new to me 06 diesel. 1.5yr old fuel in it. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

1Likes
  • 1 Post By J83

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
dcl

new to me 06 diesel. 1.5yr old fuel in it.

Hi guys. New guy here. Brand new to diesel trucks. I'm buying an 06 2500 d- max this weekend. Only 78k miles, but it's sat outside for 1.5 yrs. It was dealer maintained it's whole life. I'm wondering what you guys think about the fuel in it. Drain it and start over? Is there a way to flush the system and tank? I know it needs work,but hoping it will be reliable after its gone through. Been trying to search for an answer but not really getting a yes or no. Thanks in advance. Hopefully I won't have too many stupid question. dcl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:50 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I have no idea how old you are, or your background...... but do you really have to ask if running fuel that old thu a diesel engine is a good idea?

In case your wondering, the answer is No.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:11 PM

Although, I had a 6.2 liter diesel suburban that I filled up before I left to work overseas. It was in an unheated building in north Texas. When I came back to get it 7 years later it only had about 1/2 tank left. I did drain a little fuel out of it and it was real oily. I was just going to turn it over with starter till I got oil pressure but I couldn’t remember which wire it was, there were two on the ip. I obviously disconnected the wrong one because after about 5 seconds of cranking it fired off. Smoked up the hanger pretty good but ran fine. After about 15 mins of idling I drove it to nearest store, about 2 miles and filled it up with fresh.

But remember the older diesels would run on straight clean vegetable oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:19 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Change filter and Drain it all. Then see if you can get your hands on the ac delco injector cleaner and run that. Look up the how to on this forum. Then fill it with fresh diesel and a new filter and see how it runs. I would see what balance and return rates are afterwards. Maybe get a good additive like optilube and dump in the fuel tank too

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
dcl

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll put the info to good use. dcl
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:50 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
I have no idea how old you are, or your background...... but do you really have to ask if running fuel that old thu a diesel engine is a good idea?

In case your wondering, the answer is No.
^^ a little more direct than what i was going to say but no, you should not run diesel thats been sitting in the truck for 18 months. Diesel likes water, your truck does not like water. Water is also denser than diesel, so it will settle to the bottom of the tank if there is enough of it and you'll have a real bad day then. You should absolutely siphon out the tank, it would probably be a good idea to change all the other fluids and filters on the truck as well. at minimum change the oil and oil filter as well as the fuel filter. Bonus tasks would be to change the brake fluid, steering fluid, diff oil, well..... probably everything but coolant should be changed, and coolant depends on how gross it looks.

The problem with old fluids is that under normal use, they get hot, usually hot enough to boil off water, but at least hot enough to help vaporize the water. This prevents buildups of water in the oil and other fluids. When the truck sits, this allows water to accumulate without getting cooked off and you start running into issues.

You also probably want to replace the batteries... they are almost certainly shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkey52 View Post
Although, I had a 6.2 liter diesel suburban that I filled up before I left to work overseas. It was in an unheated building in north Texas. When I came back to get it 7 years later it only had about 1/2 tank left. I did drain a little fuel out of it and it was real oily. I was just going to turn it over with starter till I got oil pressure but I couldn’t remember which wire it was, there were two on the ip. I obviously disconnected the wrong one because after about 5 seconds of cranking it fired off. Smoked up the hanger pretty good but ran fine. After about 15 mins of idling I drove it to nearest store, about 2 miles and filled it up with fresh.

But remember the older diesels would run on straight clean vegetable oil.
yea... those old diesels would run on oil soaked gravel if you could get it into the engine... i would not flow that through a modern diesel though.
AlisoBob likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
dcl

Well I picked it up today. Absolutely no brakes, so on the trailer to the mechanic. Came up with a good plan... I think. fortunately owner dated all the filters, Had all the receipts from dealer service. Siphoning out the old fuel. add new fuel filter. Changing the oil. All new brake lines. he's also checking all the other fluids. Thanks again for the help. It looks like its going to be a solid truck after a good scrubbing and some shop time. dcl
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:03 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

This thread will be of use to you, but as others said, NO to running the old fuel.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode