Oil....is just oil. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Oil....is just oil.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-c...Aug-17-ENG.pdf

Read this slowly and carefully.

Oil... is just oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 12:01 AM

Real world data is just crazy talk and the mods need to shut this down ASAP.
BoiseRob, AlisoBob, BIOTEC and 2 others like this.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:46 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-c...Aug-17-ENG.pdf

Read this slowly and carefully.

Oil... is just oil.
I like it.

Only problem is that the fanboys will pick up on the small differences in the bar charts in that article and insist that the differences are meaningful. If the authors included the error bars (standard deviations) of the statistics in the bar charts we'd probably see that all those differences lie within a standard deviation of the overall average, which strongly indicates that those small differences are due to noise rather than anything structural in the data.

Then again...fanboys don't care about data. Forget what I said.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:48 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Pretty sure that a lot of folks will not understand standard deviation but I agree with you.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:57 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
Pretty sure that a lot of folks will not understand standard deviation but I agree with you.
I got ten bucks that says it's easier to explain the concept of a standard deviation to a normal person than to explain to an Amsoil fanboy that the oil he pours through his valve cover isn't going to bring him (or his truck) eternal youth.
BoiseRob, AlisoBob, JimmyD and 4 others like this.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 05:36 AM

waiting for a long winded rambling post from 666mydependsarefullofit.
I buy quality diesel oil thats on sale and use stockish style filter,,350k and still beating the daylights out of her.
Nitro Junkie likes this.

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:40 AM

Garage
First of all I prefer to use cheaper oil and change it often,but I will not agree that all oil is equal.I have used lots of amsoil in the past and one thing that will not lie is operating temp.Especially trans and diff.Put amsoil in and watch those temps drop.Just saying that for what its worth...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2004 lb7 260k mahle delipped pistons,lmm rods,arp head studs,45 overs,built trans,ppei tuning,366sxe,5inch exhaust
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 07:00 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer95 View Post
First of all I prefer to use cheaper oil and change it often,but I will not agree that all oil is equal.I have used lots of amsoil in the past and one thing that will not lie is operating temp.Especially trans and diff.Put amsoil in and watch those temps drop.Just saying that for what its worth...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Okay, here we go.

There are multiple sources of heat dissipation in lubricated mechanical systems. Interfaces between metal components that experience mutual "sliding" (bearing races, cylinders and piston rings, etc.) are one source, and we use lubricants to reduce the coefficients of friction at those interfaces to reduce the shear stress experienced by the components; this has the (generally positive) side effect of reducing heat dissipation at those interfaces because less mechanical work must be done to overcome friction (any work done to overcome friction is dissipated as heat). The other source is work done on the lubricant itself; i.e., in a differential the ring gear is turning and continuously mixing the gear oil. The rate of heat dissipation from fluid shear is proportional to the shear stress in the fluid, which is proportional to the fluid's viscosity. Ergo, for the same velocity gradient (i.e., amount of "mixing," speed of the ring gear, etc.), less viscous fluids will dissipate less heat. At the same time, the amount of heat dissipation at metal-metal interfaces will likely increase with decreasing viscosity, but not necessarily in a mathematically well-behaved manner. In other words, send me a big fat check and I'll fire up my CFD/FEA software and sell you a dubious answer to a very complex question.

The point is, a simple temperature reading is not a useful test of the relative efficacy of any lubricant.
HuckLB7 likes this.

post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 07:01 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
Real world data is just crazy talk and the mods need to shut this down ASAP.
My RED dot is bigger than yours.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 07:14 AM
Most Known Unknown

I run Castrol GTX High Mileage in my gasser, with a Fram filter
I run Rotella T4 in the Sierra Cummins, with the gray Mopar filter
I for a good while was running Amsoil in the LML, but now I just put Rotella T6 in and call it good, with an Amsoil filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode