When to add DEF fluid - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

When to add DEF fluid

I was wondering what people's habits are when adding DEF fluid. This is my first diesel that I have had to add DEF and with 15,000 miles I've only filled it up a few times. Got the message again today that it is low, but the previous times I let it go till the warning of speed limitations came on then added. My thinking on this is that since DEF does have a shelf life if I pretty much ran the system out I would have all fresh in compared adding a 2.5 every few thousand or so. Is there any harm in running the tank dry? I know you really don't want to run these newer diesels low on fuel because of potential increased contamination in a low tank. The times I have filled up it has taken five gallons. I have been going to the dealer and getting the AC Delco stuff just in case I ever had an issue. It's more expensive but who cares if it's $5 more I guess. This is my farm pickup so I almost never get 50 miles away from my house so it would be unlikely I'd ever get in a situation where it would actually be speed limited before I could get DEF.

2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
Crew Cab 4x4 SB
Cocoa Dune Interior
18" Wheels
LT265/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A
B&W Turnover Ball

Previous:
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT LMM
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 08:54 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

What you're doing 2.5 gals at a time is exactly what I did when all that was on my truck and it worked well, I never had a poor def fluid quality light. I also only used AC delco. My truck didn't get a whole lot of miles put on it on a regular basis, so that's the strategy I used. Wait for the warning message and add 2.5gals. I've seen a lot of dmaxes over in our Chevy shop with the def tanks being pumped out due to poor def quality, people constantly topping them off and or getting cheap def that's been sitting on the shelf too long. I know our chevy parts department purges the def every few months, if it's old it gets tossed. I'd keep doing what you're doing, like I said it worked well for me.

2011 BOWTIE LML ECSB SRW 4WD
Leveled, Debadged no moldings, CP3'd
WCFab Motorops Exergy Fass Beans TechAFX S&B HSP AFE Donaldson Kryptonite Cognito Bilstein AMSOIL ISSpro Nitto etc etc etc
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah my local dealer goes thru a lot of DEF and he keeps it in the back of the shop in a dark area. I have been tempted at times to buy some on sale DEF at the local NAPA or farm store, but there is just no way knowing how old it is. I'm sure it's fine, but you never know.

Crew Cab 4x4 SB
Cocoa Dune Interior
18" Wheels
B&W Turnover Ball

Previous:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:02 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Another reason to delete DEF lol
Sierraluva likes this.

06 LBZ ECLB
5% tints | 5" straight pipe with axle dump | 20" lml wheels with 33x12.5 MTs | motorsporttech aluminum custom spacers | power steering cooler with magnefine | awaiting retrofit....
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 PM

I'm almost at 6k miles and I haven't had to add any Def fluid yet
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 11:10 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

I use to add when id get the 1st warning. Use the DEF from the DEF pumps at truck stops. Much cheaper in price at 2.50-2.70$ a gal. Plus its just as fresh or fresher then the jugs from parts stores & dealers.

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Turbo resonator delete plug, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pacer LED cab lights, GM dually light bar under tailgate, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Wilson 2000 CB antenna, Kenwood speakers, GM chrome oval running boards, Bilstein 5100s, Michelin Defender M/S on PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Dmax Machine View Post
I use to add when id get the 1st warning. Use the DEF from the DEF pumps at truck stops. Much cheaper in price at 2.50-2.70$ a gal. Plus its just as fresh or fresher then the jugs from parts stores & dealers.
Yeah the margin on that stuff must be insane. I mean it's water and some urea! It cost me $30 for five gallons at my local Chevy dealer. Nuts.

Crew Cab 4x4 SB
Cocoa Dune Interior
18" Wheels
B&W Turnover Ball

Previous:
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbby911 View Post
I'm almost at 6k miles and I haven't had to add any Def fluid yet
Seems like I've been adding every 4-5K or so. I haven't been all that impressed with the mileage, hoped it would be better. So far a lifetime average of about 14. My LMM was usually around 13 so it's slightly better, but was hoping for more. However, the LML weighs about 700 lbs more than the LMM so that does make a little difference I'm sure.

Crew Cab 4x4 SB
Cocoa Dune Interior
18" Wheels
B&W Turnover Ball

Previous:
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 AM

I top mine off about every other week and never let it get low.

One thing I do is shake the DEF container up before adding any. I wipe the cap off to remove any crusted DEF off it before putting it back on.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 11:06 AM
JBD
DuramaxForum n00b

I usually wait until I get to the 300 miles to derate message and then fill 5 gallons. The dealer filled the truck once and I filled the next two times and I've never had a problem. I get the Blue DEF from my local Sam's Club. They move through it pretty quickly so I know what I'm getting isn't old and it costs about $22 for the two containers.

2015 Silverado 2500 LTZ Z71 CCLB 4x4

2003 Silverado 2500 LT CCSB 4x4 - Edge CS, MBRP 4" Dual Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode