DEF useage - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

DEF useage

My question is if there is any way to tell how much DEF is in the tank. I have had the truck just about a year, in August I did need to put some in, the message center said it was getting low. I was doing to towing on vacation pulling my fifth wheel trailer. I know that when the truck works harder the more DEF is used. Since that time I have not put any in the tank, the system says level is OK. I have probably driven 6,000 miles since then and no messages that more DEF is needed. I guess I can just trust the system, but I am curious about the amount being used. I will be heading out for a long trip in another 6 weeks, I just don't want there to be any problems. Suggestions? or am I just worried over nothing?

Craig Coppola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

It will go from OK to a percentage. I pick-up two 2.5 gallon boxes of Peak Blue Def from Wally World and throw it in the bed when I know it's getting low and I'm towing heavy. What year is your truck? The newer models have a larger Def tank.

2005 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
2008 Yamaha Zuma YW 50

2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Black on Black
2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M Toy Hauler
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 09:12 PM

I was going to start a thread about this very subject but Iíll just hijack yours

Iím in the exact same boat, bought my truck last March. I assume the dealer topped the def off but I never actually asked. Sometime back in the summer I got the % message so I added one 2.5 gallon jug and nothing since. Iíve put almost 8k miles on mine, most of that driving around on the farm or quick trips to town with the occasional long trip or tow. I canít remember the mileage since I topped off but it seems like I should be long overdue for more def?

16í C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled on 35s, Kennedy pump, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

My truck is 2018, I believe the DEF tank is like 7 gallons, perhaps from the factory there is just a minimum amount to say it is at OK level.

Craig Coppola
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:12 PM

A general rule of thumb is approx one gallon of DEF for every 750-1,000 miles of normal unloaded driving. I've had mine go through as much as a gallon every 300 miles with a big trailer, lot's of hills and 80 MPH speeds.

If you purchased your truck new and used the dealer for the first couple included services (or Certified Pre-Owned maintenance) a couple gallons of DEF is included with the oil change so it may have been topped off without you knowing it.

I'd be really surprised if the truck went 8k miles on 5-6 gallons of DEF.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:32 PM

Mine was used, and like I said I assume the dealer topped it off before I bought it. Bought it end of March, added 2.5 gallon of def in July or August (I remember it was miserable hot outside) and Iíve not had to touch it since. The 8K is total miles since I bought it and I donít remember how many of that was before/after adding the fluid but I realized the other day and I should be due for some. I was just wondering what the normalish interval is for most people.

16í C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled on 35s, Kennedy pump, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 PM

Garage
I get around 1,000 miles from 1. gallon. My gauge is stuck at 24% for about a year.

2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 HD DRW
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:04 AM

Well, turns out I was right, I was low on fluid, like EMPTY. The def gauge in the truck was stuck on full, truck ran dry on def and caused a trip to the dealer and 18 days without my truck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode