b100 which duramx to buy - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

b100 which duramx to buy

Searching this site forum, no luck finding topic for which engines are good to use b100? Which duramax engine/year is good to run b100. I realize the changing of fuel filters may be more often, but which engine is safe to run b100
I was thinking prior to 2007?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM

GM only allows b5 in everything but the LML which alows b20.

That being said I have experimented with biodiesel blends for awhile with my LB7 (2001-2004). The LB7 is already known for injector issues and they are a b#$%^h to change. But these lines of engines (mostly) have no pollution controls which is nice. The next generations 2004.5-2007 are LLY and LBZ which have much better injector design and are much easier to change when they do go bad and the only pollution controls are EGR and catalitic converter which will operate fine or can be easily disabled. 2007 to 2010? are LMM and they have the same injection as the LLY and LBZ but they use an exhaust stroke injection to regenerate the DPF this is bad mojo for the engine oil and unless you delete the DPF system b100 is not advisable. the 2011? to current are LMLs and have a separate injector in the exhaust to regenerate the DPF so b20 is safe and I would think would work ok with b100 but it might tax the DEF and Regen cycles a bit too much.

There are so many people with so many theories when it comes to biodiesel and almost without exception they are off base. the only real issue with bio is cold weather issues, and it tends to clean the fuel system so well that you go through filters for the first few 1000 miles, beyond that is is great stuff.

LB7 2004, CCSB. Straight pipe, K&N, AD100, EFI Live IdahoRob, Big Head WG, Edge CTS, Studs, Profab Horn, SPX Turboost 64mm IHI , Tinker with B100, WMO, WVO.

If fuel prices get any higher I am going to cut a whole in my floor and Fred Flintstone this Bitch!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I realize warranty issues, not worried. I own a 2006 jetta tdi, that I run on b100 (when I can find it!) Looking to sell my 87 toyota pick up and get something that will run on b100. I realize the fuel filter will be replaced often, at first. Fuel injectors are definitely a concern.
how about 1990's models?

Last edited by biod100; 01-14-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

The 6.5 GM diesels ( I have heard all of this, no first hand) but they use an optical fuel quality sensor that does not like different fuels. the older 6.2 will run on anything but they are complete non-turbocharged dogs.

If I were to get a true multi-fuel vehicle and I am some day, I would get a 2nd generation cummins 5.9L 12 valve with the "P" pump 1994ish to 1998.5ish (older ones work good too but these are the best). Proven to run on absolutly anything!

It looks like you are only buying b100 so many of the issues others have had (including me) have more to do with home brews.

I have used bio and other fuels in my dmax and I have a jeep liberty with the 2.8L diesel. These are both CRD diesel and running bio in them works but they are very touchy and the cost involved with injector failures can be quite high. but again this has more to do with home brew than store baught b100.

LB7 2004, CCSB. Straight pipe, K&N, AD100, EFI Live IdahoRob, Big Head WG, Edge CTS, Studs, Profab Horn, SPX Turboost 64mm IHI , Tinker with B100, WMO, WVO.

If fuel prices get any higher I am going to cut a whole in my floor and Fred Flintstone this Bitch!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, yes, I will be purchasing b100. I travel too much to make it myself. I was all geared up to try making it, til it dawned on me that I really couldn't commit to picking up the used grease.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

You can run B100 in a LBZ just fine. You will loose some power. One of my good friends did it for around 80k miles, made his own fuel, no issues whatsoever. He filtere dit down to 1 micron before putting it in the tank. I would atleast get rid of the cat and EGR.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:43 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

IMO, make sure your filtration is in good shape and that you have good filters. Bio is a solvent, and may loosen up junk in your tank.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

-Justin

03 F350|PSD|6.0|4x4|PowerMax|155CC Injectors|Elite Diesel Fuel Return|Built Trans|4" turbo back
10 848|Stock

Formerly - 03|PSD|CCLB|Oxford White|4x4
Formerly - 08|PSD|CCSB|Platinum White|4x4
Formerly - 06|LBZ|CCSB|Summit White|4x4
Formerly - 07|LBZ|CCSB|Summit White|4x4
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 05:29 PM

LB7, LLY or LBZ should all love it. FWIW I haven't had injector problems on my LB7 since switching to B100...actually makes me leery of putting dino in the tank!

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax LB7
EFI Live tuning by Duramaxtuner.com
High Flow Turbo Horn, PPE Boost Valve, S&B Intake, 3" Downpipe, Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
Cognito UCA's, Steering Support Kit, Kryptonite Tie Rods, Pump Rub Upgrade, FASS Platinum 150
214k and counting...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 06:11 PM

My LLY LOVES B1. I lose a litle bit of power with B1. The sweet spot is between 50 and 100. Engine is sooooooooo quiet and cool on B1. Enjoy. Oh yeah, buy a bunch of filters when you first start the B1. I now run a fuel lab lift, Cat 2 micron and Nictane 1 micron and have zero issues.

2005 CCSB LilLY White, De-badged,Lined Bed
3"DP, 5" Straight, S&B Mouth, PCV, EGR, Fuelabs 200
HSP Y & Coldside, Studded w/ C's, Pinned Pump
CTS Monitoring Rob's Tunes on my stock trans
4"Tuff Country EZ Ride (came with it:taunt)
And of course YOUR SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!
6.6 Life
Performance Truck Products
Thanks to Adrenaline Truck Performance for my goodies and Rob's Tune's
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 06:42 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

My untouched completely stock LBZ is running b100 with zero issues. It actually has been getting just a touch better MPGs and running quieter. I don't make it, I'm getting it from a reputable supplier in Western NC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode