oil life remaining - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taynm1 View Post
08 GMC, LMM. how reliable is the "% of oil life remaining" screen shown on the DIC? I am nearing my second oil change and the mileage on my truck is far less than the first oil change. Hope this makes sense.
Comments please!
I (and you should, IMO :tease) treat the DIC as a suggestion as to where the extreme level is. Itís a good thing they added, as it varies with your usage, It gives the owner a base point to work from, depending on their use and abuse.

I use the ĎBí trip meter to keep up with the Oil change intervals and compare that to the DICís version of what percentage is left. I pull/haul beyond GMís suggested limits on a daily basis in at times, tough conditions. My changes are in the 5k area with the DIC reporting in the 40-percentile area, along with the Allison spin-on.

$9.85 here: Diesel Filters by Application - FleetFilter Online Store

Fuel filters at around 50% on the DIC, which is around 6-7k miles, unless performance changes, then sooner. Fluids and filters cost for me averages $66 every 5k miles or so, not bad I think.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

So, got a new truck and after driving it for about 2,800 miles, oil life DIC was saying to have it serviced. Went in to the dealer, they couldn't figure out why that was occurring, they changed oil and reset DIC back to 100% oil life. After going another 1,700 miles, oil life showed 44% left before changing it again. Doesn't make any sense! I do get the idea of every 5,000 and based on use, driving, towing, hauling, etc... but I barely do any of any of these things, just normal driving, so curious as to if anyone had nay feedback, similar experience or any ideas what's happening... Thanks!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:21 PM

My DIC has always been in the 10-20% range with OCI around 8k miles. Minimal towing (maybe a bumper trailer with total pull weight of <2k #

This last oil change: 7% at a 2k miles. 300 to 400 miles of those were towing heaving (~14k #). The only difference is that I tuned it and towed heavy. However, the heavy tow only accounted for 15-20% of my total mileage.

I sent off the oil for analysis yesterday. If I remember, i'll post the results on here even though I have a decent feeling the results will be "why did you change it?".

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak View Post
So, got a new truck and after driving it for about 2,800 miles, oil life DIC was saying to have it serviced. Went in to the dealer, they couldn't figure out why that was occurring, they changed oil and reset DIC back to 100% oil life. After going another 1,700 miles, oil life showed 44% left before changing it again. Doesn't make any sense! I do get the idea of every 5,000 and based on use, driving, towing, hauling, etc... but I barely do any of any of these things, just normal driving, so curious as to if anyone had nay feedback, similar experience or any ideas what's happening... Thanks!

What year is yours? Somewhere on here there is a post saying the DIC on the '19s was reading fast and GM was looking at the problem. Don't know why the algorithm for the '19 would be any different than the '17 and '18.

2019 GMC 2500HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode