda at a loss for information and also for finding any. I hope someone chimes in with a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't guess anyone can find or has anything on this. I'm at a loss also. Still researching though........
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:55 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

The mod is very simple to install, you could wire up the switch and see if it works with the manual transmission. My bet would be that it does. GM really has a thing for re-using whats not broken so i doubt they went and reinvented the wheel to bolt that transmission up to the duramax. I i further doubt they went out of there way to create a whole new tune firmware for that combo and instead just reused the auto firmware with some tweaks. It would cost money to remove things and test the functionality so i also doubt they went out of there way to remove the turbo brake logic since it would almost certainly mean more testing to make sure the firmware was still stable. Theres a lot of features on a lot of trucks that are simply turned off and can be enabled in various ways.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good point J83. I'll have to do some looking to figure out what to wire to what but it's a start.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:25 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crreed67 View Post
Good point J83. I'll have to do some looking to figure out what to wire to what but it's a start.
there is a guide in the how to section on doing this mod, if i remember right you just need a toggle switch, some wire, and a couple ECM pins (personally id rip them off a connector at a junk yard) plus basic tools.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll check it out.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:15 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Pretty easy to find searching the subject on this forum.
407driver and several others has done this mod.
As far as pins go if you really want to go to a junk yard by all means do it.
The pins are easily available for much less $ than your time driving around.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...rbo-brake.html

If this will work for your application

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 08-09-2019 at 07:20 PM.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Pretty easy to find searching the subject on this forum.
407driver and several others has done this mod.
As far as pins go if you really want to go to a junk yard by all means do it.
The pins are easily available for much less $ than your time driving around.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...rbo-brake.html

If this will work for your application
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode