Cold Stuttering Fixed w/ Hot Shot's Secret - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Cold Stuttering Fixed w/ Hot Shot's Secret

I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on this, since I'm so happy with it.

My truck (2013 LML) has been doing something odd for the past 5 years after it rolled 20k miles. Before it warms up, not stone cold, but right at the first tick on the temp gauge which I think is 180 degrees, if you roll past 50% throttle, it would make a stuttering sound. It ran find, and power was smooth, but it sounded horrible. Like if you'd be embarrassed if your Ford/Dodge friend heard it. I searched and found nothing about it, so I had no idea how to address it. I just always drive easy until it's warmed up.

Well, now that I'm at 33k, I added Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator at the last oil change. I ran that for a couple weeks and noticed nothing different in regard to the stuttering. Then I added 10 oz Hot Shot's Diesel Extreme to the fuel. After a couple weeks, the stuttering stopped!

I don't normally believe in snake oil remedies, but this seems to have worked in this case. And the truck is running awesome too. So, I'm pretty stoked about that.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | DRW #255 | "I pay full price for everything!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:16 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer350 View Post
I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on this, since I'm so happy with it.

My truck (2013 LML) has been doing something odd for the past 5 years after it rolled 20k miles. Before it warms up, not stone cold, but right at the first tick on the temp gauge which I think is 180 degrees, if you roll past 50% throttle, it would make a stuttering sound. It ran find, and power was smooth, but it sounded horrible. Like if you'd be embarrassed if your Ford/Dodge friend heard it. I searched and found nothing about it, so I had no idea how to address it. I just always drive easy until it's warmed up.

Well, now that I'm at 33k, I added Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator at the last oil change. I ran that for a couple weeks and noticed nothing different in regard to the stuttering. Then I added 10 oz Hot Shot's Diesel Extreme to the fuel. After a couple weeks, the stuttering stopped!

I don't normally believe in snake oil remedies, but this seems to have worked in this case. And the truck is running awesome too. So, I'm pretty stoked about that.

first, who has power stroke owning friends, i thought those guys just asexually replicated?

second, it sounds like you have some kind of tolerance issue. Clearly what you described is not normal operation for the engine, if adding additional lubrication to the fuel side of the engine resolved the problem then there is some component(s) in that system that are not fitted correctly to spec, or are for some reason seized. Im not sure i would rely on a lubricant to bandaid that problem long term.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, well now I'm worried again. I assumed something was just gummed up and now it's cleaned out.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | DRW #255 | "I pay full price for everything!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmm, well now I'm worried again. I assumed something was just gummed up and now it's cleaned out.
stop using the additive and see if the sound comes back. If it does, mechanical issue, if it does not, gunk removed successfully.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm already on next tank of fuel without it. This was the once-every-oil-change treatment, so I'll have a while to see. The only thing I could think of that would be affected by this is the injection pump- which is scary.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:24 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm already on next tank of fuel without it. This was the once-every-oil-change treatment, so I'll have a while to see. The only thing I could think of that would be affected by this is the injection pump- which is scary.
stuttering could also be caused by air entering the system, or a sticky bearing in the filter head as well as a bunch of other things. Its not necessarily a CP3. It may also be nothing. Im just weary of additives that make life changing differences. That said, Stanadyne completely stopped my old LB7 from smoking when the injectors went, but as soon as i stopped using it for more than a tank or two it would come back. so that was a mechanical problem not a sludge problem. given everything after the CP3 is running at 20K+ PSI, i dont think theres a lot of sludge sticking around, but a sticky valve in the filter head is an option.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks for the info. If the problem returns, I'll check out that filter valve.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:29 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Just as soon as the ECT needle starts to rise the ECT is actually about 100*- 106*, you might need to let'er warm up a little more before you roll past 50% throttle.
I'd be a little leery with using oil additives for the purpose you did, maybe a very high mileage engine, and if you used the recommended dose 64 ounce on the first change that probably wouldn't have been be a good idea.

Fuel additives are good and used for this reason (not what hotshot claims with the oil additive) and continue using in every tank if possible, diesel fuel quality is going down it needs a little boost.
I do use Lucas Oil stabilizer additive (proven product for me anyways on other engines) but just 1 ounce per quart so a total of 10 ounces per oil change, probably not enough to really do anything but it makes me happy.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 01-12-2019 at 01:45 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

The only reason I used anything is to stay on top of stiction since I'm running conventional oil- Delvac. And the recommended oil treatment was 1 quart (32 oz). It did nothing, but I noticed the stuttering went away when I added 10 oz of the fuel additive. This is the one you do yearly or with every oil change. Also, the stuttering didn't happen when totally cold, just at that middle tick on the gauge which as I believe is 185 or so since it's half way between 160 and 210. So, not cold and not fully warmed up, which is weird. No one takes it more easy on cold engines that I do, and I've driven that way for almost 30 years.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:09 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

A wild guess, probably 70% - 80% of diesels run Dino oil withOUT oil additives, not necessary, until maybe real high mileage engines.

But it’s a good selling point for hotshot to claim their stiction oil additive is needed at least every year, even on a low mileage engine.

Me personally your the only one I’ve ever read about being concerned about stiction, on any mileage Diesel engine.
But I’ll agree that some can get sucked in on stuff that’s unnecessary, this is a sales pitch gimmick.

But if it makes you feel more comfortable using the stickler stuff, that’s all that matters.
Diesel fuel additive is the most widely used stuff that makes smart sense, this is why your concerns went away, you used fuel additives.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode