Top Tier Diesel - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Top Tier Diesel

https://www.toptiergas.com/diesel-licensed-brands/
  • Must meet the stringent standards of the TOP TIERô Diesel Fuel Performance Standard, including best practice housekeeping to minimize particulate and water contamination.
  • Stations must prominently display the TOP TIERô logo at the fuel dispenser. NOTE: Not all stations of a licensed brand may be selling TOP TIERô Diesel Fuel. Find more information here.
  • Reduces Deposits, Increases Lubricity, and Improves Fuel Stability for a Cleaner Diesel Fuel. See below for more information on how TOP TIERô Diesel Fuel achieves these important attributes.

Currently only Costco and Fast Stop carry this designation. I have a Costco about 15-20 miles away that carries it. Probably ~10 cents cheaper/gal than stations closer. Is it worth the drive and forget about additives?

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Gm recommends it, but nearest station is 250 miles away. Havent done all the math yet, but lretty sure it wont work out for me.2
Babyhauler likes this.

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
https://www.toptiergas.com/diesel-licensed-brands/
  • Must meet the stringent standards of the TOP TIERô Diesel Fuel Performance Standard, including best practice housekeeping to minimize particulate and water contamination.
  • Stations must prominently display the TOP TIERô logo at the fuel dispenser. NOTE: Not all stations of a licensed brand may be selling TOP TIERô Diesel Fuel. Find more information here.
  • Reduces Deposits, Increases Lubricity, and Improves Fuel Stability for a Cleaner Diesel Fuel. See below for more information on how TOP TIERô Diesel Fuel achieves these important attributes.

Currently only Costco and Fast Stop carry this designation. I have a Costco about 15-20 miles away that carries it. Probably ~10 cents cheaper/gal than stations closer. Is it worth the drive and forget about additives?
My Costco in Bellingham Washington has top tier and 5% bio. As I understand it the 5% bio helps with Lubricity issues and that we have with ultra low sulphur diesel. This is supposed to be a big issue with the LML and the CP4 so I use Costco. I am not sure if it is good enough to not use the additives. There are other reasons additives are used and I too would like to know if top tier Costco diesel with Bio covers you on this. Till then Iím using the Hot shot extreme every 6 months and then stanadyne every fill up to be safe.

2016 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6l LML

DOP (used) 10/16/19 @ 8,641miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Nothing near me. I've been running B20 bio fuel from a local Mobil station. Not a mobil branded fuel. My primary fill location for both my LML and L5P. Knock on wood but my LML is on it's original fuel pimp at 185K with a Kennedy lift pump added at 120K.
eli_harper13 likes this.

2017 Sierra 2500HD Denali Dmax
2011 Silverado 3500HD Dually Dmax
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:26 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Costco's 5% Bio should help but what's missing is cetane boost, bio alone will not raise the cetane level, which in states like Arizona lacks.
I would continue using a additive with cetane boost, just for piece of mind.

Jbeck1986 & chuckd83 and anyone else that mentioned Costco's top tier, after reading your posts on Costco's top tier diesel, I searched and found only 2 Costco's in Arizona has Top Tier diesel with bio.
One's 7 miles from home the other is in Prescott about 100 miles away.

And as far as I can find out Costco is the only station with bio, at least within 200 miles of Phoenix.
But the question that I have is they claim Up to 5% that leaves the claim wide open, it can be anywhere from 0% to 5%.

Anyway I fueled up topping off with 19 gallons of this Top Tier and added about 6 ounces of Diesel Kleen concentrated formula when I gots home, to cover the lack of cetane.
Finding out if Costco can come up with a cetane # for their diesel fuel will be a challenge.

So THANKS for your post mentioning Costco's 5% bio, something to try, not that it'll do much more than what I've already been doing for years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg costco 2.jpg (37.5 KB, 164 views)
Busa Dave likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 11-16-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:18 PM

Garage
Yeah Iím not finding the Cetane rating either. Iím curious now. Is there a way to test for it? Like test strips? Or somewhere I can send the fuel to be tested?

2016 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6l LML

DOP (used) 10/16/19 @ 8,641miles.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:13 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeck1986 View Post
Yeah Iím not finding the Cetane rating either. Iím curious now. Is there a way to test for it? Like test strips? Or somewhere I can send the fuel to be tested?
Testing for cetane #'s is quite costly, no test strips that I've found.
You might start by the next time your at Costco asking the fuel attendant if he could find out from Costco's fuel additive master.
I asked for him to check this out, but I know I'll get a better response from my beagle.

What's interesting is the stations have to post octane ratings but cetane values is a government secret.
If you want to know put out the big bucks to test it, my thoughts anyway.
Babyhauler likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:42 AM

Top Tier testing

https://www.toptiergas.com/documents..._-_Feb2017.pdf

05 3500 LLY CCLB 4X4
AFE turbo mouthpiece,
Banks Ottomind 6, Banks Speed Brake,
Banks Ram Air intake w/super scoop, Banks Monster exhaust, Cat delete.
Pulling a 15K+ 5th wheel
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:59 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Not only are the suppliers 'mum' on cetane levels, but also the additive mfrs hide it with;
Improved Cetane, Cetane Plus+, etc.

You might find something like 'X points' (rare), which is a useless value if you don't know the baseline of the suppliers' fuel, which as stated, is a National Security secret held from the consumers.

Anything beyond a 55 will show no measurable gains. A wall if you will, where more is better is just $$ lost.

14 hrs in the saddle on Friday, running on fumes, was forced to fill with Valero.
Which is known for having the EPA minimum Cetane of 40.

Could've dropped a $20 to bridge the gap to a better source, But I didn't wanna be a Dick, breaking a Franklin late on a Friday night at a small remote Redneck owned store.

And....both bottles of Schaeffer's Diesel Treat on board....were empty (forgot to refill). So no boost on top of their crap fuel.

I punched it out the gate to match the night flow dark highway and..... a fuel limp.

Can't wait to burn thru this tank of Valero crap.
Gonna try a double dose of DT2000 later this afternoon, and top off the tank with something decent. Hope that's enough to compensate.
Busa Dave likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
bad link....DIESEL https://www.toptiergas.com/toptier_diesel_fuel/
Quote:
good housekeeping practices
Sounds to me like their big improvement is wearing sterile gloves to service the retail tanks.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode