FASS Cavitation Issue - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Aftermarket Mods. Discuss what Mods are right for you.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
FASS Cavitation Issue

So I have a basically stock 2012 Duramax LML 95K miles on it and decided to do a little fuel system upgrade. No I didn't do a ton of research on lift pumps, just enough to decide on a FASS system like any man would do. While internet shopping, I decided to go with the 165 vs. the 95. The install went well and I completed it placing the FASS under the fuel fill inlet.

I installed the unit according to directions and the job went smooth. I bled system and fired up the truck. It had air sound going through the filters and thought, "Maybe I need to bleed it again?" So I repeated the bleeding several times. After this I was still having annoying (cavitation) noise coming from the filters.

I called FASS and talked with "Rick" he told me that the stock fuel sending unit was probably the issue. I watched several videos about the subject and decided to pull the sending unit and clean the screen. I found there was NO screen, just 2 - 3/8" holes in the bottom of the sending unit. I called FAAS and spoke to, you guessed it...Rick. He confirmed what I thought I might do. Drill about 4 - 1/2" holes in the bottom-side of the unit to let more fuel in. This did not work..same cavitation noise, but did improve power a little. The main difference is I went from 1/4 tank of fuel to FULL...all the time...

QUESTION: Does anyone think there is any way that the 5/8" tank tube kit will fix this issue? I already have to drop a new fuel sending unit into the tank (I broke the float clips) the first time. The fuel pick up tube in the stock sending unit is only about 3/8" so I am wondering if the 5/8" tube is worth having to drill a hole in my fuel tank and if this might cure the cavitation.

Thanks
ChetMan

Chet Man USAF Retired AMMO Troop IYAAYAS
2012 GMC 2500 SLT LML / Stealth Gray Duramax
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...-lml-1573.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Opinion on the 5/8" tube fixing FASS cavitation sound?

Any opinions on this cavitation would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Man View Post

QUESTION: Does anyone think there is any way that the 5/8" tank tube kit will fix this issue?

I already have to drop a new fuel sending unit into the tank (I broke the float clips) the first time. The fuel pick up tube in the stock sending unit is only about 3/8" so I am wondering if the 5/8" tube is worth having to drill a hole in my fuel tank and if this might cure the cavitation.

Thanks
ChetMan

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:47 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Send everything back.... lick your wounds..... and buy a Kennedy like you should have from the beginning.
willydmax, SouthCo and Sierraluva like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Send everything back.... lick your wounds..... and buy a Kennedy like you should have from the beginning.
Never had a problem with my Kennedy. In fact Ive never even seen a post written with anything negative happening with them.
AlisoBob likes this.

🤘 Kennedy fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraluva View Post
Never had a problem with my Kennedy. In fact Ive never even seen a post written with anything negative happening with them.
Thank you for your input, however returning this product is no an option once it is installed.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:34 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Man View Post
Thank you for your input, however returning this product is no an option once it is installed.

If it's defective or if you bought it from a reputable seller, it should be returnable.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Thank you for your input, however returning this product is not an option once it is installed.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Thank you for your input, however returning this product is not an option once it is installed.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:20 PM

Donít buy the tank straw kit, Itís absolute garbage. Mine was throw down in the woods somewhere beside my shop. You can have it if you can find it. Buy a sump if anything, but Iíd try what everyone else is saying and send it back. I bought the Fass straw kit, Fass pump and Fass fuel filter delete. The pump is the only thing that actually worked as it should. Iíll go another route for sure next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 2500 HD LTZ
Cranked keys w/ Bilstein 5100s
Toyo M/T 275/65/20
Windshield tinted 35%
fronts 20%
and rears are 2%
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:10 PM

I have the STK-1003 in my Dmax. Zero issues with it or the FASS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Chevrolet CCSB Duramax - dpf delete, egr delete, pcv reroute, hsp cold air, hsp billet thermostat housing, hsp y-bridge cold side combo, banks ic pipe, efi tuned by ppei, FASS lift pump, dmax store downpipe, 5" mbrp exhaust, trans go jr, htt Promax 64, ppe shim kit, ppe ported rail fitting, bd drivers manifold, arp head studs, limitless diy kit built by me, limitless 1078 converter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode